ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Ritalin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ritalin (methylphenidate)

Old 11-14-18, 06:42 AM

PI_Squared is on a distinguished road
Ritalin works great, I'm wondering if its worth trying Dex though.

Hello,

I'm 33 and was diagnosed with ADD this year.

I started on Ritalin several months ago and I have finally found what I think is my optimal dosing regime.

20mg when I wake up, followed by 10mg every 2 hours, with the final dose ~ 4 hours before I plan to sleep.

I have found that the consistent re-dosing is required to keep me at a steady level of focus, If I let too much time elapse between doses I quickly get scattered and then depressed, often forgetting why I am depressed and losing many hours of the day trying to remember that the only thing that will make me normal again is to take the Ritalin.

I have also been on Escitalopram and Mirtazapine for 2 years prior to this, for depression. These medications help mostly in the sleep department, but I don't think they did much for my underlying depression overall.

All in all things are going well now. I can get through a full 16 hour day, with work and other life tasks, without falling apart from the overwhelming stress that day to day requirements used to cause me.

That being said. I am just curious if there is any value in asking my psychiatrist to let me try Dexamphetamine for a while, to see if perhaps has an even better impact on my life.

On the one hand, I feel more functional than ever and I am hesitant to make any changes If things are going well.

However now that I have some kind of benchmark for "depressed useless brain fog me" and "Ritalin, gets things done me", I'm a little intrigued about the possibility of a "Dex, actually joyful human being me".

Not sure If it even works that way. I don't have any side effects from Ritalin, it just seems to make me capable of functioning at a level that I have never really experienced.

Should I be happy for what I have achieved here? Or is it still worth investigating other medications to see if there is more potential to be tapped into?

Interested to hear other's perspectives.
Old 11-14-18, 09:28 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 30,751 Times in 14,141 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ritalin works great, I'm wondering if its worth trying Dex though.

Don't mess with a winning combination. How well the meds work is so difficult to assess as it depends on so many factors. I think unless you've got a serious and tangible issue (that you could use as a yardstick to assess the efficacy of the meds) don't stop something that works well for you as it's not guaranteed that it will work equally well again when you restart it.

I take dex by the way and I also need to re dose fairly frequently so that I don't crash between doses.
Old 11-14-18, 10:35 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,082 Times in 15,343 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PI_Squared View Post

All in all things are going well now. I can get through a full 16 hour day, with work and other life tasks, without falling apart from the overwhelming stress that day to day requirements used to cause me.
This is a very important assessment that I really want you to think about. There are many people on medication that do not get 16 hours or have as much success as you are having. I am not trying to guilt you into being grateful but its just a point worth giving a second thought to.

Quote:
That being said. I am just curious if there is any value in asking my psychiatrist to let me try Dexamphetamine for a while, to see if perhaps has an even better impact on my life.
What would it take to have and even more functional day in your own words?

Quote:
However now that I have some kind of benchmark for "depressed useless brain fog me" and "Ritalin, gets things done me", I'm a little intrigued about the possibility of a "Dex, actually joyful human being me".
This is where it gets tricky because you are looking to feel something better or different than you feel on the ritalin. Some people use that as a gauge on how well meds work and that is not how you should assess their efficacy. Maybe you would become more focused or happy but how would that impact your life differently than you are already experiencing now?

Quote:
Should I be happy for what I have achieved here? Or is it still worth investigating other medications to see if there is more potential to be tapped into?
I am not one those jerks who tell you how lucky you are and you are an ungrateful jerk for wanting more. It could be worth looking into. But you need to check your motives. Is it because Ritalin isnt quite cutting it or is it because you want to feel even better than the ritalin makes you?

I carried a watermelon?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-18, 07:21 PM

Hey, thanks for your response. I honestly don't know what exactly I'm after, or what I should expect from this treatment.

I am very pleased with the massive increase in baseline functionality that I have found. I think the fact that the Ritalin took me from a 4/10 to a 7 or 8/10 more or less overnight, it just makes me wonder if there is an actual 10/10 version of me that is attainable.

Perhaps with time and a bit of personal development the 10/10 will grow from within. Based on what I have learned about the neurochemical factors behind ADD though, there is little more I can do that I'm not already doing to improve myself. By this I mean, eating well, keeping my mind and body active, engaging with the world in all the ways I know how.

Getting healthy increased my physical and emotional stamina from a 3/10 to a 4/10.. years on antidepressants only really improved my sleep, but did nothing for my sense of cognitive clarity/memory/capacity to enjoy small things in life.

Ritalin has been a big step up, and all I had to do was take a pill.

I feel that I can pass for a normal human being now, but there is still this element of "I can do life, but I could just as easily not do it" If I am looking for anything right now, I suppose it's a sense of reward and motivation, I can "do what I know" so to speak, but I still don't really care most of the time.

Not sure If this makes sense. I'm working this out in my head as I type.

I want to want to do things, not just do them because I know that I can. So It just makes me question if the differences in medications might be worth investigating, as that slight difference between Rit and Dex might be what my brain needs to achieve that coveted state where " I can do what I know and enjoy doing it ".

thanks for listening I'll discuss it with my psychiatrist soon.
Old 11-15-18, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
Don't mess with a winning combination. How well the meds work is so difficult to assess as it depends on so many factors. I think unless you've got a serious and tangible issue (that you could use as a yardstick to assess the efficacy of the meds) don't stop something that works well for you as it's not guaranteed that it will work equally well again when you restart it.

