ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 06-03-14, 06:39 AM

VisibleKinda is on a distinguished road
Can't find any explanation for enhanced senses after stimulant use

I'm prescribed adderall for my ADHD which I am no longer taking. About a month and a half a go, I took my dose of adderall with nicotine chewing gum at the same time. From that instant, I began to feel anxious and sick, and while my vision is mostly normal, certain colours appear much brighter. And my senses are much stronger (smell, hearing -- I hear music much differently, as if I'd taken oxiracetam). After doing some research, I discovered that stimulants can trigger underlying schizophrenia, and sensory changes are also a sign of impending psychosis. Plus, the color thing happens to me only when I have tried hallucinogens, and last year a similar thing happened when I took citalopram (I began to hallucinate singing, which stopped when I was prescribed benzos). The day after, I had more nicotine, and I'm sure I heard the sound of breathing in the house (no-one was there). It lasted a few seconds and stopped.

So I am scared as hell. I've been in a state of hypervigilance for nearly two months. Note I have generalised anxiety disorder (I'm taking lyrica for this) which may be playing tricks with me, and I hope that what I'm experiencing is heightened anxiety from stimulant use (which has always happened when I take stimulants), and the reason that my senses are stronger is because I'm in fight or flight mode. But is this scientifically correct? I can't find any proof of this.
Old 06-03-14, 06:42 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 30,777 Times in 14,153 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can't find any explanation for enhanced senses after stimulant use

You need to speak to your prescribing doctor. It doesn't really matter if your theory is correct or not. What matters is that you have got a problem, you are scared and something needs to change. Call your doc asap!!
Old 06-03-14, 06:53 AM

VisibleKinda is on a distinguished road

I did, but my doctor says it's just anxiety, and to keep taking my lyrica. He says no, I haven't got schizophrenia. He also says it's impossible to experience psychosis from doses prescribed by the doctor. He wasn't really helpful.
The Following User Says Thank You to VisibleKinda For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (06-03-14)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-14, 06:59 AM

Thanked 30,777 Times in 14,153 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Could you get a second opinion?

Did he say that he expects this state to pass? It doesn't sound like a state that you should spend a lot of time in to be honest.
Old 06-04-14, 06:12 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,105 Times in 15,355 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

There is such a thing as stimulant psychosis but I have never heard of stimulants causing someone to develope schizophrenia.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 06-04-14, 07:15 PM

Thanked 1,550 Times in 932 Posts
Laserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to behold

I definitely hear better, as in I have a longer audio memory so I can "play back" something in my mind so I don't need it repeated, like when taking down a phone number or something.

She was told that it was. There was just a moment of silence before
the woman proceeded bravely on. "Well, I'm wondering, then, how serious my
condition is. This prescription is marked `NO REFILLS'".
Old 06-05-14, 04:07 AM
Contributor

HADDaball has disabled reputation

Hard to say. Lyrica/adderall/nicotine could be a bad combo. Being highly strung wouldn't help.
Old 04-18-19, 03:10 AM

Illbder907 is on a distinguished road

I have this when I take any stimulant my hearing and my smell are so heightened. It gets so bad sometimes I can hear through the walls and the cars driving by I can even hear the music from the cars (I live like 2,000 feet from a traffic light) it’s not just adderall , it’s vivanse and futility but the Ritalin was not as bad it drives me crazy sometimes I also find I’m more sensitive to dust?
Old 06-22-19, 08:13 PM
ADDvanced Member

Waitingame is a splendid one to beholdWaitingame is a splendid one to beholdWaitingame is a splendid one to beholdWaitingame is a splendid one to beholdWaitingame is a splendid one to beholdWaitingame is a splendid one to beholdWaitingame is a splendid one to behold

A migraine aura can feel much like your experience, too. I had a new, weird aura last week that freaked me out and caused me to spit out my n-gum, then go start pre-migraine treatment (held it off for a day).

Also, don't underestimate the nicotine gum. Depending on how much you chew and/or smoke, it can do some freaky things. It's a stimulant, too, and Adderall increases your metabolism of everything, so you get more benefit or side effect from the nicotine.

I have had too much nicotine in my system from chewing nicotine gum before. It was miserable, with cold sweat, anxiety, a seriously upset stomach, and a feeling of impending doom. I didn't have any visual disturbances, however.

Hope you can find a resolution to your experience that doesn't involve schizophrenia. That's a rough diagnosis to manage and ADHD will fill up your free time without having schizophrenia, too! :-)
The Following User Says Thank You to Waitingame For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (06-23-19)
Old 06-22-19, 08:15 PM
ADDvanced Member

Waitingame is a splendid one to beholdWaitingame is a splendid one to beholdWaitingame is a splendid one to beholdWaitingame is a splendid one to beholdWaitingame is a splendid one to beholdWaitingame is a splendid one to beholdWaitingame is a splendid one to behold

Also meant to say that before a migraine, I have bionic hearing, a bionic sense of smell, and insane levels of sensitivity to noise, light, and other perceptions.

My auras have also caused some freaky visual disturbances.

Maybe ask your doc to screen for migraine? You can have auras without migraine, too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Waitingame For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (06-23-19)
Old 06-23-19, 01:30 AM

unverified is a jewel in the roughunverified is a jewel in the roughunverified is a jewel in the rough

Sounds like the nicotine is the culprit
Old 06-26-19, 04:33 AM

Thanked 6,211 Times in 2,934 Posts
Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
There is such a thing as stimulant psychosis but I have never heard of stimulants causing someone to develope schizophrenia.

On big (abusive )doses.

Whenever you see a crowd all rushing in the same direction on any one issue, run in the opposite direction.

There is neither fun nor profit to be had in polishing the brass knobs on a bandwagon.
Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

Old 06-26-19, 04:38 AM

Thanked 6,211 Times in 2,934 Posts
Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute

Stronger sense of smell is quite common, and it can cause nausea.
Also I know many people have reported better vision on stimulants. I'm not sure as to the cause of that-- well at east not that I can explain in more than a million words!

Whenever you see a crowd all rushing in the same direction on any one issue, run in the opposite direction.

There is neither fun nor profit to be had in polishing the brass knobs on a bandwagon.
Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.