ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Exercise and Nutrition > Nutrition
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-13, 02:28 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,302 Times in 3,471 Posts
silivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond repute
Not just liking sugar... NEEDING sugar?

So, I'm currently not on any ADHD meds... just the other stuff in my signature. I remember before that Zoloft severely sedated me, which at the time was why I began taking a Ritalin booster when I was on Concerta... it helped the sedating effect... but now since I'm on nothing....

The only thing is sugar is the ONLY thing that helps keep me awake. Literally. I mean, I love sugar, always have, but now it's a matter of being a zombie-narcoleptic vs being awake and functioning. I slept for 4 hours yesterday after work and was only feeling mildly tired at the time... today I have to work a double, so rather than a nap, I ate ice cream... and I feel much more awake already.

Like I said, I like sugar, but this goes way beyond that.

Any ideas what this may signify? Other than just enjoying sugar?

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to silivrentoliel For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (03-06-13), Raye (03-15-13), Sandy4957 (03-06-13)
Old 03-06-13, 02:30 PM

Thanked 6,242 Times in 3,065 Posts
ana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Not just liking sugar... NEEDING sugar?

Focus on complex carbs instead of simple carbs. Complex carbs like brown rice have sugar too, but they are a slower burning fuel. You are trapped in a simple carb cycle- simple carbs = energy now, crash later.

First you have to detox- it will take a while for your body to learn how to feel as energized from complex carbs and protein as it does from simple carbs. That won't happen until you cut simple carbs out of your diet.

Does caffeine help you at all?
The Following User Says Thank You to ana futura For This Useful Post:
starry (03-15-13)
Old 03-06-13, 02:36 PM

ana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond repute

Are you familiar with the glycemic index?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-glycemic_diet
starry (03-15-13)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-13, 02:48 PM

silivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond repute

no, caffeine doesn't do much... and I suck at proper eating. My meds take away my appetite, so then I try to eat at least proteins.

And the glycemic index stuff confuses me... I've looked at it before. I'll take another gander though.

I just realized the sugar craving is back... I guess it was there before, I just never noticed it before. Now I do... and this can't be good.

I know ADHD and addiction are common together, and mine is to sugar... I guess I never realized the extent to which I needed it before.

The Following User Says Thank You to silivrentoliel For This Useful Post:
Sandy4957 (03-06-13)
Old 03-06-13, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silivrentoliel View Post
no, caffeine doesn't do much... and I suck at proper eating. My meds take away my appetite, so then I try to eat at least proteins.

And the glycemic index stuff confuses me... I've looked at it before. I'll take another gander though.

I just realized the sugar craving is back... I guess it was there before, I just never noticed it before. Now I do... and this can't be good.

I know ADHD and addiction are common together, and mine is to sugar... I guess I never realized the extent to which I needed it before.
I wouldn't link ADHD to your sugar addiction- that might make it harder to fight in your mind.

Almost all of America is addicted to simple carbs, you aren't alone. The cycle is hard to break.

The thing to understand about the Glycemic index is it's not a traditional weight loss diet- it's a ranking of the quality of carbohydrate fuels.

The better the fuel, the less likely you are to have these big swings in your energy levels. A better fuel is smoother burning and longer lasting. We need fuel for energy, and sugar is fuel- it's just that some fuels are better than others.

As a general rule you should be avoiding simple, processed carbs- like soda, or white flour. Whole grains like brown rice are complex carbs, and are slower burning.

Take a look at the GI charts- the lower the GI number, the better the fuel.

Also educate yourself about simple vs complex carbohydrates.

Exercise will help as well.
Old 03-06-13, 02:59 PM

Also stay far away from "low fat" foods, like reduced fat ice cream. Fat is good energy- and low fat foods often boost their flavor with added sugars. If a food is naturally low in fat, that's fine, you just want to avoid the processed "low fat" brownies and things like that- where fat is being taken out and replaced with sugar.

I think the best thing is to go cold turkey with sugar. Once you break the cycle of addiction, you won't need it anymore. It really is like detoxing from a drug.
BellaVita (03-06-13)
Old 03-06-13, 03:00 PM
Contributor

TagEHeuer is a jewel in the roughTagEHeuer is a jewel in the roughTagEHeuer is a jewel in the rough

I'm a sugar addict, nothing to do with ADHD. Running lately to try and treat myself and stay fit
Old 03-06-13, 03:06 PM

I don't eat reduced fat anything... don't eat white flour too much, never drink soda, but I don't like brown rice

I don't know I blame my diet on ADHD, but the extent of what I've gone through for just plain old sugar is not a simple person's desire for simple carbohydrates... It's a bit silly honestly, the lengths I once went through.

