ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Wellbutrin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Wellbutrin (bupropion hcl)

Old 11-16-19, 03:39 PM

JamieF is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Should I Go Back On?

Hi all,

18 months ago I had a psychiatric evaluation which ultimately recommended insight oriented psychodynamic psychotherapy and suggested that Wellbutrin might be useful for a time (I had recently lost 7 members of my extended family and my father, and I had a relationship breakup).

My doctor prescribed 300mg Wellbutrin (150 twice daily) and I started therapy three times a week with a psychiatrist who is very highly regarded in her field. She and I get along well.

22 days after I started taking the Wellbutrin I began to return to life - I started going out a lot and socializing and I lost 20kg. However, it came with a couple of other small issues: compulsive shopping and over sexualization via Grindr.

Fast forward six months and I met a guy much younger than me and we dated. It became very serious and he spent half his time at my house and half in another city where he lives with his parents. I traveled to his home and stayed there and met his family who were all very nice.

Then six months ago my mother (whom I had a somewhat strained but very co-dependent relationship with) died. We knew she was dying and I had a month to make everything right with her - I can't ask for anything more in that regard. Needless to say things began to fall apart again (despite being on the meds). I gained all of my weight back, and moved into my mother's home where I began renovations. It is the home I grew up in.

I am self-employed and some unexpected downturns in my industry has suddenly left me fighting to keep my business. I have had to stop renovations in the house and am selling possessions to keep things going.

One month ago I asked my doctor to take me off the Wellbutrin and he complied - though he has kept the script open in case I want to go back on it. My therapist also knows and feels it is an ok time to try coming off the meds because six months has passed since my mother died.

I went through extreme flashes of anger, faster weight gain, and I broke up with my boyfriend (though we are still talking multiple times a day via FaceTime). I have stopped shopping and am working harder at my business though I feel a little like I am flailing about and making no impact.

I am now spending most of my time in my pyjamas and watching a lot of TV. I am eating a lot and not going out. I don't feel like I can't move or that I am mired in depression, I just don't see any reason to do anything - because why bother? Having said that, I have gone to do grocery shopping every few days and I shower and dress for that and enjoy the time in the city at the store.

The house is in a terrible state because of the half done renovations (there is not one room that isn't a wreck - everything is tidy, but the interior walls and ceilings are missing, etc).

My anger has mostly subsided now and I am still crying every other day (mostly around the death of my mother).

Should I be going back on the Wellbutrin or should I be sticking things out to see if this is just part of a temporary withdrawal?
Old 11-16-19, 06:55 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 30,817 Times in 14,172 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Should I Go Back On?

I'm so sorry. For the loss of your mother and your other family members and the things you are struggling with at the moment.

I'd like to clarify a few things: were you prescribed wellbutrin for ADHD symptoms? Or depression? Why did you come off it? Because of the compulsive shopping and sexualisation?

If you have ADHD I'd definitely recommend medication. Nothing else works quite as well without medication. If you didn't like wellbutrin there are lots of other meds you can try especially stimulants, which are dedicated meds for ADHD.

You sound depressed to me too so I'd consider treatment for that as well. Also, keep in mind though that you've had a tough time recently with a lot of loss and grief so cut yourself some slack.
Old 11-17-19, 02:32 PM

JamieF is on a distinguished road
Re: Should I Go Back On?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
I'm so sorry. For the loss of your mother and your other family members and the things you are struggling with at the moment.

I'd like to clarify a few things: were you prescribed wellbutrin for ADHD symptoms? Or depression? Why did you come off it? Because of the compulsive shopping and sexualisation?

If you have ADHD I'd definitely recommend medication. Nothing else works quite as well without medication. If you didn't like wellbutrin there are lots of other meds you can try especially stimulants, which are dedicated meds for ADHD.

You sound depressed to me too so I'd consider treatment for that as well. Also, keep in mind though that you've had a tough time recently with a lot of loss and grief so cut yourself some slack.
Thank you. I was prescribed the Zyban on these grounds:

"My impression is that below his superficial presentation [JamieF] is suffering from low mood and anxiety - although perhaps not meeting full criteria for a current major depressive episode. He probably has a biological diathesis for a substance misuse disorder and possibly also low mood and anxiety. This, and his likely high IQ, mask the pervasiveness of his existential angst.

An antidepressant/anxiolytic medication is likely to help. A somewhat more dopaminergic agent such as bupropion (NDRI) may help him to sustain his mood over this period of loss, and separation."

That is quoted from the referral letter from the psychiatrist I saw briefly to evaluated my situation. Since that letter my brother and mother have died, I've moved house three times (the first with some coercion), and had a dramatic change in financial circumstances causing general fear all the time at the loss of my business.

In terms of the ADD, the same report says "[JamieF] also brought some of his former school reports to rule out an ADD diagnosis. These attest to an academically able, well-mannered child with little to suggest ADD." - the suggestion that ADD may have played a role in my life was from some of the effects the Zyban had after I started taking it - reduction in some physical symptoms such as habitual chewing of my tongue, shaking of my leg, etc. My ongoing psychiatrist was happy for me to try coming off the meds and when I described the effects of doing so she said "there may be some minor ADHD that was affected by the drug". That is the only ADD/ADHD connection.

I should also mention that I spent time in rehab just before everyone in the family started dying so a large number of drug options are closed to me. Rehab was for alcohol (I remain sober to this day) but I have been advised to avoid all other addictive drugs as a consequence.
Sponsored Links