ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Ritalin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ritalin (methylphenidate)

Old 12-26-07, 02:40 AM

ADD3D is on a distinguished road
Re: Share your Ritalin Success Stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by watt_the?!
jimi hendrix didnt have any creativity "issues"..
He was on Ritilin?
Old 12-30-07, 06:01 PM

watt_the?! will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADD3D View Post
He was on Ritilin?
\

dont think so...speed and lsd yes...

dex daily (just started) , escitalopram 40mg daily. Been on virtually everything for depression with marginal success - even had ECT.
Old 04-16-08, 02:57 AM
Jr Member

ComparedToWho is on a distinguished road

I was Dx about 15 yrs ago and was started on Ritalin. Since then I have tried whatever longer acting/extended release flavor-of-the-year ADHD Rx was available, but NOTHING has come close to the positive benefits of Ritalin. I take 20mg 4 times a day (yup, every 3 hrs) and have done so for 95% of the last 15 yrs. I have no bothersome side effects. Those who know me are able to tell when I'm due to take my med, when I've missed a dose, etc. When I stay on track with the doses, I am most productive, least disruptive, and am not pinging from here to there and everywhere in between in thought and action with whatever catches my attention/interest.

Female, 39, ADHD "Poster Adult" per my doc.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ComparedToWho For This Useful Post:
FroGpants (11-14-12), Tooraj (02-11-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-08, 09:50 PM

Cool and Unusual is on a distinguished road

My first dose had almost no effect. Should I be worried?

I took Ritalin for almost 10 years as a kid and it was very effective. I got stubborn and went off it as a teenager and have struggled with attention ever since (I'm 25 now). I finally came to terms with having ADD and went to the doctor and got a prescription for Ritalin. I took 40 mg because I'm a big guy and the doc told me to experiment with different dosages to see what I need, and I sat down to study for my law school finals, and I was just as easily distracted and unproductive as I've ever been. Why didn't it work? Is there hope that it will get better?
Old 05-07-08, 09:55 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,792 Times in 1,934 Posts
Imnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond repute

DrBassman, I assume you are taking 40 mg. of regular release Ritalin? How did you feel with the first dose? It takes a while for your brain to adjust to any medication. How often are you taking it per day?

Phaedrus

Old 05-07-08, 10:08 PM

It is regular release, and I just started today. I feel no different from normal. Maybe just a little bit low-energy but I'm probably just tired. I'm worried because even though I'm going to start taking this twice a day, every day, the immediate reason I need it is to help me study for finals, and my first dose didn't do anything. I have a final on Friday and another on Wednesday and I really need to get some serious studying done. Other people are all saying they had enormous differences with their first dose, and I know this drug works for me because I used it as a kid (and briefly on an as-needed basis for one semester in college). Why isn't it working yet?
Old 05-07-08, 10:18 PM

Imnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond repute

My first dose: within thirty minutes I felt calm and relaxed, like I had just gotten out of the pool after swimming laps. My prescribing psychiatrist told me to give it a week of regular doses every four hours for my brain to adjust. It did. I also learned that on some days it is better to take another dose in three hours, not four.

Twice a day? What are you going to do with the rest of the day? Ritalin is in and out of your system within four hours with a peak benefit of only two hours; for some people, it's even less. It can take an hour to really start working and even though it is out of your system quickly, there is a residual benefit as you add more doses through the day.

Phaedrus

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Imnapl For This Useful Post:
FroGpants (11-14-12), goingforit (05-15-09), jari (08-31-09), Naela84 (11-13-13)
Old 05-07-08, 10:39 PM

I'm not sure how the schedule is gonna work out. I have to take a high dose because I'm a big guy, and Walgreens refused to fill my whole 180 pill (10 mg each) prescription, saying they could only give me 120 by state law. The bottle also says no refills on it, and my doctor is about 40 minutes away from me (and not covered directly by my school insurance).

At that rate, if I took it three times a day, I would use up a prescription every 10 days. There's absolutely no way I can go see the doctor every 10 days to get a new prescription.

Meanwhile I'm still worried about my inability to focus. That's the whole reason I'm taking the drug...why didn't it have any effect? Is there anybody else who noticed no effect on their first dose?
Old 05-07-08, 10:44 PM

I hate it when a prescribing physician and a pharmacy don't give a new patient detailed information!!!

Ritalin is not prescribed based on weight so forget the "I'm a big guy" thing. I know lightweight, petite women who need high doses. Start out with only 10 mg, every four hours for the first week and see how you feel. I know I'm not a medical professional, but this is standard informationn available to everyone.

Phaedrus

Old 05-07-08, 10:47 PM

I didn't know it had nothing to do with my weight, but I'm basing it on the experience I had in college. I tried taking 20 mg in the beginning and didn't do anything, so I started taking 40 and 50 mg at a time and it worked. But I only took it if I had a lot of studying to do or a big paper to write, so it wasn't a regular thing.
Old 05-07-08, 10:52 PM

As you probably already know, more is not necessarily better. What qualifications does you doctor have?

Phaedrus

Old 05-07-08, 11:08 PM

Umm, she's a doctor. She's a GP who has served my whole family well for years. I genuinely appreciate you taking the time to offer me feedback, but you're not really answering my question. I'm concerned that the drug is having no effect on me and you're telling me to take less of it. My question isn't whether I need to take less, my question is whether it's normal for the first dose to have no effect at all, and if it isn't normal, what does that mean for me? Did something in me change so that a drug that used to work for me doesn't work anymore? And how am I going to improve my focus if this doesn't work? I apologize for the panicky tone, I'm just under enormous time pressure and incredibly disappointed that the drug didn't start working right away. I think I got a generic version, could that make a difference? Thanks again for taking the time to talk to me about it.
Old 05-07-08, 11:34 PM

Cool and Unusual, a call to your doctor would be a good idea.

Phaedrus

Old 05-07-08, 11:46 PM

Thanks. Is anybody else familiar with this type of situation? Does anyone know whether it's normal for a first dose to have no effect?
Old 05-18-08, 12:23 PM

addguy19833 is on a distinguished road

Ritalin is outstanding i m on it but the problem is the short term duration
i want more and more cos im an MD
so im thinkin to switch to strattera
wat do u think guys?

thanks