ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Ritalin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ritalin (methylphenidate)

Old 09-16-18, 05:58 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,083 Times in 15,343 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why do i feel stoned on ritalin?

I dont know why this is but IME Ritalin and methylphenidate tends to make you feel this way more than amphetamines. Amphetamines carry there own risks for people prone to psychosis though. I know when I first started amphetamines I was heavily monitored due to my bipolar and previous history of rapid cycling.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
benito (09-16-18)
Old 09-16-18, 07:27 AM
ADDvanced Member

benito is on a distinguished road

I personally did not tolerate methylphenidate alone without the help of an antidepressant, however I was able to stay for a while with Vyvanse without the help of the antidepressant in the past (now I need it). When I took only methylphenidate I felt like it was commented in the forum, robotized, but with lexapro it improved a lot and I was able to reach a therapeutic dose of 81mg of concerta (I weighed 100kg at that time). I do not suggest that you take an antidepressant, but you do talk to your doctor and explain how you feel.
Old 09-16-18, 09:10 AM
ADDvanced Member

Barbrady1 is on a distinguished road

Hmmm. I’m beginning to wonder if I will rue discontinuing Citalopram. My counsellor was convinced it was the reason behind my emotions being blunted, though.

Last edited by Barbrady1; 09-16-18 at 09:33 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-18, 11:31 AM
ADDvanced Member

benito is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbrady1 View Post
Hmmm. I’m beginning to wonder if I will rue discontinuing Citalopram. My counsellor was convinced it was the reason behind my emotions being blunted, though.
Yes, escitalopram blunt emotions in some people (me, for example) but it is a good combo with methylphenidate (also for me). I find that effexor works more in synergy with stimulants and does not leave so blunt. However, each person is a different case.
Old 09-16-18, 01:52 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benito View Post
Yes, escitalopram blunt emotions in some people (me, for example) but it is a good combo with methylphenidate (also for me). I find that effexor works more in synergy with stimulants and does not leave so blunt. However, each person is a different case.
Whilst it’s probably best to take something alongside Ritalin to combat potential anxiety, I can’t really have an objective view on the effects of Ritalin when taken on its own just yet.

Right now, I’m struggling a lot with Citalopram withdrawal-induced brain fog, fatigue and anxiety, the latter of which is probably being exacerbated by Ritalin.

I’m guessing the withdrawal symptoms from Citalopram are going to leave me pretty messed up for the next few weeks/months.
The Following User Says Thank You to Barbrady1 For This Useful Post:
benito (09-16-18)
Old 09-16-18, 04:50 PM
ADDvanced Member

Incidentally, Berocca seems to have helped a lot with my brain fog and fatigue.
Old 09-16-18, 08:49 PM

mbadawy is on a distinguished road

Just a Random question. does amphetamines cause cross tolerance with ritalin? meaning if you were on adderall for a while then switch to ritalin will this cause you to start on a higher dosage in ritalin?
Old 10-25-18, 07:39 AM

EMPTYSKULL is on a distinguished road

It's very easy to analyze what you are feeling from my 6 years of experience, when the dose is a bit high or in the normal range, you will fill exactly the opposite - you will want to talk, chat, even with people that you normally wouldn't'. you can also say stuff that you would have never said off the Ritalin. That's on the first hour and a half, after that it's going to be exactly the opposite, you will feel like you want to be alone not even seeing or hearing people.
On a low dose you will feel the down side from the start almost.
Old 10-25-18, 07:42 AM

EMPTYSKULL is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbadawy View Post
Just a Random question. does amphetamines cause cross tolerance with ritalin? meaning if you were on adderall for a while then switch to ritalin will this cause you to start on a higher dosage in ritalin?
I tried the opposite switch (from Ritalin to adderall), didn't work as I expected, started with 20mg IR X2 and after a few days 30X2, and it didn't really work very well, the high dose I started with was because the Ritalin did effect tolerance.