ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 11-06-08, 11:50 PM

yekim is on a distinguished road
Vyvanse problems PLEASE read !

Hi all,

Just a little background on my situation, I've been taking Vyvanse 70mg for about a year now and it was the first medication I tryed in order to treat my ADD, the first week I was taking 30mg, the second week they bumped me up to 50mg, and my third week they bumped me up to 70mg.

It was a shakey start at first (Big puples, Couldn't really sit still, lose of sleep), but as the months went on the effects of the medicine really changed my life for the best, my self-confidence was sky high, I was social and it seemed as though my depression had subsided.

Anyways, I soon began to get headaches everyday while taking Vyvanse and also getting constant joint pains.

I informed my doctor and he recommended I switch to Concerta 50mg if I'm not mistaken.. BIG mistake, I took it for 3 days and I ended up going though some of the worst depression of my life, it sucked =/.

I switched back to Vyvanse days later and life seemed to change, it felt like I lost all sense of my self-esteem, my social anxiety came back, and I started getting random spills of depression.

I'm a senior in HS now and it seems like my life is getting worse and worse.. I know I have an amazing life and I couldn't really ask for much else out of my family, but for some reason I can't stop thinking I suck.. When i'm in class I just sit there, weather i'm taking a test or writting notes, I feel as though people are looking at me and judging/laughing.. I realize no one has any reason to do this, but it's what's going on in my mind.

To the main reason of this thread now, I no longer really feel anything when I take Vyvanse, It seems to make my drowsy now when I take it in the morning, I no longer feel a "rush" kind of feeling, and it doesn't seem to be helping me focus.. expecially with reading, I used to absolutly love to read things last year, but now if I see ANYTHING with a decently big paragraph my eyes kind of just wonder off the page and i'll stop reading.

So what do you guys think? Should I try and get switched to a different medicine or should I just stop all together?

Sorry for the long story guys, anyone who reads this is awesome and I'll really appriciate your help.

thanks alot all.

(Sorry if anything runs on or is mispelled, it's late -.-)
Old 11-07-08, 11:54 AM
ADDvanced Member

E4rolls will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Vyvanse problems PLEASE read !

I just posted in the Dexedrine forum that I was having the same problems with Vyvanse 50mg, not really helping me at all. I would not get the positive effects for more than an hour and the next day I wouldnt feel any change at all. Try eating a bunch of Tums or some other antacids 30 mins to 1 hour before taking that morning dose and it should help you absorb more of the medication. I guess your stomach acids destroy most of the Dexamphetamine when you are too acidic.
I just tried it this morning and it is almost like I took Adderall or something. So far I am very pleased.
Good luck.

Supplements: 1000mg Omega-3, multivitamin

Diagnosed: ADHD combined, Bipolar I with mania and psychotic features, SAD (Social Phobia)

"Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional."-Anonymous
Old 11-07-08, 02:50 PM
ADDvanced Member

jmchamp has a spectacular aura aboutjmchamp has a spectacular aura about
Re: Vyvanse problems PLEASE read !

Tums or other agents to higher pH (lower acidity) in the stomach won't affect Vyvanse effects at all because it is not in the d-amphetamine form in your stomach, it is still lysdexamfetamine. While d-amphetamine is destroyed by acids, the lysdexamfetamine is not. It is separated into l-lysine and d-amphetamine enzymatically in the liver.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-08, 05:22 PM
Contributor

demo3210 is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know why you were pushed into 70mg on the third week.

The goal is to have the lowest possible effective dose because the higher the dose = the more side effects you will have.

Concerta is not amphetamine, but methylphenidate so it is going to be inherently weaker than amphetamine (by about -4x). Methylphenidate only blocks the reuptake of dopamine while amphetamine does the former while also commanding your brain to excrete more dopamine and norephinephrin and in high doses, serotonin, which I think is why you were becoming highly social and confident was because of the serotonin which is typically NOT GOOD.

