ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Ritalin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ritalin (methylphenidate)

Old 11-27-09, 01:18 PM
Jr Member

rockystar000 is on a distinguished road
Re: Share your Ritalin Success Stories

first time posting been lurking and reading for about a month now...found this forum when i got officially diagnosed about a month ago and started taking ritalin. I loved the effects and how well i functioned on it, but i didnt like that i had to take it 3 times a day and the ups and downs that came with it. My dr switched me to adderall xr have been on it for like 3 days. I not sure it works as well as the ritalin but i dont have the ups and downs anymore. what i want to know is...Is it ok to mix the two if i feel i need a boost later on in the day when the adderall is starting to wear off and i still have things to do?
The Following User Says Thank You to rockystar000 For This Useful Post:
reboxetine89 (08-08-17)
Old 02-25-10, 05:09 AM
ADDvanced Member

Axel84 is on a distinguished road

Lol I love the fact that many mention "a switch" suddenly activates inside the brain then everything turns fine, this happened to me 2 years ago, i hope it will happen to me again soon since I started with ritalin again 2 weeks ago.

I call it a system recovery re-boot, first you become completely blank for a short while, you feel as if your whole brain is restarting, then BOOM! Your back on-line with everything working like never before, its like a miracle. and the best part? The effect lasts more than 3 hours now, so you wont need to feel stupid for half an hour for each dose you take. In fact it lasted for a whole year last time (although I noticed how my brain slowly went down from a great system, to that piece of sheet Windows Vista.

The key to find this success? Patience, if you 3 months later STILL do not have any good changes, nor the "switch" effect, then you may want to consider changing for something else, but believe me, its worth taking a chance.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Axel84 For This Useful Post:
fracturedstory (05-24-10), Petite (05-06-17), phantasm (07-12-12), reboxetine89 (08-08-17)
Old 05-24-10, 02:06 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 7,911 Times in 4,072 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute

I just started but already I have more motivation to do menial jobs and I wrote non-stop for four hours. I would usually fall asleep after a hour of intense writing. My reading is much more comprehensive too, which is good because maybe I can finally remember physics, which has been holding my studies back.
The Following User Says Thank You to fracturedstory For This Useful Post:
reboxetine89 (08-08-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-10, 11:31 AM
ADDvanced Member

Djo77 will become famous soon enough
Lightbulb Re: Share your Ritalin Success Stories

Today has been the first day I really felt this drug working. At first I got anxious while on it, not only in the rebound. At least thats what I thought. I turns out that I was just not taking enough, and the anxiety you feel when on it (so actually while in rebound) got away (today first day though). When I used more and with more consistency. I know take about 5 /7.5mg an hour. Which works way better then 15 mg per three hours or something similar. I'm intrested to see how much rebound I'll get today though I'll try Concerta next probably + other similar XR medications.
The Following User Says Thank You to Djo77 For This Useful Post:
Petite (05-06-17)
Old 12-16-10, 11:33 AM
ADDvanced Member

Djo77 will become famous soon enough
Lightbulb Re: Share your Ritalin Success Stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockystar000 View Post
first time posting been lurking and reading for about a month now...found this forum when i got officially diagnosed about a month ago and started taking ritalin. I loved the effects and how well i functioned on it, but i didnt like that i had to take it 3 times a day and the ups and downs that came with it. My dr switched me to adderall xr have been on it for like 3 days. I not sure it works as well as the ritalin but i dont have the ups and downs anymore. what i want to know is...Is it ok to mix the two if i feel i need a boost later on in the day when the adderall is starting to wear off and i still have things to do?
You can probably do that yes. Since they are both used for the same cause and are very similar medications. I would ask your doc to be sure though.
Old 01-25-11, 09:04 AM

Tooraj is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Share your Ritalin Success Stories

Hi every body

I'm a severe add 31 yo.
Ritalin worked as a miracle in my life! without it I was losing my life ,education , career , love and relationship entirely since I was diagnosed 3 monthes ago. Although I had lost every thing but FINALY I found the way!
and now I believe that I can start a good life,I can find a good job,countinuing the university, finding a girlfriend(which I have not till now!) and......
I have no side effect on Ritalin but it makes me calm , focused and better in conversation and decession! better in organizing tasks, self confidence and cleaned up depression.
One of the important things Ritalin gave to me ( I think as a Gift!) is decreasing my HUGE DAMN appetite! just by taking a 10mg 1 hour before meal the biggest problem would be solved! Now weighloss is not only a dream for my fat body..It seems that the dreams come true!
The Following User Says Thank You to Tooraj For This Useful Post:
reboxetine89 (08-08-17)
Old 01-29-11, 04:33 PM

