ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-10, 12:07 PM
ADDvanced Member

resa is on a distinguished road
Question ADHD and learning disabilities related?

I was just curious if it is common for an adhder to have learning disabilities of some type. I have always wondered if I had a learning disability. Is a psychiatrist or psychologist able to determine if one has a learning disability? Anyone know of any online self test that may help detect a learning disability? I know all online test are not a 'diagnosis' of any sort.......
Old 08-11-10, 12:32 PM
Contributor

fropunka is a jewel in the roughfropunka is a jewel in the roughfropunka is a jewel in the rough
Re: ADHD and learning disabilities related?

As far as I know, it is common to have ADHD and a learning disability. I've read about a few of them, but in my opinion taking an online test is a waste of time because there are SO many differen't LDs.

Hearing problems, eye problems, math disorders, reading disorders, spatial reasoning disorders...the list never ends.

If I were though...I'd be Cashews.

But Daddy, I WANT IT NOW!!!-vercua salt
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fropunka For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (08-12-10), ginniebean (08-11-10), Michiko74 (08-11-10), resa (08-12-10), sacgirl88 (09-04-13)
Old 08-11-10, 02:58 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,639 Times in 1,734 Posts
Impetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond repute

I have read similar things. I was diagnosed with a nonverbal learning disorder at the same time as the ADHD. This means I don't read social cues very well, if you don't tell me, I won't know. My spatial perception is all kinds of wonky as well... that was fun with one of the ADHD tests. I managed to not take the test at all two times b/c I couldn't tell if i was clicking the mouse hard enough. The third time, the doc got smart called the program manufacturer. They had programmed in an option to confirm the subject was clicking properly. It was hard b/c I didn't get visual confirmation from the screen like when you use windows. An online test couldn't pick that up... just sayin'...

I agree with fropunka, a psychologist or psychiatrist will be able to tell you the best.
I often warn people: "Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity.
-George Carlin
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Impetus For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (08-12-10), resa (08-12-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-10, 03:47 PM

Thanked 10,443 Times in 3,292 Posts
Dizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond repute

Some statistics: Different studies may show different results. One of the reasons is that definitions of LD vary somewhat and different studies may use different criteria.

Basically the comorbid learning disability percentages are: Reading (8-39%), Spelling (12-26%), Math (12-33) (2007 figures)

The range is from different studies. The higher ones, I suspect, are more accurate.

This is from http://www.continuingedcourses.net/a.../course003.php

While probably not recommended for those just getting into the study of ADHD, this is an interesting site. It is official training for clinicians and for those who allege that Barkley is limited to what he has personally done studies on (as was discussed recently), this might be of interest.

Also, this is what it looks like when he writes for professionals. Especially look at the bibliography at the end. This is typical Barkley.

Resa, thanks for the question. While I was checking my stats, I ran into the course.

Dizfriz
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dizfriz For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (08-12-10), mimi'sdreaming (08-14-10), resa (08-12-10)
Old 08-11-10, 04:29 PM

Thanked 3,331 Times in 1,335 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute

There are significant comorbidities of learning disorders and ADHD, but I don't think it's fair to say they're "related" any more than one could say any significant comorbidity is related. Depression and anxiety go hand in hand but I wouldn't call them "related," as does juvenile bipolar disorder and ADHD (something like a 90% one way comorbidity). You could certainly call these related because of their, well, relation, but I guess it depends on what you mean by related?

Anything with significantly common comorbidity could be called "related."
ADHDTigger (08-12-10), Dizfriz (08-11-10), resa (08-12-10)
Old 08-11-10, 04:33 PM

The Bard is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMiller View Post
There are significant comorbidities of learning disorders and ADHD, but I don't think it's fair to say they're "related" any more than one could say any significant comorbidity is related. Depression and anxiety go hand in hand but I wouldn't call them "related," as does juvenile bipolar disorder and ADHD (something like a 90% one way comorbidity). You could certainly call these related because of their, well, relation, but I guess it depends on what you mean by related?