If your medication is producing euphoria (ie: confidence, happiness, ecstacy, extreme focus/clarity, etc) than something is wrong. This can lead to brain damage through mental disorders such as depression, bipolarism, schizophrenia, and paranoia (although the damage is often recoverable after abstaining from medication for a prolonged period of time).

If Vyvanse was working before he upped your dose so high, try to go back to it but at 30mg and see how that does you for awhile and maybe go up to 50 if it's not cutting it.

If Vyvanse was not working for you and causing bad side effects, then perhaps you should try dexedrine as it is the same thing, just missing the L-lysine amino acid which causes vyvanse to need to be metabolized before becoming reactive. Some people prefer dexedrine over vyvanse, but it all depends on your body's own chemistry.

Adderall is typically weaker than dexedrine/vyvanse as adderall is amphetamine while vyvanse/dexedrine are dextroamphetamine. Adderall may work better for your as it is weaker and perhaps more mild in effects. However, some people say that dexedrine/vyvanse is smoother than adderall, but once again it all depends on your own personal body chemistry.

Also, are you taking weekends off? Please take as much holidays as you can if you have not been and see if that helps. Your body is going to adapt to the medicine and render the medication less effective. if you are becoming consistently sleep deprived that will also wreak havoc on your body and mind as well. Try a multivitamin and fish oil and see if that helps assuming you aren't on any other conflicting medication or allergic to fish. If you still can't sleep at night try supplementing with low doses of either 5-HTP (increases serotonin) or Melatonin (naturally produced during night time to make you sleepy but bright lights reduce melatonin production by 50%)

Once again, beware of your doctor prescribing large amounts of medicine. The aim is the lowest possible effective dosage. Tollerence = bad

I am NOT a doctor.
Old 11-09-08, 07:02 PM
Contributor

ADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by demo3210 View Post
I don't know why you were pushed into 70mg on the third week.

The goal is to have the lowest possible effective dose because the higher the dose = the more side effects you will have.

If your medication is producing euphoria (ie: confidence, happiness, ecstacy, extreme focus/clarity, etc) than something is wrong. This can lead to brain damage through mental disorders such as depression, bipolarism, schizophrenia, and paranoia (although the damage is often recoverable after abstaining from medication for a prolonged period of time).

I am NOT a doctor.
Demo3210,
Are you implying that 70 mg. is a high dose that would lead to brain damage? 70 mg. of Vyvanse is equivalent to 30 mg. of Adderall. Personally, I take 140 mg. of Vyvanse and I have no problems. And I have never abused drugs, I don't drink and I don't smoke. I've read a lot on ADHD, medications and I have frequent conversations with my sister, who is a pharmacist, and our doctor who is extremely knowledgeable regarding medications and all of the research studies relating to treatment of ADHD. I also haven't run across any mention of seritonin being affected, only neuroephinephrine and dopamine. Even in reading a psychopharmalogical text on medications, including stimulants and their use in ADHD, and the abuse of stimulants and illegal drugs such as meth and cocaine, the problem lies in the excess dopamine in the nucleus accumbens rather than the prefrontal cortex.

I also think that it is best to consult a doctor who is knowledgeable regarding ADHD and medications and other psychological comorbidities. Most of the individuals at this site are not medical professionals and although the information we gain can be helpful we have to keep the source of the information in perspective.

The bigger problem is with high doses of the short acting meds not the longer acting amphetamine types such as Adderall and Vyvanse.

Obviously, anytime you are having problems or inappropriate reactions to medications, your doctor should be notified. You can also talk to your pharmacist about some of your concerns on how the medication is affecting you.
Old 11-09-08, 08:48 PM
Contributor

ADDMagnet.

No, I am not directly implying that 70mg of Vyvanse can cause brain damage. Could 70mg of Vyvanse be causing brain damage in certain individuals? Yes.