Tooraj is on a distinguished road

Unfortunately in iran ( the country where i live) it is hard that doctor believes you that you are an ADD! Because of the problem of drug abuse! they think that you are lying.
Here there is not adderall or dexedrine . Only Ritalin !
The psychologists here prescribe drugs only for insane people! completely rediculous! isn't it?
Because of that I have tested ephedrine (which is similar to methamphetamine and because of the lack of adderall) althouth it gave me the motivation and self steem and other good things but it made me nervous ! Ritalin gave me all of that things but instead of being nervous I'm calm!I can sleep very good with ritalin but with ephedrine I had problems of sleeping!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tooraj For This Useful Post:
creativegal (03-05-12), qinkin (02-03-11), reboxetine89 (08-08-17)
Old 02-16-11, 07:49 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Bezuidenthustra is a name known to allBezuidenthustra is a name known to allBezuidenthustra is a name known to allBezuidenthustra is a name known to allBezuidenthustra is a name known to allBezuidenthustra is a name known to all

I could write about this forever. I honestly could. I won't, but I'll still put down a lot of detail.

The following is my experience with Ritalin. This drug quite literally saved my life.

What you need to know about me before I even get started is that I'm actually a medication dissident in general. If I can avoid taking a pill for something, I will. For example, I have a badly slipped disk in my lower back for which I'm supposed to take a regular supply of ibuprofen, but I often suffer through the pain for days at a time rather than take my medicine. I don't really know what I gain by doing this, but for some reason I've always taken pride in this stubbornness.

AD/HD was even more complicated. I simply pretended it wasn't real for the longest time. I bought into all the myths around the disorder. It was convenient, not only because there's a deceptive logical structure to those myths, but also because it gave me license to do what so many depressed people like to do: blame myself, blame others, and cycle through the endless downward spiral of unnecessary guilt and anger. Misery does love company, but only because it spreads misery to that company.

Misery loves nothing better than more misery.

Here's the problem, though. My stubbornness and willful ignorance were slowly breaking me down into nothing. I lived my life blindfolded, with one hand tied behind my back. I didn't attempt the things my abilities dictated I should be capable of, and even the things I did attempt I rarely finished. I wasn't just underperforming, I was severely underachieving. I couldn't keep my **** together, even for the most mundane things. Friendships continuously fell apart. Not just friendships, either. I was in a long-term relationship with the most amazing woman I could ever have hoped to fall in love with. All things considered, we were perfect together. But not even that could last. When your life is a crumbling dump and you can't even keep it together for two days straight, it's difficult to balance a healthy relationship.

The above isn't all AD/HD's fault, but living with this disorder is like driving a car with a screwy engine. Sure, there might be a bunch of other problems making life difficult with that car - for example, the battery is shot, the alternator needs to be replaced, etc. - but no matter how well you tune all that other crap, you're still clunking along clumsily. You wouldn't put up with that if you had the money and knew a good mechanic, would you? No. And neither would I.

Except I did. For a very long time. Because I was stubborn and willfully ignorant.

And then **** hit the fan. I went to law school. Doing well in law school is virtually impossible when you have severe AD/HD because of the nature of the degree. But I needed to do well to keep my scholarship and stay in the US. My anxiety grew. All the other problems were exacerbated. My relationship began crumbling. My anxiety shot up even higher. I had suicidal ideation. It seemed that I was about to fail at everything that I'd been working towards, and to lose the most important person in my life in the process. And even at this point, I still refused to admit that it might be because of AD/HD. And that there might be a solution.

Finally, thanks to pure desperation and the insistence of my partner as well as my mother, I went to see a psychiatrist. What did she say? Surprise! You have ADHD! I mean, I'd known that since I was 12, but like I said, I just ignored it. But she explained it. Without even trying to, she suddenly framed almost all my problems in a structure I could understand. I really am a textbook case for combined type ADHD, and I finally understood what that truly meant.

Speaking of textbooks, exams were less than a month away, and I had nearly a thousand pages of dense reading to catch up on, nevermind parse, memorize, and practice that information.

