ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 05-08-11, 05:23 AM

usm6987 is on a distinguished road
Adderall changes my voice?

Hey guys,

I did a forum search and a google search and am having a hard time finding anything on this.

Has anyone ever felt that adderall alters the sound of your voice? It's so hard for me to explain, but sometimes I feel that my voice becomes different in many aspects - pitch, volume, strength. Let me try to explain.

Whenever i feel that my voice is in fact changed (and it has only felt like this when I am on adderall sometimes), it literally feels different in my throat when I am producing speech. It isn't just a self-conscious thing (it's that, too). However, I physically feel like my vocal cords work differently and that it's almost impossible to talk like I do the rest of the time. I think the best way I can describe it is maybe I sound more nasally, or maybe my voice seems a bit higher than normal. I'm not sure.

It sort of feels like there is a different quality of phlegm in there. Again, I know it sounds odd, but it feels like either the voice box (sorry I don't know scientific terms) is either too dry or too wet.

I haven't noticed any other specifics that may be causing this for me. For example, it happens whether it's on the phone, in person, in a presentation, in private conversation, in whispers, you name it.

Any information or "I-can-relate" stories very welcome and appreciated. Thanks =]
The Following User Says Thank You to usm6987 For This Useful Post:
br3akingchains (08-11-19)
Old 05-08-11, 05:28 AM
ADDvanced Member

puddlediver will become famous soon enough
Re: Adderall changes my voice?

yes, the same thing happens to me. my voice tends to take on a lower pitch.
Old 05-08-11, 05:34 AM

usm6987 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the response!

Does this voice change bother you? It botheres me a lot if I have to give a presentation or speak with classmates/professors about things.

Have you noticed ways to make it less of a problem or to deal with it?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-11, 05:42 AM
ADDvanced Member

puddlediver will become famous soon enough

yes i am very self-concious about it. when it happens i try to avoid talking as much as i can.

i don't know if other people notice, though.
Old 05-08-11, 11:03 AM

Downix will become famous soon enough

Mine drops slightly in pitch as well. Which in my case is fine, I sound like Teddy Roosevelt otherwise.
Old 05-08-11, 11:28 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

tambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of light

Certain stimulants do this. I used to have a friend who did coke (never liked the stuff myself) I could always tell when he was on it regardless of his behavior because his voice would sound airy and hollow and kinda quiet. Vyvanse did this to me when I first started on it but it went away. Try not to worry too much about it or it will get worse. Anxiety is an interesting thing. It will definately exacerbate symptoms.

Last edited by tambourine-man; 05-08-11 at 11:29 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 05-08-11, 12:38 PM
ADDvanced Member

theburr has a spectacular aura abouttheburr has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambourine-man View Post
I could always tell when he was on it regardless of his behavior because his voice would sound airy and hollow and kinda quiet.
That's odd, I have the opposite effect. When I take Adderall, my voice becomes fuller, which I can especially tell when I am signing. I think that might be from my reduced anxiety, though.
Old 05-08-11, 01:06 PM

Thanked 2,410 Times in 1,334 Posts
TheChemicals has disabled reputation

I have seen some crazy stuff about adaption and coping mechanisms. The voice of someone who is filled with anxiety can change once that is gone. The wildest thing i have seen was an article about depression and the physical effects overtime, of slouching. Its like the body is just bending downward to give up. I saw a kid on tv show "hoarder" who had been depressed for years without any treatment or help and at like 24 he had developed a very bad hunchback.
Old 05-08-11, 01:32 PM

tambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of light

Yea, amphetamine is a bronchiodialter (spelling?) and was originally used as an inhaler under the brand name Benzedrine. I think, after initial anxiety, the combination of this effect and confidence would make your voice fuller.
Old 05-08-11, 02:30 PM
Contributor

PickMeUpRoadie is a splendid one to beholdPickMeUpRoadie is a splendid one to beholdPickMeUpRoadie is a splendid one to beholdPickMeUpRoadie is a splendid one to beholdPickMeUpRoadie is a splendid one to beholdPickMeUpRoadie is a splendid one to beholdPickMeUpRoadie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Yea, amphetamine is a bronchiodialter (spelling?) and was originally used as an inhaler under the brand name Benzedrine. I think, after initial anxiety, the combination of this effect and confidence would make your voice fuller.
Almost right... benzedrine was a racemic mixture of D and L amphetamine (half and half), Adderall is about 3:1 - D:L

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data.”

