ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Ritalin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ritalin (methylphenidate)

Old 09-27-18, 08:24 AM
ADDvanced Member

Barbrady1 is on a distinguished road
Why has Ritalin turned me into a mindless zombie?

Iíve been taking small doses of instant release Ritalin for about seven months now. Whilst it was incredible for my ADHD during the first two months or so, now I become almost incapable of thought after about an hour of taking it. Itís strange and extremely frustrating because Iím only taking 5-7.5mg (as prescribed by my doctor), which were not past my Ďtherapeutic windowí when I first started taking it.

Is it tolerance?

Should I be taking med holidays?

Or have I permanently damaged my dopaminergic receptors by taking it for over six months?

I apologise if this is the wrong place to ask such questions but my doctor canít do anything other than re-refer me to an ADHD clinic.

If anyone has experience of this blunting effect after initial success on the treatment, Iíd be interested to know what helped.

Thanks.
Old 09-27-18, 10:40 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 27,483 Times in 13,303 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why has Ritalin turned me into a mindless zombie?

Maybe your intital dose was a bit too low.
how many times per day do you take the IR ?
The Following User Says Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
Barbrady1 (09-27-18)
Old 09-27-18, 10:48 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stef View Post
Maybe your intital dose was a bit too low.
how many times per day do you take the IR ?
It’s taken three times a day. Someone on another forum suggested it’s a form of acute tolerance called tachphylaxis (?).

I assume upping the dose would only intensify my visit to zombie land.

I don’t really know what to do now as I can’t stand what I’ve become on the meds but I suspect I would have to quit my job if I were to stop taking Ritalin. My sensory system would be too overwhelmed.

The Following User Says Thank You to Barbrady1 For This Useful Post:
stef (09-27-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-18, 12:01 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

Perhaps it could be drug sensitization (aka "reverse tolerance")? That could explain why you're getting such a strong reaction to a small dose.

There's evidence to suggest that's possible with stimulants. Though I don't remember off the top of my head whether those studies were done with therapeutic doses.
Old 09-27-18, 12:04 PM

Thanked 34,233 Times in 15,486 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

i really think methylphenidate might not be the best choice for you, given this and your other thread.

can your physician try dexedrine instead?
The Following User Says Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (10-30-18)
Old 09-27-18, 02:02 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
i really think methylphenidate might not be the best choice for you, given this and your other thread.

can your physician try dexedrine instead?
I donít believe Dexedrine is available in the UK, and I cannot be prescribed medications for ADHD as I was discharged from the clinic in July.

If I want to try another medication, I would have to either break the law by buying such a drug on the dark net or pay for private treatment.
peripatetic (09-27-18)
Old 10-25-18, 07:24 AM

EMPTYSKULL is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbrady1 View Post
I’ve been taking small doses of instant release Ritalin for about seven months now. Whilst it was incredible for my ADHD during the first two months or so, now I become almost incapable of thought after about an hour of taking it. It’s strange and extremely frustrating because I’m only taking 5-7.5mg (as prescribed by my doctor), which were not past my ‘therapeutic window’ when I first started taking it.

Is it tolerance?

Should I be taking med holidays?

Or have I permanently damaged my dopaminergic receptors by taking it for over six months?

I apologise if this is the wrong place to ask such questions but my doctor can’t do anything other than re-refer me to an ADHD clinic.

If anyone has experience of this blunting effect after initial success on the treatment, I’d be interested to know what helped.

Thanks.
Never heard of someone taking such low doses. From my experience low doses give worst side effects than too high doses. and you are saying you are taking so low doses for 6 month? start going up you will feel much better try it and you will see that the effects you are getting are because of the low doses. You are still going to feel terrible after 3 hours, but when you are on a low dose you feel very bad from the start, better not taking it at all. After 6 month I was on 20mg X 3, and it was working good. Try 12.5 or 15 per dose.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EMPTYSKULL For This Useful Post:
Barbrady1 (10-28-18), Lunacie (10-30-18)
Old 10-28-18, 10:40 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMPTYSKULL View Post
Never heard of someone taking such low doses. From my experience low doses give worst side effects than too high doses. and you are saying you are taking so low doses for 6 month? start going up you will feel much better try it and you will see that the effects you are getting are because of the low doses. You are still going to feel terrible after 3 hours, but when you are on a low dose you feel very bad from the start, better not taking it at all. After 6 month I was on 20mg X 3, and it was working good. Try 12.5 or 15 per dose.
Thanks for your reply.

