ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Ritalin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ritalin (methylphenidate)

Old 11-25-18, 05:07 PM
Jr Member

gateway is on a distinguished road
Started on Medikinet, got a few questions

Hi there!

I previously tried Ritalin 10mg IR under my GP's supervision, and I did alright, he told me it was going to be like "cocaine" but for me it wasn't the case, I was functioning normal and didn't feel any high nor anything, after a few days my personal entourage started realizing that I was doing better, and I also saw some progress.

When my psychiatrist came back from holidays, we decided to try Strattera 10 mg, and ugh... the side effects of it were awful.

We switched to Medikinet 5 mg twice a day, it's an EU variable that lies between Ritalin and Concerta (duration) if im not mistaken it lasts around 5-6 hours.

It did nothing, then we raised the dose to 10 mgs twice a day, and while I see more improvements in my energy levels (im going to the gym) have more energy, motivation etc, the concentration isn't as good as it was the first week of me taking 10mgs, I get distracted sometimes quite easily, meaning it has decreased.

I also take 300 mg of Wellbutrin to battle the depressions. I don't drink, don't smoke and eat quite healthy, I do sometimes drink coffee, and as soon as I wake up I must have an energy drink to activate me.

Sometimes I take Atarax (antihistaminic) to sleep, but wake up quite tired, but imo its way better than Triticco.

I am wondering, if the dose is correct? perhaps an increase is needed to 20 mg? or perhaps I should take it 3 times a day instead of 2?

Since I take Wellbutrin which has similar effects to Medikinet, I don't know if raising it to 20mg would be too much.

What do you guys think? I really don't want to screw this up obviously because of the resistance factor, I thought about quitting my daily energy drink and eating a bit less? my appetite has not been affected in any way.

I am also a bit worried because here in Austria it is quite hard to get this prescription and the regulations are quite strict regarding Methylphenidate, my psychiatrist follows the guidelines strictly, which in a way I like, so I don't want him to think im a junkie or something

Finally, I wanted to ask regarding drinking, I haven't had have a beer since I started back on Wellbutrin, but sometimes I do miss having a Beer or maybe 2, anyone on this combo that has experience on it? maybe stop taking medication for a couple days or dunno?

Thank you very much for your help and advices
Old 11-26-18, 12:19 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all
Re: Started on Medikinet, got a few questions

If you find a dose of methylphenidate that works for you, then your doctor should prescribe methylphenidate.

Your dose of methylphenidate is relatively low. It shouldn't be a big deal to ask for an increase. But again, if your dose is working well, then you don't need to increase it.
The Following User Says Thank You to CharlesH For This Useful Post:
gateway (11-28-18)