What could I do? I wanted to know. Try the medication, she said. I'm not sure, I said. Would you say no to insulin if you had diabetes? she asked. It's not the same, I said. Not exactly, but the point is that they're both medicine - I'm giving you what works, and I'm not making this stuff up, she said.

I didn't really have much of a choice. Because of the compressed time frame, she wrote me four prescriptions, each to try for a short period of time. I kept a journal with it.

I tried Adderall. No good. It helped a bit, but I may as well have drank a lot of coffee. And my anxiety skyrocketed. Then I tried a generic form of Ritalin (can't remember which), which worked decently well but also exacerbated my anxiety. At that point any extra anxiety killed my ability to concentrate, so it wasn't worth it.

Barely more than a week into my drug experiments, I filled my Ritalin prescription. All instant release. Start at 10mg, record experience. Wait 3-4 hours. Try 15mg, record experience. 20mg, 25mg, up to 30mg (I'm 5'11, 185lbs).

The 10mg didn't do much. The 15mg was noticeable. I went to bed. The next day, I started off with 20mg.

It was like a light switch turned on in my brain.

I sat down and read flawlessly through five cases. I took notes, parsed the information, even memorized some of it in the process. I then called my mom and managed to slowly and clearly explain my experience to her, a stupendous feat for me, speaking Afrikaans over the phone.

I stuck with that dose. It got me through exams. I didn't get the grades I needed, but the simple fact that I managed to catch up and do decently well was incredible enough. (Anyone who's been in law school can tell you that catching up on 1000+ pages of readings in two weeks is mind-blowing. I still can't believe I did it.)

I couldn't save my relationship. The damage had been done, and when I didn't get the grades and couldn't keep the scholarship, I had to move away and we decided to abandon the struggles of long distance.

I don't really believe in regrets, but if I did, I'd list not listening to my partner and mother years earlier when they suggested I go get help for my ADHD. And since that help would've included taking Ritalin, I'd say it's one of my major regrets that I did not take this medication when it could've helped prevent my problems.

Ritalin quite literally saved my life. Yes, I did "fail", but knowing I had a method to fight back was what dragged me through that dark time. (Please note that there were other factors contributing to my suicidal depression which I won't discuss on this forum.)

Today, I have the courage to attempt things knowing I might fail them, because I know I have a method to focus and push towards completion. I'm more organized, I'm more accomplished, and I'm in better touch with my friends. Ironically, it took abandoning the people I love (literally moving somewhere new with nothing) to draw closer to them. Yes, it's still all a lot more work for me than it is for the NTs I know. But this medication truly has had such far-reaching effects in my life.

The scope of stimulant medication's effects in the day-to-day as well as future hopes of those with AD/HD can hardly be exaggerated. It doesn't just help you do your homework or finish your work emails. It helps you pull together all those strands that used to unravel around you, eventually to get lost somewhere in the confused and muddy corners of your life. It helps you create lists and stick to them. It helps you prioritize output channels and get **** done properly. It helps you slow down, formulate your thoughts, and vocalize them appropriately. It helps you get up to start something, and then it helps you stick to that thing until you finish it.

I'm not saying it takes away the struggle. It's an aid, not a cure. But dammit, it's one hell of an aid.

Ritalin is helping me realize my potential. I'm still a long way away from where I want to be, but I now know I have a way to get there. It might not work for you, but if you have AD/HD, it's worth a shot.

Pardon the novel. I had to get this all down somewhere so I can refer to it in other threads. Luckily I took my Ritalin and was able to concentrate on putting this all together in one go! hahaha

Writer and general kook with ADHD, OCD, TS, depression, and monkey arms. I regularly blog about those things. I also write other fun stuff.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Bezuidenthustra For This Useful Post:
400 Lux (02-22-14), clarysage (03-02-18), creativegal (03-05-12), dellafalls (09-24-11), DichotOhMy (10-06-13), EatPeach (03-15-12), FroGpants (11-14-12), Lucifero666 (05-12-12), madeinholland (09-15-13), Petite (05-06-17), phantasm (07-12-12), Ravenstar (03-16-12), StoicNate (03-19-11), Tooraj (02-24-11), Valleyview (10-27-16)
Old 02-16-11, 09:01 AM
Committee Member

shortyboy205 is on a distinguished road

I'm 28 and been on rittlin for 8 month's and I'm amazed on what it's done for me.I take 2 tables at 7 am and 1 at 1pm and I'm focused all day on whatever I need to be doing even so that I'm going back to college in September and that I'm having a tutor for my mathematics and English again. Some people say that they get a crash after a few hours and slump but for me I have to take risperdal to reverse the affects otherwise I won't sleep at all
Old 03-19-11, 08:57 AM
ADDvanced Member

Saito is a jewel in the roughSaito is a jewel in the roughSaito is a jewel in the rough

It's like all of the sudden the entire world would finally shut up.

