ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-11, 08:02 PM
ADDvanced Member

XavierQ has a spectacular aura aboutXavierQ has a spectacular aura about
Such long posts? I can't read or write that much

I've noticed something on this message board: looooong posts. How are you all able to write that much, or read it all to reply.

Do I just lack any writing skills? I'm a fast, fluent talker. I talk a lot, but I can't write things down at all. While I'm typing this, it actually annoys me. Writing is so slow. I have to many thoughts at once to wait for an entire sentence to be completed.

Am I just a really lousy writer? I always thought this was a ADHD-thing, like I'm unable to read much. I just lack any focus to write or read long texts. Even things I really want to write or read about.

FYI, I'm unmedicated at the moment. When on ritalin, I can read longer texts, but my writing skills are even worse. I easily lose an hour writing, reading, rewriting, and rereading 10 lines then.

I just got stung by a mosquito while writing this. I guess it doesn't like my writings much either.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to XavierQ For This Useful Post:
metzfanaz (06-10-11), namazu (06-10-11), StoicNate (06-11-11)
Old 06-09-11, 08:05 PM
Jr Member

sco7tt has a spectacular aura aboutsco7tt has a spectacular aura about
Re: Such long posts? I can't read or write that much

I'm with you ... I find myself skimming and then skipping the long ones. And, I'm medicated.

Flip side is there are some rather well written diatribes on here with some really good information.

Gotta pick and choose I guess.

I can't see the end of me/ my whole expanse I cannot see/ I formulate infinity/ store it deep inside of me
Meat Puppets II
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sco7tt For This Useful Post:
danelady (06-10-11), metzfanaz (06-10-11), namazu (06-10-11), Turbochica (06-10-11)
Old 06-09-11, 08:06 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,639 Times in 1,734 Posts
Impetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond repute

I noticed that too.... it's ok, I just do what I do.
“I often warn people: "Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity.”
-George Carlin
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Impetus For This Useful Post:
metzfanaz (06-10-11), Turbochica (06-10-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-11, 08:09 PM
Extradimensional Moderator

HighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant future

Stung? So I suppose if I substitute mosquito for wasp, I should also substitute stung with impaled?

Many here have a problem with reading novels (myself included). I suppose some posts around here are unintentionally write-only.
Disclaimer: none of the posts on this forum should be taken as medical advice. Optimally, always seek the opinion of multiple experienced professionals, note any discrepancies, and use your best judgment, as well as research, to determine what is true, untrue, and neither (opinion).
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HighFunctioning For This Useful Post:
danelady (06-09-11), metzfanaz (06-10-11), peripatetic (06-09-11), Song of Mercy (06-09-11)
Old 06-09-11, 08:12 PM

Thanked 3,129 Times in 1,638 Posts
Song of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant future

The long posts mess me up also. I feel so bad when i start to skim but it is skim or nothing because I just cannot get through them. I am not on medicine so I think that is part of it.
metzfanaz (06-10-11)
Old 06-09-11, 08:25 PM

Thanked 6,536 Times in 2,663 Posts
danelady has a reputation beyond reputedanelady has a reputation beyond reputedanelady has a reputation beyond reputedanelady has a reputation beyond reputedanelady has a reputation beyond reputedanelady has a reputation beyond reputedanelady has a reputation beyond reputedanelady has a reputation beyond reputedanelady has a reputation beyond reputedanelady has a reputation beyond reputedanelady has a reputation beyond repute

When a new member comes here after a lifetime of problems,a lifetime of being told they were stupid or lazy and still unable to figure out why and discovers they are not alone in their feelings they might feel like letting it all out to share with us.

A lot of us have no one else we can go to about these problems and it is also very cathartic to speak of these things and hopefully unburden some of their weight.

You don't have to read them all,you don't have to answer them,but sometimes another member comes across these outpourings and realizes they have gone through a similar situation and can offer support.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to danelady For This Useful Post:
447dbe (06-28-11), happierin09 (06-10-11), Kunga Dorji (07-28-11), metzfanaz (06-10-11), Nifferka (06-10-11), peripatetic (06-09-11), pokesfan (07-02-11), salleh (06-11-11), tired1823 (06-27-11), Turbochica (06-10-11)
Old 06-09-11, 08:37 PM

jrigone is on a distinguished road

I was never offically diagnosed with ADD (I am sure I have it though from what reserch I've done for my daughter who has been diagnosed with it), but I can't read the novels that are on here either. I have to admit I can write them (not that the thoughts flow well, or are in any order that makes sence)
The Following User Says Thank You to jrigone For This Useful Post:
metzfanaz (06-10-11)
Old 06-09-11, 10:26 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,460 Times in 582 Posts
Kaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond repute

You're not expected to write novels, promise.

I write long posts, and I know that not everyone is going to be able to read them. I try to break them up into manageable chunks, but I'm still aware that they're long for a lot of people.

It's one of the things that comes easily to me. I've actually made an effort to shorten my posts a bit, because I'm actually self-conscious about their size.

