ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Meditation and Spirituality
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-17, 04:33 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Location: Floating around on a melting iceberg, north North America Canada
mildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond repute
"Your Primary Parenting Figures' Guidance and "Your Gods' Guidance"

Are there circumstances that you would choose your Parenting Figure's guidance, over your God's guidance?

Are there circumstances that you would choose your God's guidance, over your Parenting Figure's guidance?

Other related thoughts?

mildadhd
"In the history of the human race, those periods which later appeared as great have been the periods when the men and the women belonging to them had transcended the differences that divided them and had recognized in their membership in the human race a common bond" -Haile Selassie I

Last edited by mildadhd; 05-13-17 at 04:52 AM..
Old 05-13-17, 12:12 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,270 Times in 703 Posts
finallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant future
Re: "Your Primary Parenting Figures' Guidance and "Your Gods' Guidance"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
Are there circumstances that you would choose your Parenting Figure's guidance, over your God's guidance?

Are there circumstances that you would choose your God's guidance, over your Parenting Figure's guidance?

Other related thoughts?
Yes, the are many situations that I chose God's guidance over my parents. I had a spiritual re-birth and became a Bible-believing Christian at about 25 where as my parents were/are not. There have been many, many situations where our our core values and beliefs were diametrically opposed so I did not share things going in my life and decisions I needed to make but relied upon God and my friends who shared my spiritual beliefs and core values.

Sometimes it made me sad that I couldn't follow conventional thinking of "follow the wisdom of your parents", "listen to their wise counsel." But, it is what it is.
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to finallyfound10 For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (05-13-17), RextheDog (05-16-17)
Old 05-13-17, 04:25 PM

Thanked 10,968 Times in 4,874 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

As an agnostic, the question makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Cheers,
Ian
mildadhd (05-13-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-17, 02:54 PM

Location: Floating around on a melting iceberg, north North America Canada
mildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond repute

During circumstances when our parenting-figures are unavailable to parent.

What forms of self-parenting guidance you choose?

m
"In the history of the human race, those periods which later appeared as great have been the periods when the men and the women belonging to them had transcended the differences that divided them and had recognized in their membership in the human race a common bond" -Haile Selassie I
Old 05-21-17, 01:46 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,270 Times in 703 Posts
finallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant future

I think that there are many people who need to self-parent as adults as there were issues in the family growing up aka family of origin. There are so many books out there on it. I also think that the majority of therapists today have that philosophy and counsel from that perspective.
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

Old 05-21-17, 03:42 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,942 Times in 9,008 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

If there is guidance from a god, it is certain that the guidance never comes with a reliable identifying label to show where it came from. Claiming to have received specific guidance from God is therefore always a questionable practice. Most of the people who are certain they have special messages from God are actually receiving messages of self-delusion, the products of their own psychology.

And yet, having the impression that you've received a divine message can sometimes be beneficial, regardless of the message's true origin.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
Old 05-21-17, 04:06 PM

Thanked 26,710 Times in 12,443 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post

Other related thoughts?

mildadhd
I think once you are an adult the source of guidance matters less than how sensible you rate the guidance to be.

Any sort of advice needs to pass through our filter. Discard advice thst doesn't make sense and consider the one which does...irrespective of the source.