ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Ritalin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ritalin (methylphenidate)

Old 03-30-19, 06:25 PM

gbruer is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Ritalin LA Side-Effects

Iím a 19 year old female who just started ritalin LA. I had been taking 20mg twice a day of the ďregularĒ ritalin, but thought this might be better and my psychiatrist thought it would be good to try out. Note: I have taken my 20mg regular release pills without food for years. However, when I took the ritalin LA for the first time yesterday (on an empty stomach) I threw up not even an hour later. At first I thought I was sick with a virus thatís been going ariund my campus, but I havenít thrown up since and itís been over 24 hours. Is it possible that my ritalin LA made me throw up? Or is it more likely that Iím sick and it was just a coincidence? Any help is appreciated!
The Following User Says Thank You to gbruer For This Useful Post:
namazu (03-30-19)
Old 03-30-19, 07:34 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 21,389 Times in 10,789 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ritalin LA Side-Effects

Either explanation -- that it was the Ritalin LA, or that it was a stomach bug / something you ate -- seems plausible. Is the dose of Ritalin LA comparable to what you were taking in the instant release form? (I don't remember off-hand how the coversion works, but could look it up...)

If your stomach's feeling settled tomorrow, maybe you could try taking it with food. If it's fine, you could try taking it with less (or no) food to see if you still tolerate it.

If so, you can assume you just had whatever was going around and not worry about it.

If not, then you'll know that the med -- at least, at this dose, or taken without food -- isn't good for you and call your doctor.

Sorry there's not an easy way to tell without trying it again!

I wish you luck in finding something that works well for you without side effects (and worst comes to worst, you could go back to the instant release that you were able to tolerate fine).

Last edited by namazu; 03-30-19 at 07:49 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
gbruer (03-30-19)
Old 03-31-19, 01:41 PM

chelona is on a distinguished road

Difficult to find out....
Maybe you can take the Ritalin LA with a little breakfast in the morning? I do so for years and have no problems with my stomach. My experience is that it also works better when I have food regularly, in the morning and also lunch. Then it lasts until afternoon.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chelona For This Useful Post:
gbruer (03-31-19), namazu (03-31-19)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-19, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbruer View Post
Iím a 19 year old female who just started ritalin LA. I had been taking 20mg twice a day of the ďregularĒ ritalin, but thought this might be better and my psychiatrist thought it would be good to try out. Note: I have taken my 20mg regular release pills without food for years. However, when I took the ritalin LA for the first time yesterday (on an empty stomach) I threw up not even an hour later. At first I thought I was sick with a virus thatís been going ariund my campus, but I havenít thrown up since and itís been over 24 hours. Is it possible that my ritalin LA made me throw up? Or is it more likely that Iím sick and it was just a coincidence? Any help is appreciated!
Ate a bowl of rice and a little bit of peanut butter (separately, lol) before taking it today. Will see what happens!!
namazu (03-31-19)
Old 03-31-19, 05:00 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Fingers crossed for you! Let us know how it goes.
The Following User Says Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
gbruer (04-04-19)
Old 04-04-19, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namazu View Post
Fingers crossed for you! Let us know how it goes.
I haven't gotten sick since that one time, but it seems that the nausea is a persisting side effect I think I'm going to go back to the instant release ASAP
namazu (04-04-19)
Old 04-04-19, 03:07 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbruer View Post
I haven't gotten sick since that one time, but it seems that the nausea is a persisting side effect I think I'm going to go back to the instant release ASAP
Bummer!
Glad you at least have something that you know works to go back to.