Anything with significantly common comorbidity could be called "related."
I really think much of these problems have a simular root that everyone likes to ignore.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Bard For This Useful Post:
resa (08-12-10)
Old 08-11-10, 05:04 PM

Thanked 3,331 Times in 1,335 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard View Post
I really think much of these problems have a simular root that everyone likes to ignore.
Which would be . . . ?
Dizfriz (08-13-10), resa (08-12-10)
Old 08-11-10, 08:49 PM
Contributor

Princess Moon is a glorious beacon of lightPrincess Moon is a glorious beacon of lightPrincess Moon is a glorious beacon of lightPrincess Moon is a glorious beacon of lightPrincess Moon is a glorious beacon of light

I have a learning disability. I have deficits in fine motor skills, visual-spatial skills, visual motor coordination, visual perception, visual processing, executive function, visual memory, visual motor coordination. It's often comorbid with learning disabilities because when one area of the brain is affected, many others are.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Princess Moon For This Useful Post:
ADDictive_714 (08-13-10), resa (08-12-10)
Old 08-12-10, 07:39 PM
ADDvanced Member

thanks for the information.
Old 08-12-10, 09:48 PM

ADDictive_714 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by resa View Post
I was just curious if it is common for an adhder to have learning disabilities of some type. I have always wondered if I had a learning disability. Is a psychiatrist or psychologist able to determine if one has a learning disability? Anyone know of any online self test that may help detect a learning disability? I know all online test are not a 'diagnosis' of any sort.......
Highly corelative!!! I have a documented math disability as well. I also had two developmental delays, one speech and one fine/gross motor skills. I outgrew the former, but not the latter. Hope that helps!
The Following User Says Thank You to ADDictive_714 For This Useful Post:
resa (08-12-10)
Old 08-12-10, 10:20 PM
ADDvanced Member

my son has a speech delay and some type of cognative delay, i cant remember the evaluation he was given. which was when he was 18 mths old he's 4 now and still has a speech delay. i think he may have adhd, some say he's to young to diagnose......
Old 08-13-10, 11:37 AM

ADDictive_714 is on a distinguished road

You're right, Resa, I've never seen a child diagnosed at 18 months, but with how advanced the medical/psychiatric fields have become in the last 20 years, I wouldn't be surprised if they could diagnose your son that young. I'd ask your pediatrician which age is his/her preference for a diagnosis. I happened to be four when the actual diagnosis was made, but I had my DDs when I was two, so I definitely believe if signs show when a child is younger, the diagnosis can be made much more quickly. My initial diagnosis was "soft neurological signs", which later led to my pediatrician suspecting I had an "attention deficit."

If your pediatrician tells you he/she can't confirm the diagnosis at your son's age now, get a referral when he's two or three. I had a preschool evaluation done by a team of psychologists for the school district I was in back then. Not only can they help get a diagnosis, they can formulate a plan with you for his in-school/after school care.
Old 08-14-10, 08:57 AM

sharblu is on a distinguished road

Some of the tests mentioned by Princess Moon can be taken through what's called a Cognitive Skills Test. I had one taken at a local LearningRX center. It cost like $50. You go into a very small room with someone who will be testing you. Can't remember if they audio recorded the session but it's possible. Then, they test you with words, sounds, pictures, etc. to see how your brain works. I personally think this is a good test to get since it's not your typical questionnaire.

The tests I were given were the following. They also give you a percentile ranking for each one which is compared to the 80% college-bound student average to see how you compare. I provided my percentages as example as well as a description for each to understand what each one means.

Visual Processing = 90%
Test 3 - COG: Spatial Relations (measure visual processing: the ability to percieve, analyze, synthesize, and think with visual patterns, including the ability to store and recall visual images)

Short-Term Memory = 83%
Test 7 - COG: Numbers Reversed (measures short-term memory: the ability to apprehend and hold information in immediate awareness and then use it within a few seconds)

Executive Processing Speed = 76%
Test 20 - COG: Pair Cancellation (provides information about executive processing/interference control, sustained attention, and processing speed)

Logic and Reasoning = 75%
Test 5 - COG: Concept Formation (measures login and reasoning: the ability to reason, form concepts, and solve problems using unfamiliar information and novel procedures)