I'm doing research on the low glycemic index diet right now... maybe this is the "cure" for my complete and total lack of energy that I constantly endure.

Old 03-06-13, 03:19 PM

Have you gotten checked out for hyper/hypo glycemia or diabetes? You could have an underlying health issue. You sound hypoglycemic to me.

Quote:
The acute administration of stimulants such as amphetamine typically produces hyperglycemia; chronic use, however, produces hypoglycemia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperglycemia
BellaVita (03-06-13)
Old 03-06-13, 03:25 PM

nope... no one ever really takes me seriously.

Old 03-06-13, 03:31 PM

I would start following a hypoglycemic friendly diet and see if that helps. You might be borderline. A hypoglycemic diet is similar to a low GI diet- but some things that are okay on a low GI diet are not okay on a hypoglycemic diet.

http://hypoglycemia.org/hypoglycemia-diet

http://hypoglycemia.org/quiz
BellaVita (03-06-13)
Old 03-06-13, 03:38 PM

lol holy crap... look at my results
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen shot 2013-03-06 at 1.37.28 PM.png (22.9 KB, 10 views)

Old 03-06-13, 03:41 PM

I figured you would do well . Finding a doctor who is knowledgeable about hypoglycemia is difficult. I would do some research, check out some forums, and try to find a good doc in your area.

Quote:
If you are like most sufferers of hypoglycemia, you have at this point seen at least two or three doctors and all of them tell you that nothing is wrong with you, that you are in perfect health. You feel like telling your doctor, "If I am so healthy, why do I feel so bad?" The basic problem is that the medical establishment does not recognize all of the manifestations of hypoglycemia. The generally accepted definition is that your blood glucose level has to drop below 50 mg per 100 ml in order for you to be deemed to have hypoglycemia. I was once told by an endocrinologist that I did not have hypoglycemia. He told me that he saw a lot of people like me, and that they did not have hypoglycemia either. I asked him that if so many people had similar symptoms, didn't that show that there was something there that needed to be investigated. That was about the point that he quit listening to me.
http://www.fred.net/slowup/hypotret.html

http://www.blisstree.com/2007/02/02/...-hypoglycemia/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ana futura For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (03-06-13), silivrentoliel (03-06-13), zaleladra (03-06-13)
Old 03-06-13, 03:46 PM

zaleladra is just really nicezaleladra is just really nicezaleladra is just really nicezaleladra is just really nice

I noticed that when I ate anything wheat-based I was very lethargic and couldn't quite function properly. I was also drinking more and more caffeine every day to get the same focus boost (not energy, but focus) and eating more and more sugar to get any energy. It was a destructive cycle just to eat bread and pasta.

I gave it all up cold turkey. Silly, cause for two weeks I was miserable and headache-y and felt like I was going to lose my job because I was making mistakes left and right (I am also currently unmedicated for my ADHD). But after those two weeks, I was doing wonderfully.

Until I was holding so strictly to the diet that when I didn't have the RIGHT foods (quickly and easily), I wasn't eating at all. That was bad for me as well. Recently I've tried making adjustments that some here have suggested and it has helped.

But the low glycemic diet is a good adjustment to make. You may want to start trying to take note of what kinds of foods you eat and how they make you feel (more than just sugar)

What I did when I was craving simple sugars like crazy was substitute that candy bar for an apple (or whatever fruit you prefer). It's a bit better for you and can get you on the right track.

Now that I seem to have a lot more energy, I have taken to caffeine (specifically coffee) again, but my limit is one shot of espresso a day. If I get more coffee, it had to be decaf. And I sip it over time instead of all at once. It seems to help my focus a bit (and steady my energy levels cause there are some simple sugars in my coffee as well but the slow intake helps).
Old 03-06-13, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ana futura View Post
I figured you would do well .
Quote:
If you are like most sufferers of hypoglycemia, you have at this point seen at least two or three doctors and all of them tell you that nothing is wrong with you, that you are in perfect health. You feel like telling your doctor, "If I am so healthy, why do I feel so bad?" The basic problem is that the medical establishment does not recognize all of the manifestations of hypoglycemia. The generally accepted definition is that your blood glucose level has to drop below 50 mg per 100 ml in order for you to be deemed to have hypoglycemia. I was once told by an endocrinologist that I did not have hypoglycemia. He told me that he saw a lot of people like me, and that they did not have hypoglycemia either. I asked him that if so many people had similar symptoms, didn't that show that there was something there that needed to be investigated. That was about the point that he quit listening to me.
Sounds so much like what I've heard over and over and over... Thank you so much, Ana.

The Following User Says Thank You to silivrentoliel For This Useful Post:
ana futura (03-06-13)