It all depends on the biochemistry of the individual. If someone is taking only 30mg of Vyvanse and when they take it they feel euphoric from it consistently, then yes I am saying that can lead to brain damage in the sense that your dopamine, serotonin, and norepinephrin receptors are going to recede and be less receptive to your body's default amounts of those neurotransmitters while also potentially decreasing the amount of these neurotransmitters in your brain. If your medication is producing euphoria, something is wrong with this picture.

70mg may be insignificant to you due to your biochemistry, weight, age, and tolerance while to someone else it could be extreme. I don't see the science in increasing someone's dosage 20mg per week until they are at the max dosage. That sounds absurd unless the effects that those doses were having on him were unnoticeable. But judging by the OP's post, it sounds like he was given too much towards the end of his Vyvanse cycle.

As for the serotonin:
http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/conten.../205/4412/1295

http://jpet.aspetjournals.org/cgi/co...t.106.101618v1

http://www.jneurosci.org/cgi/reprint/19/22/9780.pdf

http://www.aapsj.org/view.asp?art=aapsj0901001
Old 11-09-08, 09:58 PM
Contributor

I also just want to add to the OP; you should definitely talk to your doctor about everything you are feeling and if you can't remember it all, bring in a piece of paper with you the next time you go.

Stimulants are powerful drugs.
Old 11-13-08, 12:37 AM

yekim is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone who has been kind enough to post here for me.. I really do take it to heart.

I'll go ahead and tell my doctor what's going on, maybe he'll understand.
I'm not familiar with anti-depressants or anything of that matter.. is there anything I could steer clear of with these?
Old 11-14-08, 12:00 PM

ssl419 will become famous soon enough

yekim, stay clear of Effexor if possible (for anxiety and depression)...the side effects are pretty bad and when you stop taking it (tapering off), you will feel like total crap for a long time....
Old 11-14-08, 12:18 PM

flytwenty5 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by yekim View Post
Hi all,

Just a little background on my situation, I've been taking Vyvanse 70mg for about a year now and it was the first medication I tryed in order to treat my ADD, the first week I was taking 30mg, the second week they bumped me up to 50mg, and my third week they bumped me up to 70mg.

It was a shakey start at first (Big puples, Couldn't really sit still, lose of sleep), but as the months went on the effects of the medicine really changed my life for the best, my self-confidence was sky high, I was social and it seemed as though my depression had subsided.

Anyways, I soon began to get headaches everyday while taking Vyvanse and also getting constant joint pains.

I informed my doctor and he recommended I switch to Concerta 50mg if I'm not mistaken.. BIG mistake, I took it for 3 days and I ended up going though some of the worst depression of my life, it sucked =/.

I switched back to Vyvanse days later and life seemed to change, it felt like I lost all sense of my self-esteem, my social anxiety came back, and I started getting random spills of depression.

I'm a senior in HS now and it seems like my life is getting worse and worse.. I know I have an amazing life and I couldn't really ask for much else out of my family, but for some reason I can't stop thinking I suck.. When i'm in class I just sit there, weather i'm taking a test or writting notes, I feel as though people are looking at me and judging/laughing.. I realize no one has any reason to do this, but it's what's going on in my mind.

To the main reason of this thread now, I no longer really feel anything when I take Vyvanse, It seems to make my drowsy now when I take it in the morning, I no longer feel a "rush" kind of feeling, and it doesn't seem to be helping me focus.. expecially with reading, I used to absolutly love to read things last year, but now if I see ANYTHING with a decently big paragraph my eyes kind of just wonder off the page and i'll stop reading.

So what do you guys think? Should I try and get switched to a different medicine or should I just stop all together?

Sorry for the long story guys, anyone who reads this is awesome and I'll really appriciate your help.

thanks alot all.

(Sorry if anything runs on or is mispelled, it's late -.-)
Interesting, I've had very similar reactions... I went 30 to 50 to 70 as well, but not over three weeks. It was more like three months.

It worked great at first, and the side effects were not outweighing the benefits.

However, how the effectiveness of the Vyvanse has definitely diminished. I find I am getting consistent with more frequent headaches, slow-reacting peripheral vision, unusual taste in my mouth, lightheadedness, and dizziness.

