ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 10-26-11, 11:39 PM

user123 is on a distinguished road
Question Will my Profesor let me retake my 2nd exam after letting me retake the 1st one?Reason

Sorry for the long explanation and my grammar/English. I'm in hurry i have to get back to studying...

So i missed half of my class before taking my first exam and i talked to student accommodation at my university and got a letter from them to give to my professors (I had medical reasons) and i got extended time. Most of prof. agreed and I've been doing good but kinda hard to to study for my current exam and past exams/essays. Although my accounting professors was not going to let me because I already took the exam which understandable but the student accommodation people talked to her directly so she finally agreed. So this week i had exams/presentation back to back and i've been getting less than 3 hours of sleep past 3 days and today I barley slept cause I was studying for my 2nd accounting exam and the exam was at 10:00 am but since i had class i couldnt get the extended time so she told me i could take it whenever that day (at the accomidation building) but she said "i HAVE to take it the same day"! So today got like 2 hours of sleep after studying for it, woke up studied some more, went to my next class and i had 2 hours in between. I grabbed something to eat and started studying. I'm on two medication and I have been drinking coffee and energy drink to help me through stay up ( i know bad). I wasn't feeling so sleepy and a little dizzy. So when i had 1 hour left i asked the accommodation people if i could start at 4pm instead of 3pm and they said they close at 5:15 and i told them it was fine i would use just use 1 hours instead of 2 but they said no because i'm given that accommodation and they must allow me the full time. My plan was to take a nap before me exam but instead i went ahead and took another energy drink and one of my medication (taken as need for anxiety). I went to take my test and couldn't and i asked them to call my professor and see if i could take it with her since she at school late but she must have said no. I had to take. I was shaking and crying. I threw up and had to go to the bathroom. The lady came and asked me if i was okay but that was it. I had to finish my exam. I don't even remember one question. I know i could have done good. What am i supposed to do now? I'm embarrassed to even talk to my professor cause she has been helping me. She told me I could take the 1st exam whenever and my class took the 2nd exam today and she told me it had to be TODAY!!!

I know for sure if i took it again in the morning I could get a high A!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to user123 For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (10-26-11)
Old 10-26-11, 11:57 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 12,149 Times in 7,190 Posts
BR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will my Profesor let me retake my 2nd exam after letting me retake the 1st one?Re

Talk to your professor and explain what happened. It sounds like there was a miscommunication. You were told one thing but then had to do something different. Your professor might be able or be in a position to clear this matter up. I really don't know. I do know that if you don't talk to her, you won't know.

Also, if she's given you the wrong information, she needs to know so that she doesn't do it again with another student.

Don't be embarrassed, she told you that you could something and you weren't allowed to do it. There's nothing for you to be embarrassed about

"no talk
no, talk
Punctuation is important"
~Abi
The Following User Says Thank You to BR549 For This Useful Post:
user123 (10-27-11)
Old 10-27-11, 12:03 AM
Moderator of all seasons

Thanked 16,267 Times in 8,229 Posts
anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will my Profesor let me retake my 2nd exam after letting me retake the 1st one?Re

There is nothing wrong with you getting additional help and continuing to get help. It may feel awkward, but I think it's ok for you to ask to retake the second exam.

How is your attendance? How have you been on assignments?

Just remember..........you are paying them to give you an education. Granted, it's a system built by teachers and administrators. However, college students pay them. It's not like grade school. You are kind of like a boss.

I would go and talk to them about what happened. Tell them the truth.

I know what this is like. I hope for the best outcome for you.

~Paulo Coelho
The Following User Says Thank You to anonymouslyadd For This Useful Post:
user123 (10-27-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-11, 12:19 AM

The thing is i have been taking to her and she has been soooooo helpful, that one of the reasons i feel guilty. My attendance is good. All the days I've missed i had an excuse letter from my doctor and they was no misunderstanding with her its with the accom. people. They thought i wanted to take the exam at 4 so i have more time to study. I just hate giving her excuses and we don't have assignment. Just 3 exams and attendance for a grade.
anonymouslyadd (10-27-11)
Old 10-27-11, 12:23 AM

I actually love school but with all of this i'm starting to hate it!!!!
anonymouslyadd (10-27-11)
Old 10-27-11, 12:38 AM

I post the same question on yahoo answers and the answers i got were "You are too ill to do well in school. You cannot keep taking exams over" another one "Everyone else's schedule doesn't revolve around your illness and anxiety issues...[deal with it or drop it]" Usually people who don't know about this or have been through somewhat the same situation don't understand and I don't blame my professor if she thinks the same. It's not her fault and that is what it seems from the outside.
Old 10-27-11, 12:44 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 12,149 Times in 7,190 Posts
BR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond repute

All the more reason for you to talk to your professor. Seriously. Go talk to her. You've nothing to feel guilty about.