I read quickly, too - but honestly, when it comes to long posts, I have to go through them a few times myself.

Just go with that's comfortable to you - no one expects you to read or respond to everything. There aren't any word limits, nothing like that. For the most part, we're all pretty aware that there are different manifestations of ADHD, and we all have troubles with some things, but are totally comfortable with others.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kaimei For This Useful Post:
danelady (06-10-11), metzfanaz (06-10-11), namazu (06-10-11), salleh (06-11-11)
Old 06-09-11, 11:02 PM

Thanked 34,239 Times in 15,487 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

i skim almost everything i glance at and rarely read thoroughly, whether what i'm looking at is long, medium and short. i'm very much guilty of writing long posts because i 1. can get carried away and 2. go off on tangents. if something seems particularly important (subject, person writing, other) then i'll often skim first, then go back and try to read it in more depth a few times before responding. sometimes i jsut shoot off a reply though. i run the full gamut
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
danelady (06-10-11), namazu (06-10-11), salleh (06-11-11), Turbochica (06-10-11)
Old 06-10-11, 12:04 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,662 Times in 787 Posts
Simenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant future

I skim, I write. If I am in the mood or if something is really important to me, I write longer. I am articulate and proud of it. I am also sometimes acerbic. I have also had a bit of post secondary education where I was required to write a lot, up to 30 page essays.

All we ADHDs have different strengths. Some are very articulate and well spoken in writing, some in verbal discourse; I read recently about a fellow who was very charming. Many ADHDs are recognized as being very creative.It is not unreasonable to expect many different kinds of posts in such a large community.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simenora For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (06-11-11), namazu (06-10-11)
Old 06-10-11, 01:02 AM

Thanked 1,659 Times in 819 Posts
K-Funk has a reputation beyond reputeK-Funk has a reputation beyond reputeK-Funk has a reputation beyond reputeK-Funk has a reputation beyond reputeK-Funk has a reputation beyond reputeK-Funk has a reputation beyond reputeK-Funk has a reputation beyond reputeK-Funk has a reputation beyond reputeK-Funk has a reputation beyond reputeK-Funk has a reputation beyond reputeK-Funk has a reputation beyond repute

love to read and love to write...I can sit down and read a 400 page book in a day (if I had free time).

but put me at a desk and give me paper work and I'll show you 8 wasted hours of absolutely nothing getting done

~ Krishnamurti

Attention wandered, I left with it.....

~Helmet

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to K-Funk For This Useful Post:
447dbe (06-28-11), Turbochica (06-10-11)
Old 06-10-11, 05:04 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

diced is a jewel in the roughdiced is a jewel in the roughdiced is a jewel in the rough

I like it when ppl remember to break up long texts into something readable.
Sometimes I can read long posts. sometimes I can't. One I replied to promising to read the full text later, which I did, about 2 weeks later, when I felt calm enough to read through the whole thing.

Sometimes I go directly to the fun&games part. one word games.. 5 word stories.. I can always manage that
The Following User Says Thank You to diced For This Useful Post:
Turbochica (06-10-11)
Old 06-10-11, 09:08 AM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 21,653 Times in 10,924 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

"I have made this letter longer, because I lack the time to make it short."
- Blaise Pascal (who, as far as I know, has not been a regular poster to the forum)

That's my excuse! I'd love to be more concise, but to do so requires a lot of time and effort and organizational skills that I can't necessarily muster.

Also, like Peri, I often get carried away...

Also, I can dish it, but I can't take it: it's one thing to have verbal diarrhea, but to wade through someone else's? Not so much.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
danelady (06-10-11), Lunacie (06-10-11), salleh (06-11-11), speculative (06-27-11), Turbochica (06-10-11)
Old 06-10-11, 09:34 AM

Thanked 3,558 Times in 2,136 Posts
Turbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond repute

You are so right danelady. Yes I too look at long posts and sometimes struggle to read them BUT I do try.

maybe the text itself, not the words that are written is kinda plain and well, boring looking to our minds, therefore we have difficulty reading it . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by danelady View Post
When a new member comes here after a lifetime of problems,a lifetime of being told they were stupid or lazy and still unable to figure out why and discovers they are not alone in their feelings they might feel like letting it all out to share with us.

A lot of us have no one else we can go to about these problems and it is also very cathartic to speak of these things and hopefully unburden some of their weight.

You don't have to read them all,you don't have to answer them,but sometimes another member comes across these outpourings and realizes they have gone through a similar situation and can offer support.

Fyodor Dostoevsky

The Following User Says Thank You to Turbochica For This Useful Post:
danelady (06-10-11)
Old 06-10-11, 09:53 AM

AlmostThere is on a distinguished road

I alway's skip to the bottom then read up, it's more interesting that way

“Here's to alcohol: the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.” ~ Homer Simpson
The Following User Says Thank You to AlmostThere For This Useful Post:
salleh (06-11-11)