Long-Term Memory = 60%
Test 2 - COG: Visual-Auditory Learning (measures long-term memory: the ability to store information and fluently retrieve it later in the process of thinking)

Word Attack = 40%
Test 13 - ACH: Word Attack (measures word attack skills: the knowledge of and application of sound codes in order to pronounce unknown words)

Auditory Processing = 24%
Test 21 - ACH: Sound Awareness (measures auditory processing: the ability to analyze, blend, segment, and synthesize speech sounds, crucial underlying skill for reading and spelling)

Auditory Processing turned out to be my lowest (weakest) area. The one thing about this test is that it doesn't quite resemble being in a time crunched, multi-tasked workplace where a lot of your skills are tested. I find it fairly accurate, though.
The Following User Says Thank You to sharblu For This Useful Post:
resa (08-14-10)
Old 08-14-10, 09:17 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDictive_714 View Post
You're right, Resa, I've never seen a child diagnosed at 18 months, but with how advanced the medical/psychiatric fields have become in the last 20 years, I wouldn't be surprised if they could diagnose your son that young. I'd ask your pediatrician which age is his/her preference for a diagnosis. I happened to be four when the actual diagnosis was made, but I had my DDs when I was two, so I definitely believe if signs show when a child is younger, the diagnosis can be made much more quickly. My initial diagnosis was "soft neurological signs", which later led to my pediatrician suspecting I had an "attention deficit."

If your pediatrician tells you he/she can't confirm the diagnosis at your son's age now, get a referral when he's two or three. I had a preschool evaluation done by a team of psychologists for the school district I was in back then. Not only can they help get a diagnosis, they can formulate a plan with you for his in-school/after school care.
I'm sorry I think I'm confussed or maybe I confussed you so sorry. I meant my son was diagnosed with a speech delay at 18 months. He's 4 yrs old now, will be 5 in Feb.
Old 08-14-10, 09:27 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharblu View Post
Some of the tests mentioned by Princess Moon can be taken through what's called a Cognitive Skills Test. I had one taken at a local LearningRX center. It cost like $50. You go into a very small room with someone who will be testing you. Can't remember if they audio recorded the session but it's possible. Then, they test you with words, sounds, pictures, etc. to see how your brain works. I personally think this is a good test to get since it's not your typical questionnaire.

The tests I were given were the following. They also give you a percentile ranking for each one which is compared to the 80% college-bound student average to see how you compare. I provided my percentages as example as well as a description for each to understand what each one means.

Visual Processing = 90%
Test 3 - COG: Spatial Relations (measure visual processing: the ability to percieve, analyze, synthesize, and think with visual patterns, including the ability to store and recall visual images)

Short-Term Memory = 83%
Test 7 - COG: Numbers Reversed (measures short-term memory: the ability to apprehend and hold information in immediate awareness and then use it within a few seconds)

Executive Processing Speed = 76%
Test 20 - COG: Pair Cancellation (provides information about executive processing/interference control, sustained attention, and processing speed)

Logic and Reasoning = 75%
Test 5 - COG: Concept Formation (measures login and reasoning: the ability to reason, form concepts, and solve problems using unfamiliar information and novel procedures)

Long-Term Memory = 60%
Test 2 - COG: Visual-Auditory Learning (measures long-term memory: the ability to store information and fluently retrieve it later in the process of thinking)

Word Attack = 40%
Test 13 - ACH: Word Attack (measures word attack skills: the knowledge of and application of sound codes in order to pronounce unknown words)

Auditory Processing = 24%
Test 21 - ACH: Sound Awareness (measures auditory processing: the ability to analyze, blend, segment, and synthesize speech sounds, crucial underlying skill for reading and spelling)

Auditory Processing turned out to be my lowest (weakest) area. The one thing about this test is that it doesn't quite resemble being in a time crunched, multi-tasked workplace where a lot of your skills are tested. I find it fairly accurate, though.
I think this is very informative. Thanks a bunch for it. How and where do I get started. Where do they do these sorts of things. $50 is nothing if it can help identify a potential problem. THe Auditory Processing is given how? btw. thanks again.......