ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Aspergers/Autism Spectrum/PDD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-03, 12:51 AM
Banned

Wheel1975 is on a distinguished road
I think what I share with Aspergers...

I think what I share with Asperger's is even more difficult than the ADHD. Is that possible?

I like this web resource....

http://www.udel.edu/bkirby/asperger/as_thru_years.html

ASPERGER SYNDROME
Stephen Bauer, M.D., M.P.H.

Click Here for Dr. Bauer's Bio

Introduction Epidemiology Definition Clinical Features
Through the Lifespan Thoughts for Management in School
Old 08-17-03, 06:59 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 5,597 Times in 2,417 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah, it's possible. I am 'Aspergers like' according to my psych. I have the difficulties but not the character. I have meltdowns, rages, take things literally, non-dominant hemisphere dysfunction, flapping (under stress) and I can relate quite easily to the writings of autistic people.
Old 08-17-03, 12:46 PM
Banned

Wheel1975 is on a distinguished road
I love conflict, paradox, disagreement, contrast, and conceptual elegance, similarity, identity, eqivalence, equality.

Ain't it great to be high functioning?

I think we have a real service to perfrom. Revealing what it is that we are actually reveals what others are too.

I'm still looking for a place that can load me down in my strenghts... I feel under utilized. I want to be used for my strenghts, a lot.

I did really well on "block design" in the psychometric tests recently. That explained a lot to me.

Becoming a Borg, by free will, would be a perfect setting for me... strong and defective at the same time. Share strenghts, shielded from personal weaknesses.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-03, 05:57 AM

tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute
I'm good at memorising numbers. I know all my numbers and I remember phone numbers and car rego numbers and anything to do with numbers.

I think I'm more ADD than AS coz I'm so wierd (in the hyperactive/silly way) but I am still a lot of AS.
Old 08-18-03, 11:04 AM
Forum Guru

jimmmaaa is on a distinguished road
Well, I hope you both feel welecome here.

My wife and are in the LONG PROCESS of getting our 5 year old son diaganose with AS. From everything we have read, coupled with our observations of our son, we are 90% or more sure that this where he is, or at the least he is somewhere on the Autism Spectrum.

Anyway, I am not sure how his life will be as he grows into adolescence and adulthood. His environment is very known to us right now since my wife homeschools our kids. I was wondering if the 2 of you, or anyone else on this board with Aspergers, has any advice for me as a parent that you think would be helpful for my son, in respect to raising him. We have been reading a lot, but I don't walk in his shoes.
Or maybe, what were some things that your parents did that you hated or drove you crazy, maybe being exactly the opposite of what they should have done I want to understand my son and love and take care of him the way he needs me to. Sometimes I know that I butt heads with him and I really want to be the best parent I can be for him, as he is uniquely made.

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
~Calvin Coolidge

“Never, never, never, never give up. “~Winston Churchill

Last edited by jimmmaaa; 08-18-03 at 11:17 AM..
Old 08-19-03, 06:48 AM

I teach my autistic son the ways of the world - basically - I explain everything to him. I help him learn self care so that when he is older he can live independantly is he wants. I explain to him how other people feel and what people think and how his actions are seen.
Old 08-24-03, 12:06 AM