Before: If 10 people around me where holding a conversation with each other my concentration would be equally spread over these making it almost impossible to focus on my work.

Now: I hear them but now instead of taking up almost all my concentration they get maybe 5% and the other 95% of my concentration goes to what ever I'm doing. I can't wait to see what sort of effect it will have in the pub which is usually even harder for me to focus on anything.

This world also includes myself.

Before: All sorts of thoughts would just randomly pop in to my mind. During a conversation my head would be like "random thought" "random thought" "random thought" "random thought" "conversation topic" "random thought" "random thought" "random thought" "conversation topic" etc etc. Making it extremely hard to hold a conversation and it often resulted in slow responses or no response at all. Which gets you strange looks and certainly doesn't help your relationships.

Now: Now I can easily focus on a conversation and reply much faster and more accurate. This also means I'm more impulsive which in my case is really a good thing. One thing I feared with ritalin is that I would lose my creativity. In my line of work I'm a troubleshooter and my strong point was that I could often come up with good solutions by thinking "outside the box". But to my surprise this didn't become less it became better! Not only do those thoughts and ideas still come in my mind they come there faster and clearer then ever and completely at random times (like the middle of the night..).

Food, drinks and drugs,

Before: I already ate pretty healthy 3 meals a day and rarely ate any sweets. The problem was alcohol. I have always had a really really strong resistance against alcohol so when hanging out with friends or going to the pub I would drink a lot often more then twice that of anyone else or more and in the end I would still be one of the more sober people in the group. This could easily translate to 8 to 10 0.5 liter cans in an evening/night and I would simply wake up the next morning without a hangover or anything. Now you think thats cool and all but it has a lot of downsides... I spend a lot money on it especially in the pub and the other downside was my weight gain. Now I'm far from fat ( +- 200lbs/90kg @ 6'1/185cm) but it was increasing...

Now: Well I just tried what effect alcohol would have on me with Ritalin. One 0.5l can and I was pretty well drunk similar to 6 to 8 cans normally! Wanting to see what my limit was I took another one which was a pretty bad idea I haven't been that drunk in years and I woke up with a pretty bad hangover. But I'm happy with the result! Not only is this going to save me a ton of money I'll probably lose my beer belly pretty quickly at this rate And the best thing is after the first beer I really didn't feel like I wanted another one normally I really have to stop myself from taking another one so that makes stopping drinking so much easier.

Memory:

Before: My memory was bad... really, really bad and was actually a even bigger problem then my concentration. I could easily talk to someone and not remember how they looked or what their name was even if they came back 5 minutes later. Same went for my tasks especially at work I would often forget to call people or do things i promised even though they where in my agenda. My head would just be so full of things that I couldn't get my self to do things. Which also resulted in bills not being paid and taxes not filled in on time etc...

Now: I still remember at least 80% of all the people I talked to and how the look, where their office is, what problems they had and how I resolved them. Same goes for personal life I remember what was said from all the 4 days I have been on ritalin now. It's amazing! I also sorted out all my paperwork that starting to pile up and probably saved myself a lot of money and problems because some of them where final reminders...

Overall I think I can live with this Better yet I think I can finally start living!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bezuidenthustra