“I never remember feeling tired by work, though idleness exhausts me completely”

"If we are going to be damned, let us be damned for what we really are." - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

"The saxophones...are not expected...to behave like demented cats... "
Ralph Vaughan Williams, notes to his Symphony No.9 in E minor

Old 05-08-11, 02:40 PM

Amphetamine IS a 1:1 racemic mixture. Dextroamphetamine is just the right-handed isomer. Adderall is half d-amp and half plain amp (1:1), which gives it a 3:1 ratio. Benzedrine is no longer available but it was true amphetamine with a 1:1 ratio of d-amp and l-amp. I've actually tried it (don't ask me how) and did NOT find it pleasent.
Old 05-08-11, 03:07 PM
Contributor

PickMeUpRoadie is a splendid one to beholdPickMeUpRoadie is a splendid one to beholdPickMeUpRoadie is a splendid one to beholdPickMeUpRoadie is a splendid one to beholdPickMeUpRoadie is a splendid one to beholdPickMeUpRoadie is a splendid one to beholdPickMeUpRoadie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by usm6987 View Post
Hey guys,

I did a forum search and a google search and am having a hard time finding anything on this.

Has anyone ever felt that adderall alters the sound of your voice? It's so hard for me to explain, but sometimes I feel that my voice becomes different in many aspects - pitch, volume, strength. Let me try to explain.

Whenever i feel that my voice is in fact changed (and it has only felt like this when I am on adderall sometimes), it literally feels different in my throat when I am producing speech. It isn't just a self-conscious thing (it's that, too). However, I physically feel like my vocal cords work differently and that it's almost impossible to talk like I do the rest of the time. I think the best way I can describe it is maybe I sound more nasally, or maybe my voice seems a bit higher than normal. I'm not sure.

It sort of feels like there is a different quality of phlegm in there. Again, I know it sounds odd, but it feels like either the voice box (sorry I don't know scientific terms) is either too dry or too wet.

I haven't noticed any other specifics that may be causing this for me. For example, it happens whether it's on the phone, in person, in a presentation, in private conversation, in whispers, you name it.

Any information or "I-can-relate" stories very welcome and appreciated. Thanks =]
You are reinforcing my theory regarding my own voice changes. I had a range down to F2 on a good day during most of high school, but about 6 months to a year after I quit taking my Adderall (teenage rebellion), my voice was lucky to reach a B2. I lost half an octave of my low range.

I did gain some ground in my higher register up to about a G4 if it were a good day. That said, I would have preferred to keep my low end.

There are ways to lower your voice without meds or anything. It involves relaxing your muscles to the point where that same amount of air is able to pass through. I believe it is the Alexander Technique or something. Never tried it.

The only time I can reliably have a significantly lower voice is for about 5 hours after yelling or otherwise traumatizing my throat and vocal chords. I am able to produce a D2, although it isn't all that pretty.

To answer some of your first questions:

Pitch: Long term use during childhood and adolescence resulted in a strong bass voice. Discontinuation of medication resulted in an upward shift of my vocal range.

Volume: I don't notice any changes in normal conversation, because I am loud all the time. However, when in a heated argument or other high-stress situation involving spirited yelling, my voice sometimes falls through on itself and not much of anything comes out.

“I never remember feeling tired by work, though idleness exhausts me completely”

"If we are going to be damned, let us be damned for what we really are." - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Old 05-08-11, 06:02 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Amphetamine IS a 1:1 racemic mixture. Dextroamphetamine is just the right-handed isomer. Adderall is half d-amp and half plain amp (1:1), which gives it a 3:1 ratio. Benzedrine is no longer available but it was true amphetamine with a 1:1 ratio of d-amp and l-amp. I've actually tried it (don't ask me how) and did NOT find it pleasent.
The fact that it had an equal proportion of levo-amp to the dextro-amp probably gave you a much larger "body load" than Adderall. If I recall correctly, the levo-amp has a higher preference for sympathetic nervous system norepinephrine than dextro-amp (more CNS dopaminergic), which probably kept you wide awake, fidgeting, anxious, and borderline tachycardic.

Old 05-08-11, 06:07 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Yeah... sorry about that post. I saw amphetamine and instantly replaced it with Adderall in my mind.

Trust me... I do really know this, I swear! I guess there is no better place to do it, though. A forum full of people with ADHD/ADD

Old 12-01-11, 03:21 PM

infectionx24 is on a distinguished road

thats really weird. i take vyvanse qd and adderall ir prn and it makes my voice is somewhat higher pitched and hoarsey--i hate it when this happens, especially when im talking to the ladies. when i dont take my meds, my voice is fuller and deeper. does anyone know how to get around this?