Dwight is on a distinguished road
Hi Jimmmaaa,
I wish you and your wife all the best with helping your son. I'm afraid I can't offer much in the way of help as I've only recently discovered what AS is. But your son is off to a very good start, due to the fact that his parents have recognised the problem and are doing all they can to help.
But you were interested in knowing what parents did that we hated, drove us crazy and were the exact opposite of what they should have done. In the case of my parents it was continual nagging, ie: Look at me when I talk to you! Didn't you hear me?! Get your hands out of your pockets! Stand up straight! Don't just stand there, say something! Stop day dreaming and do something! and again, Look at me when I talk to you!, And so it went on and on. The effect this had was to only make me more and more self-conscious and fearful, until the point where I was perpetually afraid of doing something wrong, and most of the time I would get it wrong due to misinterpreting what I was being told or just general clumsiness.
Now I'm sure that if my parents had been aware that there was a problem, and if I was aware that there was a problem the situation would have been entirely different. But back in the 70's when I was growing up there really wasn't much info available for these sort of disorders. When I was a child I was simply thought of as 'shy and quiet, bit of day dreamer' and as an adult i've had difficulties with depression and anxiety due to not being able to cope with my 'shy' nature. But I was always made to feel that I could change my behaviour, to 'get over' my apparent shyness. I remember my mum saying things like "don't be afraid to talk to them, they won't bight your head off". So why after 30 years have I not been able to stop being shy and start talking to people? Because I have AS. If I had known this when I as 5, things would be different now. Of course AS isn't as simple as shyness alone, as you know there are many factors which contribute to the syndrome, but it seems this is how it's perceived by non-AS people who aren't even aware of the syndrome.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to bore you with a 'hard-done-by-childhood' story. These days I am more happy & relaxed, and with a little knowledge of my condition, I am able to look to my past and now things make sense - there is an answer and reason to the way I am, I no longer have to feel guilty or ashamed to be 'different'.
And I guess it does briefly illustrate how the wrong start to child's life with AS can lead to, or even snowball, the effects of AS in adult life - and it is much harder when you've got to stand on your own two feet and be a responsible adult.
The best advice I can give is to listen, be (very) patient, and make sure you understand what your son is communicating to you. Because his methods mightn't be as direct as talking, it may be visual or behavioural. And make sure your son understands what your are communicating to him - be very clear and detailed with any instructions, even ask him to repeat what you have told him, but above all just remain calm and patient. Kids with AS are very sensitive, and will easily become upset and give up trying. Of course they can't be wrapped in cottonwool all the time, but that's a case for discerning, parental wisdom.
Take care of yourselves,
regards,
Dwight
Old 08-24-03, 10:44 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Keppig has disabled reputation
I'm currently trying to get my daughter tested for AS for nothing seems to help her. She has been diagnosed ADD, OCD, but she never really fit the descriptions. All I do know, is that she prefers being by herself and doing things alone. She has no friends and she talks in a baby voice most of the time, she hates talking about her day or how she feels, She also is completely focused on Pokemon, has been for at least 7 years with no signs of letting up. She draws them, researches them, buys the cards and the games, she has taped each episode at least three or four times. He doesn't care about her appearance. She also reacts oddly to situations, such as birthdays, holidays, wither its fun or not. But she's highly creative, and she doesn't need to be entertained.. oh she's almost 16. Any insight in AS would be appreciated.
Old 08-24-03, 10:54 PM
Forum Guru

Thanks Dwight for your very well thought out repsonse to my questions. I find it very difficult at times to understand my son. I find myself reacting to his behavior and I know I need to stop, take a deep breath and slow down to listen. If I did my heels in and he just gets more upset and runs away, like what is happening at the moment. My son will get upset and stuck on something and I have a hard time staying calm without getting emotionally hooked into the situation, which ALWAYS makes it worse. In general it is hard for me not to get hooked into an emotionally charge situation.

Well Thank you Dwight for giving me some advice as someone who DOES walk in the same type of shoes as my son. I really do want to understand him and take care of him the way he needs. It is very hard.

Thanks again,
James

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
~Calvin Coolidge

Old 08-25-03, 02:20 PM
Favorite "Aunt Joan" to Little Jessica

joanrdtobe will become famous soon enough
James: I was thinking of you this weekend...and was thinking that isn't it GREAT that your son, with all of his difficulties, was born to parents who are married and love each other and are together and want to care for him in the best way possible??? I think the fact that you care about him and want to give him as much care as possible and want to DO everything possible is EVERYTHING....Can you imagine what it would be like if he were born to crappy parents who fought all the time and hated each other....and had a crappy marriage???and who weren't committed to staying together no matter what??? I don't know.....perhaps God gave you and your wife this kid for a reason.....God knew you and your wife could handle it....??? God knew you and your wife's marriage was SO strong and SO filled with love and commitment that it could withstand raising this type of child.....And knew this kid would be uncondtitionally loved no matter what despite his difficulties and despite the troubles he brought to the family??? And it certainly sounds like he is.....Any truth in this????

"If you change the way you look at things -- the things you look at change"

Dr. Wayne Dyer (The Power of Intention)
Old 08-25-03, 03:09 PM
Forum Guru

Unhappy

Yes...There is Joan...Thanks Joan for the great words...But it doesn't make it any easier. It hit me kind of hard last night. I just broke down about it all and I am kind of teary right now as I write this.

I know that Jack is a gift to us and God gave him to us because He will give us the strength to be the best for Jack. I also know that God will teach us a lot about HIS love for us through Jack. I know we are learning about unconditional love as you said.

