ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-17, 03:53 PM
ADDvanced Member

Barbrady1 is on a distinguished road
Is 'Brain Fog' synonymous with ADHD?

Before my diagnosis in August, I always felt as if I were living in some type of fog. Despite attending a grammar school, I never paid attention, lost interest in things easily and would often have a completely blank mind when faced with a writing task. My problems really began to escalate when I had to change schools for my A Levels as I lost all my friends, gained lots of weight and in the end left school with grades that were too poor to even get into a local university. Eventually, such a lacks of clarity of thought led to depressive episodes, suicide attempts, anxiety and diagnoses of Borderline Personality Disorder and Autism.

It was only on an instant release form of Ritalin that I found my brain fog clear. I could remain seated in my chair, maintain eye contact and genuinely be interested in what others had to share about their lives.

But alas, my psychiatrist now has me on Elvanse/Vynanse and my blank mind/brain fog has returned with seething vengeance. Now I resemble a brick wall if you try to speak to me; it's highly embarrassing.

I'm wondering if it's a common symptom of ADHD or whether there's something fundamentally wrong with my brain.
Old 11-26-17, 06:50 PM

CasioCurious will become famous soon enough
Re: Is 'Brain Fog' synonymous with ADHD?

It is hard to say; brain fog can be caused by a lot of things.

I've had brain fog for the last 8 years, and that's when I started getting depressed and put on ridiculous weight.
Old 12-04-17, 06:15 PM

heythere999 will become famous soon enough

When I'm not on meds I experience horrendous brain fog and I've been like this for as long as I can remember. I really couldn't tell how horrible it was (other than that something was wrong with me) until I regularly started taking adderall. Then all of a sudden I was like "wait wtf? My brain feels like it's pieced together for once. I'm aware of things for once. Wtf. This is weird"
The Following User Says Thank You to heythere999 For This Useful Post:
br3akingchains (12-15-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-17, 11:10 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 14,921 Times in 6,672 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbrady1 View Post
It was only on an instant release form of Ritalin that I found my brain fog clear. I could remain seated in my chair, maintain eye contact and genuinely be interested in what others had to share about their lives.

But alas, my psychiatrist now has me on Elvanse/Vynanse and my blank mind/brain fog has returned with seething vengeance. Now I resemble a brick wall if you try to speak to me; it's highly embarrassing.
No surprise, Vyvanse is, mg per mg, the weakest of the amphetamine-based ADHD meds.

A suitable dose of Dexedrine (dextroamphetamine/dexamfetamine) should clear that up right quick.

Of course, you could be one of those people who responds well to methylphenidate but not amphetamines...but I doubt that is the case.

But yeah, brain fog is part and parcel for many with ADHD. Goodness knows I have it, and Dexedrine nips it in the bud.

Cheers,
Ian