ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Medications for Co-Existing Conditions > Anti-Depressants
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-04, 10:52 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Nucking_Futs has a spectacular aura aboutNucking_Futs has a spectacular aura about
Side effects of Prozac?...

I've been put on Prozac for awhile and have had the most awful side effect or maybe it isn't a side effect. I've been horribly sad, I mean I cry for everything and am so tired and my feelings are easily hurt. Has anyone else experianced any of these symptoms on Prozac and if so do they go away or is it something I need to bring up with my doctor.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! What a ride!!"

Old 06-09-04, 01:13 AM
Contributor

Brianne will become famous soon enough
Well I was on prozac 6 years ago so I don't remember a whole lot other than I didn't stay on it long. It made me really dizzy and sick feeling. First day I took it I got sick at school. I don't think I was on it much longer than 2 weeks because it made me so sick. Don't know if that helps you any. Have you been on it longer than 6 weeks? Or have you skiped any days? I was told by my Dr sometimes if you skip a dose your depression can get worse than it was to begin with and that anyone that is on an anti-depressant (once the right med is found) should at least be on it 6 months so it doesn't back fire and make things worse. But thats what my psychologist told me. I have been on about 4 anti-depressants now.............2 my dr perscribed when i was in HS and the others from different psychologist. No one seems to keep me on them longer than 6 months. Then I may not take them again for a couple of years then I do again. Its weird.
Anyway I am rambleing now SORRY!:wacko:

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart!

Forgetfulness is a sign of genius!

-Bri
Old 06-09-04, 10:43 AM

addparent has disabled reputation
Prozac made me suicidal when I took it. I ended up in the Adult Crisis Unit. Then Dr. changed my med to Wellbutrin, when that didn't help, he put me on Paxil CR and that one worked for me.

Tawny
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-04, 10:59 AM

jaimegerise has disabled reputation
Ack, I took prozac for all of 3 weeks back in highschool. I was supposed to be on it for about 6 weeks, but it made me jittery as all get out. I would be sitting there in class just fidgetting like mad. That and I felt like, numb. I didn't like it. So off I went. ack.
Old 06-09-04, 02:45 PM

Nucking_Futs has a spectacular aura aboutNucking_Futs has a spectacular aura about
I called my doctor and he is having me go off the med. He says that it is not supposed to make me "postal". I'm going in again for another check up and we can discuss another med. I honestly don't think I need another med added. I already feel like I'm hauling a pharmacy around in my purse.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! What a ride!!"

Old 06-13-04, 08:48 PM
Contributor

Stranger is on a distinguished road
I took it for a while a couple of years ago, and felt like a zombie--no emotional variations at all, just a steady state of low-level sadness, with tinges of anger. I got off it pretty quick.
Old 06-16-04, 10:15 PM

After being on it I can't really blame you. My emotion's were a mess.

Old 06-23-04, 02:15 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Energizer_Bunny is on a distinguished road
I was on it for 6 months. I was not motivated, I was always late for work and did not want to get up in the morning and sometimes I did not even want to come to work I discovered that I can't take an SSRI drug. They all seen to put me in a depressed state. I find it strange since it is use for treating depression, however I am not depressed. I was on it for OCD.
Old 06-23-04, 04:29 PM

I'm not sure exactly why I do not react well to anti-depressants. But, just about every single one I've on has made me lethargic, depressed even more and a complete and total mess emotionally. I'm starting to believe that I'm not depressed; but, it's easier for my doctor to say I'm depressed then to actually find the reason for my lethargy.

Old 11-16-04, 05:57 PM
Jr Member

Location: In the beautiful mountains of central Idaho. Gods country, where the rest of the world wants to be.
Looney-N-Idaho is on a distinguished road
I took Prozac for a couple of months and the side effects were down right scary! Just as I was falling asleep at night I would suddenly feel like my spirit was falling out of my body! I know that sounds crazy and my doc looked at me like I was a nut case. But it was an awful feeling!!!