Here is a song that sums up our thoughts very well about Jack:

Fingerprints Of God
Written by Steven Curtis Chapman
©1999 Sparrow Song / Peach Hill Songs / BMI / Admin. by EMI Christian Music Publishing
For Emily
Psalm 139: 14, 15 / Php. 1:6
I can see the tears filling Your eyes
And I know where they're coming from
They're coming from a heart that's broken in two
By what you don't see
The person in the mirror
Doesn't look like the magazine
Oh, but when I look at you it's clear to me that...

I can see the fingerprints of God
When I look at you
I can see the fingerprints of God
And I know it's true
You're a masterpiece
That all creation quietly applauds
And you're covered with the fingerprints of God

Never has there been and never again
Will there be another you
Fashioned by God's hand
And perfectly planned
To be just who you are
And what He's been creating
Since the first beat of your heart
Is a living breathing priceless work of art and...

Just look at you
You're a wonder in the making
Oh, and God's not through, no
In fact, He's just getting started and ...

Here are the Bible verses listed at the top:

Psalm 139:14, 15
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.
My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,

Philippians 1:6
being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.

I guess it sometimes is easy to know in my head that we are going through hard things with Jack, but to let the emotions come out is a different story. There are so many unkowns for me....I have hopes and dreams for my kids and I don't know what will still be the same and different in what those hope and dreams will for Jack. And do not mean I am giving up on having dreams for him...I guess it is a lot to deal with....Maybe I forgot to mention that Jack has an appointment at the MIND Institute on October 29th, 2 days after my birthday. Up to this point, it has been all this Medial-Insurance-Bureucratic-Red-Tape-Hoop-Jumping mess. Really it is hard to believe, sort of like I feel something is going to fall through and our health insurance is not going to really cover this.

I was reading some of that book, The Explosive Child, and talking to my wife last night and I just broke down and cried over it all. Well I am rambling on about this, but it is possibly one of the hardest things I have ever dealt with. I know we will be sustained through it all, but it is hard and scary and very emotional for me.

Thanks so much again Joan, for all the great things you said and about me and my wife.

~Calvin Coolidge

Last edited by jimmmaaa; 08-25-03 at 03:25 PM..
Old 08-25-03, 04:04 PM

No other people's words do not make it easier....That is true....Even other people who are going through the same experiences as you....THEIR words do not make things easier.......I know with all the unknowns, it must be hard and scarey......VERY hard and scarey with all the unknowns....This is probably the hardest thing you will ever go through in your life....which is why I guess a day at a time is the only way to go....

I am sorry you are sad.....I do love your poem, Fingerprints of God....

An appointment with the Mind Institute just two days after your birthday??? Hmmmm. Is that a birthday present to you from God? Now why would God take away the insurance benefits for that appointment which took you so long to get. I just bet it WILL be covered....

And it's important to let the feelings come....(is it hard for men to do that?)......not to let them build up.....it's good you and your wife can share feelings that deeply....Jack is lucky to have you and your wife as parents....

I did not say all those things about you and your wife....YOU did....I just paraphrased them back from what I read in all of your posts

Old 08-25-03, 05:43 PM
Forum Guru

Well, it was kind of you to remind me of what I said, Joan.

Actually, The Fingerprints of God is a song by a singer named Steven Curtis Chapman. My wife has a binder full of all the information relating to Jack with that song on the front, along with a picture of Jack. It makes me a little teary thinking about it.

For me, I can express my feeling, but sometimes they hit me all at once, almost seems like it is out of the blue, but it is not. Usually something triggers them. Well I guess there is a lot going on. On Thursday and Today my wife had to take my son for testing. She homeschools our kids, but it is through a Charter School program. So our kids are officially student of the State of CA, but my wife teaches them. We get some money each somester for books and so forth. Along with that, the Charter School district also has a Special Education Dept. So a lot has gone on the past few days, and it is hitting me.

~Calvin Coolidge

Old 08-25-03, 06:01 PM

Know what James? Let me clarify. I wasn't reminding you of what you said. I've been continually always reading your posts here and now telliing you in my own words what I've interpreted you as having said.....sort of drawing my own conclusions about you and your wife....that would be more accurate of what I was doing....so does that make more sense???

Well I can understand feelings coming on all at once....getting triggered like when you look at his scrapbook.......so cry away on your wife's shoulder...hey it's very healing.....

Old 08-25-03, 08:35 PM

P.S. James I want to let you know I'm right there with you all the way....routing for you and your wife and Jack....

In fact, to send good karma, I will read a little bit of Explosive Child everytime I visit Borders.....I have read the first chapter and a half already....and the book seems to always be right where I leave it.....in the parenting section....