But if I start taking 12.5-15mg three times a day, wonít I just become even more immune to its positive effects?

If tolerance to a certain dosage occurs after just a few weeks or months, how is medication going to be a feasible long-term form of treatment for ADHD?
namazu (10-28-18)
Old 10-29-18, 07:07 AM

Vrantic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I donít believe Dexedrine is available in the UK, and I cannot be prescribed medications for ADHD as I was discharged from the clinic in July.

If I want to try another medication, I would have to either break the law by buying such a drug on the dark net or pay for private treatment.

Correct me if im wrong but lisdexamphetamine, (Elvanse) should be aviable in UK. Yes it is prescription aswell as ritalin. Doctors need to give methylphenidate as first threatment. They are advised to do so (Thats what mine said me).
The Following User Says Thank You to Vrantic For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (10-30-18)
Old 10-29-18, 12:36 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,083 Times in 15,343 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thanks for your reply.

But if I start taking 12.5-15mg three times a day, wonít I just become even more immune to its positive effects?

If tolerance to a certain dosage occurs after just a few weeks or months, how is medication going to be a feasible long-term form of treatment for ADHD?
I think people get really wound up about tolerance. Its almost as if the idea or thought of tolerance is more disturbing and causes more worry than actual tolerance. I think once you find your ideal dosage you will level off. I know I did. Once I found what works it has worked consistently. I only had to increase my dose after a surgery.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (10-30-18)
Old 10-29-18, 04:01 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrantic View Post
Correct me if im wrong but lisdexamphetamine, (Elvanse) should be aviable in UK. Yes it is prescription aswell as ritalin. Doctors need to give methylphenidate as first threatment. They are advised to do so (Thats what mine said me).
Youíre correct.

After about two months on Ritalin, I was put on 20mg of Elvanse for two weeks. Unfortunately it didnít seem to improve my concentration or executive functions.

Iíve got a medication review on the 13th, so I may enquire about going back on it. Otherwise, it will probably be either Strattera or nothing at all.
Old 10-29-18, 06:37 PM

payton299 is on a distinguished road

my therapist said this happens if someone doesn’t really have adhd or needs a different medication
Old 10-31-18, 05:10 AM

EMPTYSKULL is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thanks for your reply.

But if I start taking 12.5-15mg three times a day, won’t I just become even more immune to its positive effects?

yes, but it will occur more slowly as time goes on. Right now I'm on 40mg per each dose(3 times a day) for a long time and it seems like its very stable.But you will need to go up a bit every time and you are going to feel like you stopped progressing if you are aware of your self. Also not everyone has terrible tolerance buildup like I do, you can't really know at this stage.
I'm not telling how much to take, and I don't know what's the limit where you live and how far you are willing to go. I'm telling you that your dose is not effective anymore and what I do (and have done) in these situations is really a simple test - trying for a few days to up the dose and see what's going on. I didn't mind going up from 60mg a day to 120mg, as long as I had the possibility to get this amount from my doc, constant subscription, legal and everything done right.
The Following User Says Thank You to EMPTYSKULL For This Useful Post:
Barbrady1 (10-31-18)
Old 10-31-18, 07:00 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMPTYSKULL View Post
yes, but it will occur more slowly as time goes on. Right now I'm on 40mg per each dose(3 times a day) for a long time and it seems like its very stable.But you will need to go up a bit every time and you are going to feel like you stopped progressing if you are aware of your self. Also not everyone has terrible tolerance buildup like I do, you can't really know at this stage.
I'm not telling how much to take, and I don't know what's the limit where you live and how far you are willing to go. I'm telling you that your dose is not effective anymore and what I do (and have done) in these situations is really a simple test - trying for a few days to up the dose and see what's going on. I didn't mind going up from 60mg a day to 120mg, as long as I had the possibility to get this amount from my doc, constant subscription, legal and everything done right.
Unfortunately I have pretty much the same results on singular doses ranging from 5-20mg.

My mind becomes almost frozen, I struggle to formulate sentences, thus I end up isolating myself.

If I hadnít experienced the extreme benefits from taking it in the past, I wouldnít be so determined to remain on Ritalin.

I guess thereís a possibility that Iím metabolising the drug too slowly or quickly.

My alternatives are likely to be Elvanse, Concerta and Strattera. But Concerta wasnít as effective as the instant release formulation of methylphenidate, Elvanse made me feel like crap and Strattera takes weeks to take effect and seemingly isnít well regarded by many with the disorder.