ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-14, 06:47 PM

TheatreKid is a jewel in the roughTheatreKid is a jewel in the roughTheatreKid is a jewel in the rough
sugar intake, "boredom", and ADHD

I put "boredom" in quotes because the feeling I have right now is not exactly boredom, it's not anhedonia, I experience enjoyment, but I can't seem to keep my attention sustained on anything, so it feels like there's nothing to do.

I'm wondering if this is linked to sugar intake? Has anyone found ingesting too much sugar can cause this sort of symptom? I don't know if I'd call it a sugar rush or anything, I don't feel any more energized than usual. I don't feel wired. My attention span is just shot, moreso than normal.

This seems to happen to me in stages. Sometimes I am hyperfocused on something and I have no trouble filling my day. Then I hit a patch where I can't focus on anything, and I feel frustrated and "bored".

I seemed to be doing better this past week or two, and during this time I cut down on sugar, ate more fresh fruits and vegetables and fresh meat instead of packaged or frozen food. And then yesterday I experimented with a fudge recipe (basically you mix a melted bag of chocolate chips with a can of cake frosting and let it cool... not healthy at all) and of course I can't make myself stick to one piece a day, so for the past few days my sugar intake has been extremely high. I'm never making this recipe again. And now that I'm overdosing on sugar again, I can't hold my attention on anything.

I used to poohpooh dietary causes because I didn't want to admit I should change my diet, but it really seems that sugar makes it worse, something so basic that I should have realized it ages ago.

Transgender - male pronouns please.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheatreKid For This Useful Post:
peripatetic (07-12-14), phantasm (07-12-14), stef (07-12-14), Unmanagable (07-12-14)
Old 07-12-14, 02:02 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

PolaBear is a glorious beacon of lightPolaBear is a glorious beacon of lightPolaBear is a glorious beacon of lightPolaBear is a glorious beacon of lightPolaBear is a glorious beacon of lightPolaBear is a glorious beacon of light
Re: sugar intake, "boredom", and ADHD

This is something I'm looking into as well, changing how and what I eat. Have read things on here about the link between eating and this situation happening.
The Following User Says Thank You to PolaBear For This Useful Post:
Unmanagable (07-12-14)
Old 07-12-14, 02:42 PM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Thanked 17,793 Times in 8,904 Posts
Unmanagable has disabled reputation

Processed sugars and other foods wreak havoc on our minds and body. My overall health has benefited greatly from eliminating them as much as possible. The main thing that helps me remember what to buy when I shop is "Keep it real vs. choosing synthetic versions of food." Our bodies don't recognize or healthily process all of the food-like substances. They were made to operate on real nutrients, not the ones created in a lab.

"You torment yourself wondering how they could not love your burning heart. And the answer darling, you are not the star you thought you were. You are the f******g universe and not everybody is an astronaut." ~Unknown
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-14, 02:57 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 27,483 Times in 13,303 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

yes i noticed this in the states. particularly the " giant donut for breakfast/ microwave burrito for lunch" days.
also to avoid: " tombstone pizza and leftover birthday cake!"

i felt much better with cheerios for breakfast/ semi - healthy lunch with banana for dessert

we still have too many processed foods but I really eat much healthier at home..
The Following User Says Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
Unmanagable (07-12-14)
Old 07-12-14, 04:29 PM

Thanked 2,284 Times in 1,126 Posts
phantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant future

I am clear that when I eat a lot of sugar *ahem* a whole bag of sour patch kids *ahem*, that my mind goes numb. I know it's gonna happen, but I do it anyway. I go on and off the healthy wagon, and when I sugar binge my brain just slows down. Don't forget that high carb meal will do the same, because carbs like bread and pasta will turn straight into sugar. Same difference.

I would suggest eating a low glycemic meal - example (green veggies, lean meat like chicken breast or turkey or fish, with an apple) and see how you feel. Then eat a high glycemic meal like spaghetti or fast food and notice how you feel.

There are no limits to what you can accomplish when you are suppose to be doing something else.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to phantasm For This Useful Post:
stef (07-12-14), Unmanagable (07-12-14)
Old 07-12-14, 05:08 PM
Contributor

Crosswired is a jewel in the roughCrosswired is a jewel in the roughCrosswired is a jewel in the rough

I have switched to a sugar-free and caffeine-free diet pretty much. Besides a special occasion, I don't eat desserts and will only have a coffee if am on the road for a longer trip.
I don't like how I react when I am on meds and eat certain things. I have trouble sleeping as it is and if I don't eat healthy I find it harder to sleep well.

I am getting a tired of a bag of carrots as my snack, but I would plow through a bag of chips/crisps if given the chance haha. (In Canada, we have Ketchup chips. Too good, but full of sugar)
The Following User Says Thank You to Crosswired For This Useful Post:
Unmanagable (07-12-14)
Old 07-12-14, 05:26 PM

Thanked 27,483 Times in 13,303 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

I felt ok with brown rice sea salt Triscuit crackers...
The Following User Says Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
Unmanagable (07-12-14)
Old 07-12-14, 09:01 PM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

After eating mostly fresh foods all week, I broke all of my own rules tonight and had a cheese steak sub and fries. I'm feeling extremely bloated and can hardly stay awake, but I still feel somewhat hungry. When I eat whole foods, I get full faster with less food and don't get the uncomfortable bloated grogginess.