My daughter was on Prozac for a short time as well. She stopped taking it when she found herself sitting at stop lights and thinking about ramming her car into the car stopped in front of her. She felt very aggressive and angry on Prozac. Said she just wanted to "clobber somebody".
Old 04-01-05, 01:27 AM

auntchris is a jewel in the roughauntchris is a jewel in the roughauntchris is a jewel in the rough
Futs, I was put on Prozac back in 1999. My GP gave me the lowest dose which is 10 mg and I started not to eat, and was complusive about my weight too. I was in dance classes 4 day a week and helping on Saturdays with teh little kids. I developed TMJ because of the stress which made my eating worse and I began to loose alot of weight fast and I sweat alot to which helped me loose that weight. stress does that to me too.

I began to self injure then. It was very superifical and my thought were dark and I didnt see any hope. In July of 2000 I went to a hospital out of state, my psych changed my med to celexa and thing got alot better. My friend told me to get off it she didnt like what she heard about it and how I was acting . I even read in the side effects that it can cause self injurious behaviour, and sucidial thoughts. That was then I dont know if they have changed it at all.

A child's mind is like a shallow brook which ripples and dances merrily over the stony course of its education and reflects here a flower, there a bush, yonder fleecy cloud... -Helen Keller

Old 04-01-05, 06:06 PM

Coral Rhedd is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucking_Futs
I've been put on Prozac for awhile and have had the most awful side effect or maybe it isn't a side effect. I've been horribly sad, I mean I cry for everything and am so tired and my feelings are easily hurt. Has anyone else experianced any of these symptoms on Prozac and if so do they go away or is it something I need to bring up with my doctor.
Get off of it by tapering and I do mean very slowly. You need something else while you taper so consult your doctor. This agitated crying is the dark side of SSRIs. Don't wait until your life is in the toilet as I did. If your doctor won't listen, try another!

PM me if you want the whole horrifing story.

Regards,
Coral Rhedd
Old 04-01-05, 08:34 PM

FocusPokus has disabled reputation
Futz, there is some very good advice here, I would again call your attention to what Rhedd said (taper). I have been on many antidepressants, and I don't think plain ol' Dr.'s know that sometimes they are jerking around our whole lives. If they were in the room with you when you have an attack of sadness they would be more careful, but they never are, so they do their best (which is not always good enough).
I was on Prozac for about 6-9 months. It is the one antidepressant that had almost no effect other than placebo. All the others were either profoundly bad, or had a background 'buzz' as if I was about to trip on psychedelics.
I have a friend who was on the original Paxil and is currently in the class-action lawsuit against the big boys who made it. She had her life robbed from her during the most influential years of her children’s' development. I tell you, keep your Dr. informed and if what he is saying about the meds doesn't match what you think is safe for you, then seek other professional advice. My friend didn't question the effects of the original Paxil for years and it was the root of the problem. She was just depressed before it, and persistently suicidal after.
In the same breath I have to say that if your Dr. is a psychologist, psychiatrist, psychopharmacologist or the like, I had to go through 13 of these before I found one that was trustworthy about keeping me from harm and keeping my psychological growth and health paramount. All the others were either just prescribing and stacking their visit $'s, or putting me in harm's way. I hope that it isn't as hard to get the right help for everyone else. I hope I am the one in several hundred. But I always suggest keeping your options open for transfer between professionals.
And if the Dr. is just an MD or that sort, you may think about seeing a counselor or that other sort. I have definitely been emotionally reactive and just plain active in my days, biochemically as well as nurture-related, but I know that my reactions are much more tolerable and less extreme after having gotten some of my early childhood issues out in the open. What I am saying is that it may be purely chemical and meds related, but it also may have emotional seeds that you deserve to have care applied to. In case you still detect some hurt inside even long after you are off the offending med.
My 2-cents.
Best of luck,
FP
Old 04-02-05, 02:20 PM

Focus I just stopped taking the med. Felt that my doctor's original dx of depression was completly wrong. Ummmm next time I'll definatly go with the tapering method I went from an emotional wreck to a complete and total ***** for almost a month, my husband was too afraid to leave the kids with me alone. I'd scream at everyone for no reason at all.

Anyways, that was over a year ago. I'm no longer on an anti-depressant, found myself a new doctor who definatly agreed with something I had been coming to terms with for a long time (since my son's dx) I'm ADHD/PTSD/OCD I can live with the dx and he is more then willing to prescribe me something if I need it but lately I've managed really well with BMP's.

and one other thing...

YES LIFE BEGINS AT 30!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-02-05, 02:47 PM

Coral Rhedd is on a distinguished road
Sorry. I didn't look at the date of the OP.