ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Ritalin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ritalin (methylphenidate)

Old 01-17-05, 06:27 PM

fuzzybaffy is on a distinguished road
Mood swings with immediate release Ritalin?

A couple of months ago I took Ritalin LA I couldn't handle the ups and downs of the medication. It was awful - would I experience the same thing if I took the immediate release of Ritalin?
Old 01-18-05, 03:47 AM
ADDvanced Member

abre los ojos has disabled reputation
Some of us are emotionally sensitive to stimulants. A lot of people have been helped with a small dose of a mood stablizer, such as an ssri. It definitely works, but some people don't like taking multiple medications. The only other option I know of is to take a very small dose (like 2.5mgs 4 times a day), since you are sensitive to stimulants.
Old 02-02-05, 12:04 AM
Jr Member

oldbutnew2add is on a distinguished road
How many times a day can Ritalin be taken?

This is my second week on Ritalin and I found the 5mg dose to have positive effects. Now that I am up to 10mg, I feel sad and strange as the medication wears off. It was hard to know when the medication wore off at 5mg. I'm thinking about taking 5 mg four times a day. Is there any risk there?

thanks,

oldbutnew2add
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-05, 03:32 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Kimalimah has a spectacular aura aboutKimalimah has a spectacular aura about
In principle, taking Ritalin 4x a day is not a problem. However, I would clear any changes in how you are taking it with your doctor. It is important for them to know how YO▄ are reacting to the medications so that they can appropriately set up your dosages.

Have patience, it can take time to find the right amount and timing, but it's worth it in the end. Just stay in touch with your professionals!

Good luck.

Kim
Old 02-25-05, 12:16 PM

sunnysideup has disabled reputation
I was experiencing this same problem with adderall. Today I even decided I won't take it because yesterday was so awful. I felt great for my first hour on the medicine then I started feeling kind of sad. After three hours I was on my bed sobbing. I may try a lower dose to see if that helps. Have any of you tried both Ritalin and Adderall and if so where there any differences in how the meds worked?

U2 - How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb- Yaweh
Old 02-25-05, 01:33 PM

mustFocus is on a distinguished road
I had several ups and downs the first week I started taking Ritalin (5mg 2-3x/day). I figured out that heavy caffeine intake was causing most of the problems. I'm down to about 150mg of caffeine a day and 10mg Ritalin twice a day and have felt great. Like everyone says, though, your mileage may vary.

Also, from what I understand, the ups and downs are more noticable with IR medication. I'll probably try some LA or XR next month and see if it's better or worse.
Old 02-25-05, 05:30 PM
Contributor

neuroangel is on a distinguished road
I was switched from concerta 54mg qam to 20mg ritalin tid, and I switched back to concerta after only one week! It doesn't taper off slowly like concerta, I knew when it wore off because I'd be irritable, oversensitive, crying, and just miserable. Since I've been on concerta again, I'm fine. lol It's amazing what a little pill can do to your entire outlook on life.

Cyndi
"But the man who comes back through the Door in the Wall will never be quite the same as the man who went out. He will be wiser but less cocksure, happier but less self-satisfied, humbler in acknowledging his ignorance yet better equipped to understand the relationship of words to things, of systematic reasoning to the unfathomable Mystery which it tries, forever vainly, to comprehend." Aldous Huxley, The Doors of Perception