The scope of stimulant medication's effects in the day-to-day as well as future hopes of those with AD/HD can hardly be exaggerated. It doesn't just help you do your homework or finish your work emails. It helps you pull together all those strands that used to unravel around you, eventually to get lost somewhere in the confused and muddy corners of your life. It helps you create lists and stick to them. It helps you prioritize output channels and get **** done properly. It helps you slow down, formulate your thoughts, and vocalize them appropriately. It helps you get up to start something, and then it helps you stick to that thing until you finish it.
Very well said! I totally agree with everything you have said.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Saito For This Useful Post:
clarysage (03-02-18), EatPeach (03-15-12), Ejdaddy001 (11-25-16), MountainMan (11-02-11), phantasm (07-12-12), tipoo (07-04-11), Tooraj (03-19-11)
Old 04-09-11, 06:55 PM

elysie100 has a spectacular aura aboutelysie100 has a spectacular aura about

I just took my second dose of Ritalin today. It was only 5 mg and I'm not planning to take it everyday as I find I can function without it, but there are certain areas where I really struggle. Today I cleaned my house after I took my dose. It was fantastic!!! Usually I get soo distracted when I try to do things like washing the dishes. I washed every dish in the house today. Also cleaned the bathroom, took out the trash, cleaned other miscellaneous items.
The only thing I really had on my agenda today was washing the dishes, I didn't even care if I didn't complete any other cleaning tasks today. It was like I was so much more AWARE. I would look around and the dirty dishes just jumped out at me. When I'm not on medication I'll wash the obvious dishes but I might leave behind half of them if they're not sitting right in the sink (ie - the cup in the living room, the plate on the stove, the pot I put on the counter to move it out of the way....). I also put all the dishes away which is unheard of for me. Usually I'll leave them until I use them the next time.
I couldn't believe what a difference it made! I would describe my feeling as like having drank a lot of caffeine - I felt hyper, but I didn't have the jittery feeling of caffeine. When I sat down I didn't fidget either and my body felt calm.
I'm hoping, hoping, hoping that this continues and doesn't go away after I use it a few more times. I'm hoping that if I only use it 2-3 times a week I might not develop too much of a tolerance to it.
Old 04-25-11, 08:52 PM
Jr Member

ADDmommynme is on a distinguished road

The effect Ritalin has had on my, and my child's life is a total miracle. My child was dx first, and during that process I was just like "Uh, me too!" for every bit of criteria, every symptom, every struggle. Knowing what I went through as a child and teen, being labeled a troublesome kid instead of anyone helping me made it so easy for me to decide medication was the right choice for us. I got in touch with a psychologist immediately to begin my own dx process. While she is on Concerta, I am using Ritalin IR because I have a rather erratic schedule. Being in control of the peaks and come downs is a huge benefit to this particular drug.

The first time I took Ritalin, during dx, I had the light switch experience. I was amazed, this is what it is supposed to be like! Suddenly my understanding of how my friends/fam saw the world and managed to seem so on top of it was clear. I felt (not in a euphoric or high way) like I could conquer things that seemed overwhelming just an hour before.

I have now been using Ritalin for about 3 mos, and am still tinkering with the dosage to get the most benefit, but it has been nothing short of life changing.

I am identifying issues that I need to change, planning ways to make the changes, and implementing the changes! I have lost my all or nothing mentality, realizing that no one is perfect anyway.

It may not be the medication that helps everyone, and there may come a time when I need to change but for now it has allowed me to slow down and see the things I need to do to get my head above water. It's not a quick fix, no little pill can make everything better but the right med can allow you to get your footing so that you can solve your problems.
The Following User Says Thank You to ADDmommynme For This Useful Post:
400 Lux (02-22-14)
Old 06-29-11, 03:26 AM

tecal2002 is on a distinguished road

Hello, this is my first post but I feel I need to communicate with other people on Ritalin. I am 22 yr old college student taking 54 mg of Ritalin.

The success part of my story is that I am taking a chemistry class in college that is extremely difficult and doing pretty well. I had chemistry before (in high school where it was much easier) and failed miserably. It feels really good to now be one of the smartest chem students in the room where before it was a total fail. I know the Ritalin is a big help because The first day in class I had forgot to take it and it was like taking an advanced Chinese Language class. The first day of medication, its like a light switch was turned on and I was eating the information up and making sense of everything. It was a complete 180 in my level of focus and retention. My hand writing and note taking had also dramatically improved.

The negative part (and I've only taken Ritalin for about 3 weeks now) is the physical side effects like sleep troubles, loss of appetite, slight social introversion, lack of interest in some things and some bad foot cramping. I have to drink water like crazy all day.

The physical side effects suck, but are manageable since the benefit is getting my education on track, but the thing that bothers me the most is that the topics I used to be very good at and excelled in, I know have a problem with, or at least am not as good as I used to be. For example, I do very well in reading, writing and English language critical thinking but am horrible at math and anything that has to do with #'s (before medication).

