ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-12, 10:05 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 7,911 Times in 4,072 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute
Does your impulsive tongue get you banned a lot?

I continuously am getting a temporary ban from posting on other pages on Facebook and I really can't work out why. I do rant and rave some but I never personally insult people or give information that discriminates against another group (apart from that Kylie Monogue thing), and people say way worse them me and usually get pats on their back.

I might say things like 'eh...vampire movies.' But that's hardly offensive. Maybe I troll the actually subject but never a person. They be some defensive fans, neh?

I get emotional and might write 800 words about that one subject. But I hardly ever say anything against someone. I don't make fun but question and try to offer facts. Like about conspiracy theories. I could have a lot of fun with that but I don't. I just seem to offer facts and get attacked for them.

I just don't understand why people would report me. I try to follow the rules to a T. I'm kind of unpopular for doing that too.

But this isn't the only site that I've been banned from or get a lot of warnings. I got kicked right out of the IGN Games forum for swearing. I wasn't swearing at anything but merely making my words more descriptive. When I get emotional I get sweary.

So, anyone else find they're just too impulsive to follow the rules? I'm also really adaptable to other peoples behaviour. I've already become pretty well adjusted with the chat room in Kingdoms of Middle Earth - for my own emotional well being - some guy got so upset he wanted to kill himself - I tried to get him to talk about it to a crowd of people who would be understanding, like a forum like this - and I take what I've learned into places like Facebook.

Mannn...people just take the internet too seriously. I write all that stuff when I'm stimulated, hyperfocused and then I forget. I get so distracted from everything else going around me or other conversations that I don't get emotionally invested into the discussion I was having so it surprises me that people get all emotional about it.

Trying not to offend people is exhausting. I try but I always fail.

Medication makes things a little easier but when I get into this kind of trouble 1) Meds have wore off or I'm on a lower dose or 2) I'm not on them at all or they just aren't working that day.

My no.1 solution for this is avoidance or minimum exposure. Actually I've had to come up with my own rules. A kind of manifesto for digital technology dissidents like me.
Old 11-16-12, 10:24 PM

Thanked 6,302 Times in 3,471 Posts
silivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does your impulsive tongue get you banned a lot?

facebook bans the weirdest things. some I can see their logic, others, I am totally clueless as to why they allow it.

are you being reported by someone or are you maybe sharing something that it sees as "spam"? that happens to me sometimes, and it's really frustrating.

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Old 11-16-12, 10:24 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

FogNoggin is a name known to allFogNoggin is a name known to allFogNoggin is a name known to allFogNoggin is a name known to allFogNoggin is a name known to allFogNoggin is a name known to all

I often wonder why I have not been banned from here yet.

It boggles my mind.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-12, 10:28 PM
Registered

Thanked 17,762 Times in 8,904 Posts
Abi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond repute

I take the fifth.

"I think David Archuleta's picture is starting to annoy me." - BellaVita

"A glass of water is healthier than a glass of vodka - but you don't substitute one for the other." - aeon

Old 11-16-12, 10:31 PM
ADDvanced Member

Marla911 has a spectacular aura aboutMarla911 has a spectacular aura about

Never been banned but once I was on this forum where someone made these pretend 'trading cards' (like baseball cards) of the members, and most people had cutesy/funny taglines after their names, only mine was 'most hated'
Old 11-16-12, 10:39 PM

fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by silivrentoliel View Post
facebook bans the weirdest things. some I can see their logic, others, I am totally clueless as to why they allow it.

are you being reported by someone or are you maybe sharing something that it sees as "spam"? that happens to me sometimes, and it's really frustrating.
I have been sharing a few links. Like a game that creates awareness about violence against women.

But it happens as soon as I get into a 'discussion' about Twilight or 50 Shades of Grey. Defensive fans are defensive, yo.

I don't mind if people like it but, I'm sure there are plenty of things some people don't like that they can't help making fun of. People get away with saying 'ADHD isn't real' but if I say the same things about vampires I'm somehow a troll. It's a fact, innit? And yeah, I know I take thing literally. It's in the way of enjoying a good scifi story too.

Actually another time someone made fun of Star Trek yet got defensive if I made fun of Twilight. Hypocrites! I didn't get defensive about Star Trek, just talked about why I loved it. Talked about how I liked all that hard work the writers went to get all the science as accurate as possible. And they actually 'guessed' some things right too.

Star Trek is cool. I know not everyone thinks so. More T'pol for me. I mean, Trip TRIP. I like boys.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fracturedstory For This Useful Post:
BR549 (11-17-12), Spacemaster (11-17-12)
Old 11-16-12, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marla911 View Post
Never been banned but once I was on this forum where someone made these pretend 'trading cards' (like baseball cards) of the members, and most people had cutesy/funny taglines after their names, only mine was 'most hated'
Ouch! Yeah, some members have always hated me for reasons escaping me. I've been told on here I'm rude. Ages ago. The most despicable trolling I've ever seen in a forum had a handful of members turn on me, for being autistic. Like they actually said that.

I spent my whole childhood not saying a thing then I get online and I'm just a smorgasbord of opinions. But I can't help it. I think too damn much in ways people say 'just complicates things.' And I can't always control my fingers and the compulsion to press the submit button.

