ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Ritalin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ritalin (methylphenidate)

Old 09-13-18, 11:03 AM

mbadawy is on a distinguished road
Why do i feel stoned on ritalin?

I take 10mg x3 a day of Brand name Ritalin by Ciba Novartis. As soon as i take 1 10mg ritalin. I start to feel drawn away and i feel that im unable to talk. I would be talking on the phone when i take it and when it kicks in my friend can tell while hes talking to me on the phone that i just took a ritalin, as my voice starts becoming monotone and i feel like im emotionless. I feel like zombie. This feeling goes away when dose is wearing off. Like 3hrs after i take one i start feeling that Im reverting back to a normal person.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mbadawy For This Useful Post:
benito (09-13-18), peripatetic (09-13-18)
Old 09-13-18, 11:20 AM
ADDvanced Member

benito is on a distinguished road
Re: Why do i feel stoned on ritalin?

It is normal to feel more serious and robotized with methylphenidate. Are you more focused? Do you feel anxious?
The Following User Says Thank You to benito For This Useful Post:
mbadawy (09-13-18)
Old 09-13-18, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benito View Post
It is normal to feel more serious and robotized with methylphenidate. Are you more focused? Do you feel anxious?
Honestly i can't tell, but i don't think i feel more focused as i would zone out when talking to someone. I could actually keep staring at a wall for few minutes without paying attention what i'm doing.
The Following User Says Thank You to mbadawy For This Useful Post:
benito (09-13-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-18, 12:16 PM
ADDvanced Member

It seems that it is not working well. You should feel more focused and wanting to start and finish things. How is your life in general?
Old 09-13-18, 01:15 PM

Quote:
It seems that it is not working well. You should feel more focused and wanting to start and finish things. How is your life in general?
Well I'm a student. stressed of course from school. I would say my life is pretty normal i think.
benito (09-13-18)
Old 09-13-18, 01:22 PM
ADDvanced Member

Can you suggest to your doctor to switch to an amphetamine? in your country there is Elvanse (Vyvanse in USA). You can try to see how it goes. I'm doing much better with elvanse. Methylphenidate also left me something zombie and robotized, but it also improved my concentration. Make an appointment with your doctor. Good luck and greetings.
Don't forget to tell us if you're better with Elvanse.
mbadawy (09-13-18)
Old 09-13-18, 01:25 PM

Thanked 34,233 Times in 15,486 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

you're not titrating up slowly enough. can you try 5mg three times a day for a few days and see how that goes? when i took IR ritalin sometimes i'd forget how long ago i'd taken it. if i ended up overtaking thinking i hadn't when i had...i got exactly the effect you describe.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
benito (09-13-18), mbadawy (09-13-18)
Old 09-13-18, 01:32 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
you're not titrating up slowly enough. can you try 5mg three times a day for a few days and see how that goes? when i took IR ritalin sometimes i'd forget how long ago i'd taken it. if i ended up overtaking thinking i hadn't when i had...i got exactly the effect you describe.
yes, slow titration is important too. Thanks.
mbadawy (09-13-18)
Old 09-13-18, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Can you suggest to your doctor to switch to an amphetamine? in your country there is Elvanse (Vyvanse in USA). You can try to see how it goes. I'm doing much better with elvanse. Methylphenidate also left me something zombie and robotized, but it also improved my concentration. Make an appointment with your doctor. Good luck and greetings.
Don't forget to tell us if you're better with Elvanse.
Unfortunately only Methylphenidate is available (Ritalin IR and concerta). and i did tell my doctor that but seems he doesn't know much about these drugs like he told me he didn't hear that before about that stoned/zombified response.
Old 09-13-18, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Thanks. So I'm not the only who gets this feeling on it. I will drop back to 5mg x3 and i hope it works.
Also one more thing is it better to take Ritalin IR on empty stomach or with food.
peripatetic (09-13-18)
Old 09-13-18, 02:13 PM

peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbadawy View Post
Thanks. So I'm not the only who gets this feeling on it. I will drop back to 5mg x3 and i hope it works.
Also one more thing is it better to take Ritalin IR on empty stomach or with food.
my psychiatrist has me take everything first thing, followed with food. i think that's perhaps dependent upon how sensitive your stomach is, though. if you get an acidic stomach/gastrointestinal issues, then i would advise taking with food.
benito (09-13-18), mbadawy (09-13-18)
Old 09-14-18, 11:44 AM
ADDvanced Member

Barbrady1 is on a distinguished road

I won’t dismiss the benefits of methylphenidate for those with ADHD. However, I think it’s usually a sign the dose is too high when you begin to feel withdrawn, depersonalised and automatic.

I’m trying to persist with 5mg of IR Ritalin at the moment. Whilst my focus isn’t great, I don’t feel like a zombie and I’m hoping my concentration will improve once Citalopram has completely left my system.

Even though I personally prefer instant release formulations, Concerta is supposedly a smoother option for the majority with the disorder.

Incidentally, everything unfolds in slow motion and my sensory system quietens right down when methylphenidate does work. Unfortunately it’s been months now since I have had such results.

Hopefully you will find something that works on a consistent basis soon.
The Following User Says Thank You to Barbrady1 For This Useful Post:
mbadawy (09-15-18)
Old 09-15-18, 02:28 PM

Quote:
I did a 5mg yesterday honestly i couldn't stop yawning and i didnt feel focused or energized. i was kinda sleepy.
peripatetic (09-15-18)
Old 09-15-18, 04:34 PM
ADDvanced Member

Stay on 5mg one week and then increase to 10mg. Be patient.
mbadawy (09-16-18)
Old 09-15-18, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbadawy View Post
I did a 5mg yesterday honestly i couldn't stop yawning and i didnt feel focused or energized. i was kinda sleepy.
****ty. That could just be due to dosage change. I would press on but let your psychiatrist know you're struggling to see if s/he has recommendations.
benito (09-15-18), mbadawy (09-16-18)