"no talk
no, talk
Punctuation is important"
~Abi
The Following User Says Thank You to BR549 For This Useful Post:
user123 (10-27-11)
Old 10-27-11, 04:08 AM
Contributor

Psychomaze is just really nicePsychomaze is just really nicePsychomaze is just really nicePsychomaze is just really nice

Have you been able to take the time to discuss about any alternatives that may be available? Were you able to talk to the instructor before the test was scheduled and come up with a plan? Finding ways to work WITH a teacher is so much better than arbitrarily dictating to them on what to do and to wave the accommodations letter as if it was the discrimination card when it is not necessary. Don't use it to bully them like that! First try all of your options before having no other choice but to talk to someone at the disabilities office. (but I think that in your case, pointing out the apparent misinformation and talking about what to do to correct that mix up will do well as one of those possible options)

Here are a few things that I need to point out:
  • Instructor's Point of View: Their availability to sit around and wait while someone has to take an the test long after the rest of the students left. They have other classes to instruct, papers to grade (which sometimes they may take with them to do that while waiting), and real life. Also, they may have no experience in how these accommodations work and have ask you how you were able to take care of this in the past.
  • Student's Point of View: I'm very sure that the last thing that you want is to sit around to take that test when you can use that time slot after class to do other stuff, like homework for other classes, sleep, a job, family obligations, etc. Also, making an extra trip to school when you should have the day off is never fun and it burns up gas.
  • School's Point of View: They are bound by the accreditation board and must have certain policies about taking tests. These rules are passed down to the various departments (like the science department) and the department head may add on a few additional rules. This is in turn is passed onto the instructors which binds them to what they can or cannot do.
Generic Example:
You got a test that's 45 minutes long, but you need the extra time to have 90 minutes to take the same test. Your class is scheduled (oh let's just say...) 5PM and as usual there's a lecture planed after the test.

Solution:
Make arrangements in advance to take the test before class that same day. This means keeping an open line of communication. The preferred way is to use the school email system due to policy reasons and to leave an electronic trail if something comes up and you need proof that can't be disputed.

Then arrive at to school at about 2:30PM or earlier and be ready to take the test at 3:00PM. That way, you can be finished by 4:30PM, have benefited from the extra accommodations, find a parking spot, and be able to walk from the testing center so that you can be in class on time. Also, that little bit of extra time should work well as a 'buffer' in case you are running late or if you need extra time to set up.

If you feel like you need more time to study, show up even earlier and get comfy with the test taking environment by paying a visit to the student success center or (attention span willing) the cafeteria. Then take the time to just glance over the book - don't bother reading it. By skimming through the brief footnotes in the margins, illustrations, chapter summary, and questions at the end to get a rough idea about what the questions may be. (It may be a good idea to set the alarm on your phone and put it on vibrate to remind you when you must stop what you are doing and go to take that test)

Let that sit at least in your short term memory and keep in mind that even though there are rules that go against being late to take a test in the testing center, there are no rules starting it before the appointed time.

Then, with whatever time you have left, reward yourself somehow. If you're broke, then visit the water fountain and take a bathroom break. Go to class anyway as if it was business as usual and find a spot to sit near the classroom door out in the hall and spend a few minutes to daydream and let your brain go blank for a short while.

Just don't advertise about taking the test already since that will set you up with being asked for the answers to certain questions. It will put you on the spot for allowing others to cheat by sharing your answers with them. You may as well show them your test with the answers written down if you do that.

When the instructor arrives, take the opportunity to talk to them either before class or during the test in low whispered tones. A simple hand gesture or glance can suffice to ask when it would be a good time to talk. Then provide feedback on how the accommodations worked out and if there is anything else planned that day. Chances are that there is also a class lecture planned and you need to stay. Otherwise, the instructor can tell you in person that it is okay to go home and call it a day.

The end result is that you were able to have twice the amount of time to take the test, work with the instructor, avoid breaking the rules or putting the instructor in a tough spot, be available for the next lesson, and keep things as simple as possible.

Trust me when I say that a difference of about 2 hours isn't going to kill you and it will prove that you are a hard and dedicated student. It sucks having to make an extra trip to school to take it when you should be off that day.

Note:
Once in a while things don't always go according to plan. In that case, work with the instructor about making alternative plans rather than making an arbitrary decision and dictate what you want the instructor to do. Instead, with them to formulate a plan B. This way they will be more than happy to fulfill their end of the bargain by standing by their decision in making an exception for you as long as you hold up your end as well.

