ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Ritalin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ritalin (methylphenidate)

Old 12-30-18, 01:21 AM

scubaboy6834 is on a distinguished road
Ritalin/Concerta with Dex IR booster?

Is there any reason that these two classes of stimulants should not be given together?

I am very satisfied with my IR Dex booster (Zenzedi). Not so with all of the XR/ER amphetamines I've tried. My only other option left for a longer acting amphetamine is Dex Spansules, but these are pricey and will be hard to find since it seems the only generic available in this area will not work for me (as its IR Dex did not work either). So I am wondering if I should bring up maybe trying Ritalin/Rit LA/Concerta with my p-doc before trying Dex Spansules.

Anyone take a methylphenidate med in the AM and amphetamine med in the PM (or vice versa)?

I felt tired, flat, and irritable on mixed levo/ dextro amphetamines (Adderall, Adzenys) but not Zenzedi (just dextro). Has anyone felt the tired flatness on Adderall but had a good reaction to a methylphenidate drug?

Thanks.
Old 01-07-19, 11:40 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,083 Times in 15,343 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ritalin/Concerta with Dex IR booster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubaboy6834 View Post
Is there any reason that these two classes of stimulants should not be given together?

I am very satisfied with my IR Dex booster (Zenzedi). Not so with all of the XR/ER amphetamines I've tried. My only other option left for a longer acting amphetamine is Dex Spansules, but these are pricey and will be hard to find since it seems the only generic available in this area will not work for me (as its IR Dex did not work either).
When you say "its ir" do you mean the brand of spansules? The two are very different. The spansules I used to take were by teva/barr and were very good. Adderall xr and ir are what I take now. I think I am lucky that I get an xr that works so well for me. The ir is my booster dose.

Quote:
So I am wondering if I should bring up maybe trying Ritalin/Rit LA/Concerta with my p-doc before trying Dex Spansules.
Quote:
Methylphenidate primarily acts as a norepinephrine–dopamine reuptake inhibitor (NDRI). It is a benzylpiperidine and phenethylamine derivative which also shares part of its basic structure with catecholamines.

Methylphenidate is most active at modulating levels of dopamine (DA) and to a lesser extent norepinephrine.[92] Methylphenidate binds to and blocks dopamine transporters (DAT) and norepinephrine transporters.[93] Variability exists between DAT blockade, and extracellular dopamine, leading to the hypothesis that methylphenidate amplifies basal dopamine activity, leading to nonresponse in those with low basal DA activity.[94] On average, methylphenidate elicits a 3–4 times increase in dopamine and norepinephrine in the striatum and prefrontal cortex.[95] Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) studies suggest that long-term treatment with ADHD stimulants (specifically, amphetamine and methylphenidate) decreases abnormalities in brain structure and function found in subjects with ADHD.[96][97][98]
Quote:
Amphetamine exerts its behavioral effects by altering the use of monoamines as neuronal signals in the brain, primarily in catecholamine neurons in the reward and executive function pathways of the brain.[37][59] The concentrations of the main neurotransmitters involved in reward circuitry and executive functioning, dopamine and norepinephrine, increase dramatically in a dose-dependent manner by amphetamine due to its effects on monoamine transporters.[37][59][149] The reinforcing and motivational salience-promoting effects of amphetamine are mostly due to enhanced dopaminergic activity in the mesolimbic pathway.[26] The euphoric and locomotor-stimulating effects of amphetamine are dependent upon the magnitude and speed by which it increases synaptic dopamine and norepinephrine concentrations in the striatum.[3]
I am hoping someone with better understanding of this can break it down. It would seem like the mechanism of action for both drugs is similar but different enough where it may mean they could compete with each other? I am not sure though.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
scubaboy6834 (01-13-19)
Old 01-13-19, 10:47 PM

scubaboy6834 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Ritalin/Concerta with Dex IR booster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
When you say "its ir" do you mean the brand of spansules? The two are very different. The spansules I used to take were by teva/barr and were very good. Adderall xr and ir are what I take now. I think I am lucky that I get an xr that works so well for me. The ir is my booster dose.

Nope, IR Dex tablets by Teva. I've never tried the Spansules, glad the Teva/Barr Spansules were better than Teva IR Dex tabs. What made you switch back to Adderall XR from the Spansules? Were they really hard to find? I have a hell of a time finding pharmacies who can get Zenzedi. CVS dominates where I live and their wholesaler couldn't even get it!

I am hoping someone with better understanding of this can break it down. It would seem like the mechanism of action for both drugs is similar but different enough where it may mean they could compete with each other? I am not sure though.
Thank you for this! I sent it to my doc, who is now suggesting maybe alternating between methylphenidate(if methylphenidate works for my symptoms at all) and Zenzedi to avoid this problem. Seems kind of complicated. I haven't tried that class of medication but I doubt I'll get lucky twice. I will bring up the Spansules. Unfortunately there is a new law as of 2019 that makes it even harder for docs to use paper scripts. Once the Dr sends an electronic script to the pharmacy, if they don't have the meds you have to call your doctor and have them send it somewhere else, which could continue ad infinitum as no pharmacy will tell you if they have a drug in stock without a written script. It sucks!
Sponsored Links