I take dex by the way and I also need to re dose fairly frequently so that I don't crash between doses.
Thanks, appreciate your feedback. I do feel hesitant to mess with it. I guess I'm just so astounded by the effect that MPH has had on me that I'm curious to see what the other medications could do for me.

I the only benchmark I have is a lifetime of wanting to do x y z and never being able to follow through, and almost never feeling happy about anything.

Now I can do x y and sometimes even z. I have a general sense of satisfaction about it, but I'm not entirely happy or driven or motivated to "be". I just do it a bit robotically.
Old 11-16-18, 09:45 AM
Mod-A-holic

sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Again.. its dangerous ground to want to "feel" a difference. Its not a good way to evaluate meds even if you are curious. You have to deal with symptom control. Even the best of us with near perfect meds never get to a 10/10. 10/10 is pretty unrealistic even for people without adhd. Ever seen that movie limitless? I hate that movie because it reminds me of people that think pills are magic and the right ones will make you superman. That is not what you are going for here. Ritalin seems to work with minimal side effects so I would stick with that and stop overthinking about the what-ifs.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
ishi450 (11-24-18)
Old 11-16-18, 10:22 AM

ShipwreckSiren is on a distinguished road

My doctor is doing genetic testing on me because I'm having side effects from Adderall and we don't know if my body isn't metablozing it well or what. But I thought maybe I could be sensitive to the levo-amphetamine in Adderall too and some people had recommended to me Dexedrine. I brought it up with my doctor and he said the problem with Dexedrine is that you get it all at once and it doesn't last even as long as the Adderall IR. Now, idk how true that is but maybe ask your doctor what he/she thinks about that? If that's the case and the duration of Ritalin is an issue than it may be an issue for Dexedrine as well and you might consider Vyvance instead?
Old 11-16-18, 10:26 AM

ShipwreckSiren is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Again.. its dangerous ground to want to "feel" a difference. Its not a good way to evaluate meds even if you are curious. You have to deal with symptom control. Even the best of us with near perfect meds never get to a 10/10. 10/10 is pretty unrealistic even for people without adhd. Ever seen that movie limitless? I hate that movie because it reminds me of people that think pills are magic and the right ones will make you superman. That is not what you are going for here. Ritalin seems to work with minimal side effects so I would stick with that and stop overthinking about the what-ifs.
This is so true. Being newly diagnosed I realized that I didn't really know what to expect from medication at first. It worked great with a bang and then slowly tapered off and I started to say "Oh, it's not working." Well, sometimes it isn't but even on medication I still shake my leg from time to time, I still have music in my head from time to time, I have trouble motivating from time to time. Unless you're some odd person, you are NEVER going to get excited to do laundry. Normal people even don't wake up and say "Boy oh boy, I can't wait to knock out that laundry today!" Medication doesn't do that either. You have to put in the work.
Old 11-16-18, 01:51 PM
Mod-A-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipwreckSiren View Post
My doctor is doing genetic testing on me because I'm having side effects from Adderall and we don't know if my body isn't metablozing it well or what. But I thought maybe I could be sensitive to the levo-amphetamine in Adderall too and some people had recommended to me Dexedrine. I brought it up with my doctor and he said the problem with Dexedrine is that you get it all at once and it doesn't last even as long as the Adderall IR. Now, idk how true that is but maybe ask your doctor what he/she thinks about that? If that's the case and the duration of Ritalin is an issue than it may be an issue for Dexedrine as well and you might consider Vyvance instead?
They have dexedrine spansules which is a long acting form of dexedrine.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 11-16-18, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post

I get what you are saying. I'll try be clear though, I'm not looking to be superman, when I say 10/10, what I mean is " a non depressed/add person on a regular day ".

I know lots of people who never had any mental illnesses and from what some of them have told me, my 8/10 would be about a 3/10 for them. So my 10/10 is probably still what they would consider to be a bad day, relative to their version of normal.

Again, I think I get what you are saying, but at the same time, is it so wrong of me to want to explore alt mds if there is still room for me to improve my quality of life?
Old 11-24-18, 04:26 AM

I just thought It worth updating this thread.

This week, after a chat with my psychiatrist, I made a switch to Dexamphetamine IR for a trial period. The Dex seemed to do little for my general focus and motivation, It just made me feel super chilled out and relaxed, euphoric even. This is at the lowest recommended starting dose of 5mg, 2x daily.

The euphoria lasted well into the night and into the following day, I stopped taking it after 2 days and gave myself a 48 hr break from all stims, until the feeling dissipated.

I went back to Ritalin today, strangely, the Ritalin now makes me feel warm and a little euphoric, which it never did before. I still feel the difference in attention and focus when it is in my system but the added relaxed warm feeling makes me a bit less inclined to fill my todo list with important tasks, I just want to relax and listen to music now.

I really don't understand how taking Dex has changed my body's response to Ritalin, overall I like this change though, assuming it persists.

Perhaps I will update this thread in a few weeks. I don't plan to try the Dex again for a month or so anyway as I cant afford to be getting stoned on that **** right now.