ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 10-23-10, 06:12 AM
ADDvanced Member

ladybumble is a jewel in the roughladybumble is a jewel in the roughladybumble is a jewel in the rough
do adhd children find change hard?

I just wanted to ask if anyone else has this problem?

we decided on Thursday to try and make our daughters small room better for her regarding storage issues so we removed the old spare mattress from under her bed and went through her toys in the play room/our son's room and put them into storage boxes and put them under her bed and went through her clothes drawers and managed to throw away lots of old too small clothes which gave her 2 drawers of her chest of drawers for her toys too. we also sorted out a lamp for her and a heater.

any way she came home from school and we said go and check you rooms out (we sorted out our son's room too) they both ran upstairs and our son was happy but our daughter just said 'i want it like it was' she finds change hard!

which is my question do children with adhd find change hard even if only for a few minutes or so. we had to really make her room sound amazing for her to accept the changes which were for the better, the fact that she had all her toys in her room was one thing and the fact that she had a heater and a new light the other.

does this effect anyone else

we find ourselves sometimes having to convince her something is fun or exciting like going to the park or buying her some new clothes, she doesn't accept things easily unless its what she wanted and we find she is quite rigid in her toy selection i.e only wants barbies so we find ourselves having to hype up something for her age group to get her to do or play with something different
Old 10-23-10, 06:58 AM
ADDvanced Member

Sam I Am is just really niceSam I Am is just really niceSam I Am is just really niceSam I Am is just really nice
Re: do adhd children find change hard?

Yes, we have that problem too.

DS6 knows (and we know) that he doesn't like surprises.

We did up his room while he was away, we gave him regular updates on what we were doing and what stage it might be at when he came home. We still had tears and anger because the colour wasn't a shade that he had anticipated.

He needs preparation for things that are coming, but plans will and often do change. We can't control that. It is hard to find a balance between giving him advance warning and the event being close enough that the risk of a change in plan is minimized.
Old 10-23-10, 03:52 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,331 Times in 1,335 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute

Most children find change hard, but children with ADHD especially so, and especially if the change is unexpected or for the worse.
Old 10-23-10, 03:58 PM
Forum Guru

MuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud of

Yup, difficulty with change is a common issue for adhd kids.
Old 10-23-10, 03:58 PM

Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,847 Posts
Ms. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond repute

The quick answer is yes, these kids do find change and transitions difficult.

Sometimes my ds is happy with change, other times not so much. For example, my ds might be thrilled if he came home to a rearranged room or he might get upset. Hard to tell. If he did get upset and I could get an idea as to why and address it with him (are you upset because you can't find "X"--it's over here now) then everything would be fine.

His teachers often tell me ds has a hard time transitioning from one activity to another. Again, I've seen this at home as well. Sometimes I think it's because if he's interested in what he's doing he feels like he should be allowed to be on his own timetable. Why should he stop in the middle of something when he can wrap up completely in just a few minutes? He likes to negotiate ("5 more minutes, please!") and occasionally I agree. At home it's different, there's only one of him not 20 others like in school. And no ds, the teacher doesn't find this behavior amusing and will not negotiate with you like mom does.

I've always done what Sam I Am does--given ds a heads up so he knows what to expect. I've done this since ds was little and it really helps. His teachers now go over the day with him each morning--not to get his consent, but to let him know what will happen during the day. The teachers have found that he transitions much better now.

Of course, there are times when he is fine with changes. He can be easily redirected when he feels it's beneficial to him. And for him, if he is the one who wants the change he's fine too. But then who isn't happy with change when he/she initiates it?
The Following User Says Thank You to Ms. Mango For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (10-23-10)
Old 10-23-10, 09:54 PM

Thanked 11,437 Times in 6,063 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

Yes even w adults w adhd.Alot of us through our mess we know where everything is we change our routine and boom it all goes kablooey in a hurry.
Old 10-23-10, 10:08 PM
ADDvanced Member

hmmmm will become famous soon enough

Yes, but every kid's different, some might find it thrilling (i like change, most ppl with ADD I know don't - it helps me concentrate.)
Old 10-23-10, 11:27 PM

Thanked 10,304 Times in 3,241 Posts
mctavish23 has disabled reputation

Yes Definitely.

It's usually attributed to the Executive Function impairment thought to be associated

with (cognitive) shift.

That refers to "novel problem solving" or "problem solving on the fly."

In other words, solving new problems as they simultaneously occur or "If Plan A doesn't

work, you actually have a back up plan (Plan B)".

A "real life" example would be transitions.

Preparing for errands,changes in schedules,etc.,can be helpful.

Excellent question.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)
The Following User Says Thank You to mctavish23 For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (10-24-10)
Old 10-24-10, 06:23 PM
Forum Guru

Justtess has much to be proud ofJusttess has much to be proud ofJusttess has much to be proud ofJusttess has much to be proud ofJusttess has much to be proud ofJusttess has much to be proud ofJusttess has much to be proud ofJusttess has much to be proud ofJusttess has much to be proud ofJusttess has much to be proud of

I think we are all creatures of habit. A child dx with ADHD .... even more so. It seems like my dx son is dependent on a sequence of behaviors to do something. For example to clean his room:

1. pick up clothes
2. put things in a basket
3. organize desk
4. throw trash away
5. vacuum

He's highly irritated if he is asked to do #2 or #3 out of sequence eventhough it doesn't really matter if he does it out of order. This seems to apply to new habits he acquires as he grew older. It just seemed easier to get a white board and list things in sequence and sort of assist him through it till he could do it himself. If it was visual, it became a checklist than verbally telling him what to do because he would forget.

I've read somewhere it takes 2 weeks for people to change a habit but I'm guessing it takes a little bit longer and a lot more effort for those dx.