After medication I've actually become very good with numbers, where before I couldn't make sense of formulas and patterns, and memorizing items, now it feels like that is my strongest talent. I've always been great at reading test questions and could figure out correct answers just by what "sounded right" where no one else could do that. I feel like that talent is weaker than what it used to be, and the comprehension that I have for the English language has gotten weaker as well. It feels like I went from right brained to left brained as soon as I got on Ritalin.

Does anyone have any similar experiences like this. If so, what should I do.

P.S. I don't know if this reveals anything but if I stay up and do math type homework (which most of chemistry is) or studying, it takes me forever to fall asleep, if I sleep at all. When I leave the writing portion of my homework and do it last (or I write for pleasure), I notice it calms me and I go to bed fairly quickly and rest better.
Old 09-04-11, 12:00 PM

Darku333 is on a distinguished road

Ok, this is my first post and I would like to share my success story with Ritalin LA.
I have taken Adderal, Ritalin SR, Stratera, and Ritalin LA in that order.The Adderal made me fall asleep in class, so I was taken off of it. The SR was extremely embarassing since I had to go to the nurse at lunch everyday. And the stratera, lets just say it did jack **** for being a huge pill I had to take every morning. Then, I started on Ritalin LA. I remember begining at around a dose of 40 mg. It worked for a little bit, like a year, then I became pretty tolerant to it so my psychopharmacologist (great guy, except for when he writes my siblings names on my prescription and I have to explain it to the insurance.) upped the dose. We went up in increments of about 10 until we reached the sweet spot I am at today. 80 mg of Ritalin LA. I take it in the morning, and if I don't take it, you don't want to be around me. I literally am extremely intolerable. I roam around, watching TV for about 10 minutes, getting up, doing something, then forgetting what I was doing, going back to the TV, and just literally acting like someone who should be in an asylum. When I take my ritalin, I feel like a different person, a better person. I am motivated, I get work done, I am respectful, and I learn.

Of course, this doesn't come without its downs. On the ritalin, if I try to ingest food, I feel extreme nausea and want to vomit. I know I cannot consume alcohol because of the increased toxicity. I have trouble falling asleep, and if I fall asleep during the day, I lose all track of what time it is, (doctor has prescribed me a benzodiazepine to mitigate the effects of the insomnia). My eating habits are extremely messed up, to the point where I will eat lunch at around 6:30pm, and dinner at around 10:30 pm. My legs will twitch sometimes as well.

But honestly, it is all worth it. Without the Ritalin, I would be lost, and I would, as I told you before, just roam around my house. I am sure at least some of you know that feeling.

Thanks for reading this, and I hope it made some people connect with me, or at least see that ritalin can help you.

Last edited by APSJ; 09-04-11 at 04:09 PM.. Reason: added paragraph breaks
Old 11-01-11, 02:35 PM

Monkey Bean is a glorious beacon of lightMonkey Bean is a glorious beacon of lightMonkey Bean is a glorious beacon of lightMonkey Bean is a glorious beacon of lightMonkey Bean is a glorious beacon of lightMonkey Bean is a glorious beacon of light

I'm still in my first month of taking Ritalin (15mg 2xd), so I think it's too early to declare a success story. Maybe a few months from now. But there are immediate successes.

The first few days were sort of weird. There was that sensation of quietness in the mind many people talk about. Noises and visual distractions stopped becoming so intrusive. I felt much more able to focus on and enjoy conversations, and hearing people talk. Over the years, I had developed all sorts of coping mechanisms for social interactions to look like I was paying attention, and I would constantly want to interrupt, or just get the heck away. It was bizarre for the "mechanisms" to turn into...natural products of actually paying attention. It was so unusual to come away from a conversation having heard and absorbed the information.

My focus improved dramatically. I write (sadly, not creatively) for a living, in a job I've had for about 8 months, and would frequently find myself bogged down and overwhelmed by piles of work. Getting started and working through the terminally boring, tedious details just felt like complete agony. I failed to do pretty much all of the basic paperwork I had to get done. Ritalin pretty much saved me there.

My difficulties step-parenting is what actually led me to seek a diagnosis and medication. I'm finding I'm a lot less irritable and a lot less likely to get angry now. I am getting better at organizing weekend and weeknight activities and then actually doing them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Monkey Bean For This Useful Post:
Ejdaddy001 (11-25-16)