Edited to add: But damn, it tasted sooooooo good.

"You torment yourself wondering how they could not love your burning heart. And the answer darling, you are not the star you thought you were. You are the f******g universe and not everybody is an astronaut." ~Unknown
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unmanagable For This Useful Post:
phantasm (07-13-14), stef (07-13-14)
Old 07-12-14, 09:54 PM

TheatreKid is a jewel in the roughTheatreKid is a jewel in the roughTheatreKid is a jewel in the rough

I currently exist on a fixed income and often end up eating from food banks or at least very cheaply, so it's a lot of pasta, but recently I've tried adding fresh meat once in a while, and fresh carrots, bananas, and frozen cauliflower.

I did experience a difference, so I'm going to try going back to that when I can afford it again. I feel like the first half of every month is going to be healthy and then I'll be forced to return to pasta for the last half.

Unmanageable, sugar makes me super tired too. I've been trying to figure out why I feel so tired and the only change is the sugar. Though when I did switch to more vegetables, I was bloated for a few days. My doc said it was the extra fiber.

Transgender - male pronouns please.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheatreKid For This Useful Post:
Unmanagable (07-12-14)
Old 07-13-14, 12:55 PM

Thanked 2,284 Times in 1,126 Posts
phantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheatreKid View Post
I currently exist on a fixed income and often end up eating from food banks or at least very cheaply, so it's a lot of pasta, but recently I've tried adding fresh meat once in a while, and fresh carrots, bananas, and frozen cauliflower.

I did experience a difference, so I'm going to try going back to that when I can afford it again. I feel like the first half of every month is going to be healthy and then I'll be forced to return to pasta for the last half.

Unmanageable, sugar makes me super tired too. I've been trying to figure out why I feel so tired and the only change is the sugar. Though when I did switch to more vegetables, I was bloated for a few days. My doc said it was the extra fiber.
You can actually make yourself constipated if you eat too much fiber in one meal, or over the course of the day. Especially if you don't normally eat fruits and veggies in your regular daily diet.

A lot of times, people will try to diet and eat a ton of fruits and veggies, where they would normally eat sugar, starchy, fatty foods on a typical day. Moving from those kinds of habits to super fiber rich habits can block you up for a day or two.

A key is to slowly incorporate fruits and veggies to a meal. Like add berries to your oatmeal, or add an apple to your typical lunch, or some frozen veggies with your pizza at dinner. Instead of making a drastic change like drinking a fruit smoothing for breakfast, having a huge salad for lunch and a ton of mixed veggies and lean meat for dinner. <--- meals like that are super fantastic for people who are already eating a lot of high fiber meals. But if you don't eat much fiber fruits/veggies on a regular basis, a healthy meal will deter you because it could back up your digestion....BUT after a couple days, it will get better, much better.

Incorporate fruit and veggies slowly and you will feel so much better about your diet physically and emotionally), without feeling like your going without your indulgent foods.

There are no limits to what you can accomplish when you are suppose to be doing something else.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to phantasm For This Useful Post:
stef (07-13-14), Unmanagable (07-13-14)
Old 07-13-14, 01:02 PM

Thanked 34,233 Times in 15,486 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

i feel listless, sluggish, and like i'm mentally bloated, if i overdo it on sugar.

it's not a "carbs" thing generally for me, but if i drink a quantity of sweet drink or eat a bunch of candy, i'll spend hours (or until i sleep and try again the next day) in a fog of sluggish gross. it doesn't seem to have the energy component for me. it goes straight to just feeling like crap.

it definitely affects my attention for the worse. it gives me a kind of bloated apathy feeling. mindless unfocused and uninvested floundering about.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
phantasm (07-13-14), Unmanagable (07-13-14)
Old 07-13-14, 01:36 PM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Here's one of the resources I came across in my search for how to better explain the harmful effects of sugar. Hope it's helpful in some way to someone:

http://www.globalresearch.ca/sugar-k...weetly/5367250

Quote:
When we think of sugar, we often only think about the refined white sugar bought in paper packages or cubed for tea. If we’re worried about too much sugar, maybe we’ll check the nutritional information on the backs of processed sweets before we make a purchase. But really, sugar is often underestimated because of its incredible predominance in a lot of what we eat every day.

The American Heart Association (AHA) and the USDA share this broader definition of sugar and the amount of sugar we consume each day. In a AHA Statement to Healthcare Professionals, the group provided a broad definition of what constitutes “sugar”:

There are many, sometimes confusing, terms used in the literature. Simple carbohydrate (sugar) refers to mono- and disaccharides; complex carbohydrate refers to polysaccharides such as starch. Common disaccharides are sucrose (glucose+fructose), found in sugar cane, sugar beets, honey, and corn syrup; lactose (glucose+galactose), found in milk products; and maltose (glucose+glucose), from malt.

The most common naturally occurring monosaccharide is fructose (found in fruits and vegetables). The term dextrose is used to refer to glucose. Intrinsic or naturally occurring sugar refers to the sugar that is an integral constituent of whole fruit, vegetable, and milk products; extrinsic or added sugar refers to sucrose or other refined sugars in soft drinks and incorporated into food, fruit drinks, and other beverages.[14]