Here's What Happened to Me Tonight:
I had to take a test earlier tonight for a very hard subject for me, Chemistry I, and I had been sweating bullets trying to make sure that I was prepared for the class. But at the last minute, there was a failure in communication when the school email system went down faster than a prom date getting paid by the hour. We recently learned that the rules for taking tests only allows for it to be taken in one sitting rather than breaking it up into groups, so taking part of it in class and then finishing it in the testing center was out of the question. This is meant to prevent cheating.

She said that she sent me an email to let me know that she had already sent my test to the testing center and wondered why I wasn't there to take it. It was because I never got the message since my school email wasn't working all day. It turned out that she has been having the same problem and was frustrated because of it. In any case, this became our proof that there was a break in communication and she could use it if she was questioned as to why she bent the testing rules like that. (from what I understand, it is still down)

At the moment, we had two obvious available which was that I either take the test in the morning, or I stay in class and take it with everyone else.

I considered both options: Taking the test in the morning isn't really a problem since I have class anyway, but I also asked questions about the test - what it would cover and what format it would be in. It turned out that she had to make some last minute changes like reducing the material from Ch 1-3 to just Ch 1 because she observed that she was moving too fast for the other stuff, it would be a multiple choice on a scan tron sheet format and that it will only be 10 questions. (she volunteered that last part of information)

Since this will be the first test for this class and I had been in the library studying since 11AM with a study group, I shrugged and suggested that maybe I should take it in class as an 'experiment' and see how it works out.

She accepted my suggestion and after the class lesson, I took the test with the rest of the class and only needed 5 extra minutes - I hate filling in the bubbles on that scan tron sheet, and I even discovered that I had answered 3 questions wrong when I double checked everything (did I mention that I hate those scan tron sheets? I answered them on the wrong line). Anyway, by the time that I was done, she just finished packing up her bag and get her keys to go home.

I think that I did well and it should act as a good example on how to improvise should something go wrong by considering the available options and working with the instructor while still benefiting from the special accommodations that had been granted by the disabilities office to 'level the playing field' and have the same chance to succeed like everyone else.

I was lucky that tonight was an easy choice, but remember that stuff like this is a gamble and you only have one shot to take the test. So consider your options carefully first.
By taking the time to read my messages in the form of replies or inquires, you accept it as is and agree to my disclaimer of all warranties, express or implied as well as consequential or incidental, that may arise from the sudden drop of sanity and intelligence quota in your brain.

... You have been warned.

Last edited by Psychomaze; 10-27-11 at 04:33 AM.. Reason: I'm tired, lots of grammar 'mis-tooks' ^^;
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Psychomaze For This Useful Post:
bananajunk (10-27-11), hellokate (11-01-11), user123 (10-27-11)
Old 10-27-11, 08:07 AM

Wonderer is on a distinguished road

I know this wasn't easy, but you should be very proud of yourself for your many accomplishments, and even more so at the seemingly insignificant victories over the adversities you have braved and overcome in a spectacular fashion. Noone can truely comprehend the deep down inner tormoil and torment of another's mind. The pain is not real to them because they cannot possibly feel another's emotions, but they have felt their own. Everyone has experienced personal unique pain on their voyage through life and it comes and goes as the swells they sail upon. You may now be in the middle of one of life's storms, but think of everything you triumphed over, the waves you've already climbed: speaking with student accommodations and your professors recounting your hardship, hours stacked upon hours of study with little to no sleep, even enduring physical and mental anguish yet still attempting to take that test.

To me, your conquest is awe-inspiring. I floundered for seven years, twelve semesters, at a community college to achieve what you just did. I, too, was embarrassed to speak with my professors. I suffer from ADHD and, for my entire life until recently, severe anxiety which caused me to miss a lot of classes and prohibited me from asking for help. I felt as if one of those storms cast me into an icy, tumultuous sea surrounded by sharks and I was too afraid to swim for the shore hidden by the waves. Eventually, the sharks began to vanish and I found the courage to swim, but the waves remained turbulent with no land in sight. I swam in circles for a while, struggling to keep my head above water until the ocean slowly subsided revealing the luscious, tropical island that is my goal, a college diploma. I have yet to set foot upon the island's warm, sandy beaches but I'm getting close. I overcame most of my fears along the way, learned to live with the anxiety, and have since earned fourty two credits. Forty two succulent pinapples adrift from the not-to-distant oasis of my dreams. Yum...

