ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-19, 11:38 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,225 Times in 997 Posts
KarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond repute
Emdr

Hi!

Have any of you heard of (or tried) EMDR? It's apparently a type of therapy designed for trauma, and one of my practitioners recommended that I consider it, particularly to address the social and performance anxiety secondary to my ADD.
Old 05-27-19, 09:35 AM
ADDvanced Member

TheDreamer has a spectacular aura aboutTheDreamer has a spectacular aura about
Re: Emdr

I've tried it a year ago to deal with childhood bullying and other issues (anxiety, depression).

It was ridiculously expensive here ($150 for 45 mins) so I only went there twice, with the second one being a double session.

Be prepared that it requires a bit of suspension of disbelief as you will probably be seated in front of a "light rod" where your eyes should focus on a dot that quickly moves left/right and back again. While also focusing on tapping your legs with your hands in a certain pattern and (possibly) listening to some sound in headphones (my T did not do that last part).

While the above is going on I was to close my eyes and tell the T about the traumatic experience. I think it worked fairly well the first session (we focused on one issue per 45 mins), as I felt some kind of relief when leaving.

The second time started out good, but in the second 45 mins she seemed to want to stop me or direct me when I went out on a tangent in my "story" which felt kind of weird - I think it would have been better had she let me continue.

Anyway - after that I didn't really think the cost/benefit was good enough for me to continue. I've heard others say that you need like 10 sessions for it to be effective - and I can see that it probably could help.
KarmanMonkey (06-05-19)
Old 06-05-19, 09:27 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,225 Times in 997 Posts
KarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond repute

Your description of your second session is kind of why I'm hesitant. We're supposed to pick an event and stick with it? What do I choose? How will I possibly stay on a topic that I've trained myself for so long to try and park so it doesn't stay with me all day?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-19, 12:56 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,213 Times in 2,935 Posts
Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmanMonkey View Post
Your description of your second session is kind of why I'm hesitant. We're supposed to pick an event and stick with it? What do I choose? How will I possibly stay on a topic that I've trained myself for so long to try and park so it doesn't stay with me all day?

Its up to the therapist to choose the event.
Generally you dont want to start with something that is maximally threatening.

It usually takes a number of sessions-- 5-10
If you think it is expensive look at the cost of long term medication or long term emotional instability interfering with your employability.

Whenever you see a crowd all rushing in the same direction on any one issue, run in the opposite direction.

There is neither fun nor profit to be had in polishing the brass knobs on a bandwagon.
Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

Old 06-07-19, 05:17 AM
ADDvanced Member

PI-ADHD 29 is on a distinguished road

I think emdr may help for depression or anxiety but not for adhd.
Is there anyone who has completely and permanently been treated just by emdr?
Started with ritalin (worked only for two weeks)
Also tried wellbutrin and strattera
Now: ritalin and medikinet
For about three years local corticosteroid pomades for atopic dermatitis.
Old 06-13-19, 07:12 AM
ADDvanced Member

TheDreamer has a spectacular aura aboutTheDreamer has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I have a bit of a photographic memory when it comes to my childhood (when the events induced high stress/emotions) and I've ruminated a lot on these memories, so it wasn't hard to choose.

If no such memory can be produced, I'm not sure how effective the therapy would be. I think it was designed to deal with traumatic experiences mainly?

I'm currently in "talk therapy" and it feels like I get more bang for the buck there. Sure, had I known for sure that EMDR would help me I would have stayed for 10 sessions or so, but I could feel a clear decline in the helpfulness even after said second session, so that is why I left.
Old 06-26-19, 04:26 AM

Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PI-ADHD 29 View Post
I think emdr may help for depression or anxiety but not for adhd.
Is there anyone who has completely and permanently been treated just by emdr?

I would be really surprised if ADHD could be fixed by EMDR. Its mechanism of causation is very different to emotional trauma.

However people with ADHD may have an element of trauma that is treatable by EMDR. As a rule ADHD individuals have emotions that are more difficult to stabilise, and they are likely to stay hyperaroused longer after a trauma.

Whenever you see a crowd all rushing in the same direction on any one issue, run in the opposite direction.

There is neither fun nor profit to be had in polishing the brass knobs on a bandwagon.
Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kunga Dorji For This Useful Post:
aeon (06-26-19)
Old 06-26-19, 04:30 AM

Quote:

All these issues should be addressed in the first session - which is usually about taking a full history and choosing a suitable subject.

Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kunga Dorji For This Useful Post:
aeon (06-26-19)