I never get along with people on forums except for this one. Fan forums are the worst. You get people that fawn over actors or write fan fiction and fawn over the characters in their fan fiction. And just the way they talk about shows/movies/books is completely different how I would. I think they are taking it too seriously, but I'm the one looking at it how it is: a story written by people, everything is planned, every thing that happens is supposed to happen. And they are all 'why did that happen?' Because they wrote it that way.

Sometimes I tell myself I'm not meant to have friends. I'm a creator. I entertain people and make them think. Then they can ask 'why did that have to happen?' Because I wrote it that way.

Just checking: giving a score out of 1 to 10,000 how offensive have I been so far?
Marla911 (11-16-12), Spacemaster (11-17-12)
Old 11-16-12, 10:55 PM

Thanked 6,302 Times in 3,471 Posts
silivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond repute

I don't find you offensive at all, so a 0?

As for Twilight... I'm sorry, but I have a fairly strong opinion about those books myself (and it's not a good opinion)... I try to keep it to myself. I've been told once or twice "them's fightin' words!" ... crazy people

The Following User Says Thank You to silivrentoliel For This Useful Post:
fracturedstory (11-17-12)
Old 11-16-12, 10:56 PM
ADDvanced Member

Marla911 has a spectacular aura aboutMarla911 has a spectacular aura about

Well if it's any consolation you've never come across as rude and offensive to me. I think the problem is that often times on forums and chat the post can be taken wrong because there's no tone.

Although at first I was pretty hurt by the 'most hated' tagline, in retrospect I realised I was quite obnoxious on that forum. However the bigger problem was I wasn't prepared bow down to the underlying social order that was happening on the forum. I find forums a lot like school, and to a degree real life. There's always the 'popular' crowd, and the 'cool kids'. If you go on there, as I did on this particular forum and didn't at least 'lol' or 'agree' at every popular/cool comment you were not doing yourself any favours of ever getting ''accepted'' in the group. The way I entered that forum put me on a fast track to social alienation, likely for life..even if at the time I even got a couple of pm's from people patting me on the back or quietly saying they agree with me!

So I've learned not to do what I did when I joined that forum..which was not take the time to understand the social intricacies of the place, and instead openly challenge (or they saw it as disrespect) the dominant people/groups. I am a lot better on forums/chat now and usually don't jump in so quickly with my posts comments and take some time to understand the social dynamics of what is going on there. I have learnt that's the best way to get accepted, but does mean that just like in real life, sometimes you have to keep your mouth shut even if you really want to speak up about something!
mrs. dobbs (11-17-12)
Old 11-16-12, 10:58 PM
Contributor

Sapphire11 is just really niceSapphire11 is just really niceSapphire11 is just really niceSapphire11 is just really nice

I dont think your offensive at all I hate facebook im always misunderstood and i read

too much into things, its not healthy for me to be on fb at all

its really frustrating to be misunderstood your whole life but im getting used to it

xo
Old 11-16-12, 10:58 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

FogNoggin is a name known to allFogNoggin is a name known to allFogNoggin is a name known to allFogNoggin is a name known to allFogNoggin is a name known to allFogNoggin is a name known to all

Embrace your differentness!
sometimes I wonder if other posters think I am weird, then I think, I am just being more entertaining and less boring than thou.
Old 11-16-12, 11:00 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphire11 View Post
I dont think your offensive at all I hate facebook im always misunderstood and i read

too much into things, its not healthy for me to be on fb at all

its really frustrating to be misunderstood your whole life but im getting used to it

xo
I don't do facebook, I feel like it's a trap for commercializing me.
Plus it's BS.
Old 11-16-12, 11:12 PM
Registered

Thanked 17,762 Times in 8,904 Posts
Abi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedstory
giving a score out of 1 to 10,000 how offensive have I been so far?
About 5 000, which is about par for the course for this site

Someone do me

"I think David Archuleta's picture is starting to annoy me." - BellaVita

"A glass of water is healthier than a glass of vodka - but you don't substitute one for the other." - aeon

Old 11-17-12, 02:39 AM

I call social networking slavery now because people spend hours glued to the newsfeed.

I suppose the social networks, forums, and chat rooms are all still social so there will always be a social pecking order in them. There's even that going on in WP. I don't see it here. The regulars posters are well known but there's no popular groups.
mrs. dobbs (11-17-12), Spacemaster (11-17-12)
Old 11-17-12, 02:54 AM

Thanked 2,694 Times in 1,211 Posts
mrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond repute

Slavery, totally. To a big brother controlled reality. They took our biggest need-- social acceptance and turned it into the new whip.

I used to become unpopular online. Not the attention-grabbing kind of unpopular, like a troll, but the kind groups ignore or make fun of. It helped me see what Marla said. But even better, it reminds me to go outside and garden or do art or something. And appreciate my real friends.

Like right now I'm gonna go try to make some gluten, dairy and sucrose free donuts!

There are always these alpha personalities online that command groups and control social dynamics... I know a few and sometimes they are really alone in their outside lives.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrs. dobbs For This Useful Post:
fracturedstory (11-17-12), Marla911 (11-17-12)