Moral of my cheesy drama: Don't sail in shark-infested water during a storm!

Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately, life isn't always that simple. We can't choose when we sail. We can only decide where we would like to go, set our bearing, and brave whatever mother nature throws our direction. You may be in the middle of that storm, but have no fear. You were smart enough to wear a life jacket! Seriously though, it will pass even if you don't... and you sound like you still have a sense of humor, for my sake I sure hope so, which will get you through a lot in life.

I doubt I need to suggest this, but keep in contact with your professor, the sooner the better. With as nice as she's been and if you are open and honest with her, she will most likely show compassion and allow you to retake the test. If for some reason she does not, don't loose hope. I have had teachers initially deny me leniency, then change their mind weeks later after witnessing my resolve, determination, and obvious struggle. Hell, last semester life became real again and I couldn't attend two of my classes for the last four or five weeks. I disappeared off the face of the ocean without even contacting the professors to explain my situation. I still recieved a "B" in both classes. Granted, I had an "A" in both classes, english and philosophy, when I stopped attending. I also had my english comp 2 teacher for two other classes in previous years (comp 1 both times); although, his motivation may have been to be rid of me for dealing with me for 3 semesters. I choose to believe that he knew I was a good student when I showed up and submitted assignments on time.

I wish you luck and hope you are ok. Oh, in case you were wondering, I'm not a sailor.

---->Captain Ahab
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wonderer For This Useful Post:
bananajunk (10-27-11), BR549 (10-28-11), user123 (10-27-11)
Old 10-28-11, 01:06 AM
Contributor

Psychomaze is just really nicePsychomaze is just really nicePsychomaze is just really nicePsychomaze is just really nice

@user123 - Yeah dude, you should be proud of yourself for getting this far. It took me almost 10 years to get at least an idea on how to get back and hopefully it won't take that long for you. (the whole story on what I went through is in my blog here)

As for the test, it may not be possible to retake it if the school is bound bound by certain rules (for example, think about the very strict rules they have against plagiarism). This is why I suggested that you may have better luck asking for an extra assignment to make up for those lost points. (don't bother with extra credit since it only offers a small amount and most departments have a limit on how many extra credit points they can hand out.)

Also, go and see your doctor to get a vitamin B12 shot. It will boost your energy and mental cogitation. It's about $25-$35 bucks (most insurances don't cover it). You may simply be so burned out that you're suffering from the same symptoms of chronic fatigue syndrome, even though you may not actually have it and it will go away on its own after a nice refreshing break. Get a doctor's note to explain why you were not fit to take the test on that day.

If you can get a copy of the letter from the disabilities office that requests for the special accommodations, then by all means do so. They are required to be presented and signed by the instructor so that they can be informed. Don't use this to demand anything, but use it to remind them that you do need additional help and also present that doctor's note to explain why you had difficulties to take the test on that specific day.

Keep it handy when asking your instructor about your options to have a fair chance to earn those points that the test is worth.

But what if you can't get that letter? If this is the case, then simply give them that Dr.'s note and tell them that you will register with the disabilities office. They *may* work with you for the time being, or you may have to wait until you can actually get one and talk to them about making those arrangements then. (if they help you while your registration is pending, be sure to thank them)

It may that can take up to two weeks for your registration to finish and you run the risk of the semester ending before everything is taken care of with them. If that happens, then you will be held responsible for the negative mark on your grade because you were not prepared before the semester started in the first place.

When you get that accommodations letter, ask for a signature as soon as possible.

... Please note that if you took took the test already, then don't bother asking about taking it again. You will have only one shot to take that test just like I have only one shot to take all of my tests ... they may interpret it as if you were simply not satisfied with your score and want to redo it (i.e. 'cheat' in someway) because you would know what those questions are and remember what you did wrong. So be prepared if they disagree with allowing you to take that test a second time. (ask about doing an extra assignment instead)

*sigh* I feel like that I'm blabbering like the village idiot who just got lobotomized so let me summarize; see you doctor for that B12 shot and get a note to explain why you were not able to do anything on that particular day, avoid whining about it or make pointless excuses, present a copy of the signed accommodations letter along with the doctor's note to explain what happened on that day when the test was taken, and then inquire if something can be done to make up the points lost because something went wrong and you need to ask for help...

Good Luck!
By taking the time to read my messages in the form of replies or inquires, you accept it as is and agree to my disclaimer of all warranties, express or implied as well as consequential or incidental, that may arise from the sudden drop of sanity and intelligence quota in your brain.

... You have been warned.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Psychomaze For This Useful Post:
BR549 (10-28-11), user123 (10-28-11)