Not sure what I'm going to do yet, but it sucks right now. I also don't know if any of those above symptoms are reactions or are being caused by something else... you're story just sounds like a blueprint of mine though, so it makes me wonder.

--

-flytwenty5
Old 11-14-08, 12:21 PM

Living2bwell is on a distinguished road

This is a rollercoaster for me, but right now, I trying to evaluate with my dr. which works better for me, right now, I trying Vyanase 40mg, but this does not last all day for me, I have to take another dose @ 5pm to get through the rest of the day.

While I evaluating the Vyanase, I was just recently taking Concerta 54mg, but found that this also did not last all day, and would need to take another dose @ 5pm to get through the day.

As for antidepressents, I taking 150mg of Xoloft, and I have very very good experience with Xoloft - we recently just up'd my Xoloft from 100 to 150mg.

Right now, I am a rollercoaster, but because I feel like everyone is judging me for who I am, how can anyone kick someone when they are down?

I don't know, but I forgot why I was contributing here.

;O) Cheers to being well!! Good luck --

Does anyone recommend Vyanase over Concerta? I cannot tell which one should be better for me, they seem about the same..
Old 11-14-08, 12:24 PM

Living2bwell is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytwenty5 View Post
Interesting, I've had very similar reactions... I went 30 to 50 to 70 as well, but not over three weeks. It was more like three months.

It worked great at first, and the side effects were not outweighing the benefits.

However, how the effectiveness of the Vyvanse has definitely diminished. I find I am getting consistent with more frequent headaches, slow-reacting peripheral vision, unusual taste in my mouth, lightheadedness, and dizziness.

Not sure what I'm going to do yet, but it sucks right now. I also don't know if any of those above symptoms are reactions or are being caused by something else... you're story just sounds like a blueprint of mine though, so it makes me wonder.
Hi -- so weird, but anytime I get dizzy, I feel like it is because the dosage is too much at once.

You should maybe try and split your dosage, I not a doctor,but this is what I do -- I take 40mg of Vayanse in the AM and another one at 5pm, truly, I have no issues sleeping doing this.
Old 11-16-08, 09:40 PM

flytwenty5 is on a distinguished road

I bet you are right about my dosage being too high Live2B. It was really weird too as I started getting all these side effects not even realizing it was due to the medication. This weekend as sucked bad too having to cut back. Here is what my history with Vyvanse has been over 5 months:

6-1 to 6-15, 30mg Vyvanse (AM)

- worked for first few days, then seemed to wear off

6-15 to 9-15, 60mg Vyvanse (AM)
- crash early evening; not able to finish my night out

9-15 to 10-15, 70mg Vyvanse (AM), 10mg Adderall (PM)
- Up-ed Vyvanse, but I'm not really sure why other than that it is easier to get in that strength-- finding 60mg took me to five different pharmacies; Adderall was for the evening crash, but I didn't really like the general feeling (also lowered my consistency in bed, but highered the hell out of my libido; seriously unreal)

10-15 to 11-15, 70mg Vyvanse (AM), 30mg Vyvanse (PM)
- too much for my body to handle of the same drug; side effects worsened by the end of last week & I ended up stopping this dose as of this past Friday; Saturday I took only 30mg AM & 30mg PM. Today, I've only taken 30mg PM (I tried to take nothing today, but I couldn't do it; unbelievable tiring withdrawal to handle at once physically & mentally).

From here I think I will try and lower altogether. Maybe 40 or 50mg during the day, then 10-20mg in the evening. I will be interested in seeing how many of these horrible side effects brought on by the "higher" dose continue to affect me, if at all. I'm also noticing exactly the affect the drug has on me this weekend by dramatically lowering my dose. A bit scary, but something I am going to ponder.

--

-flytwenty5
Old 11-21-08, 07:37 PM
Jr Member

Elff is on a distinguished road

Stay away from Lithium! Very bad interaction!
The Following User Says Thank You to Elff For This Useful Post:
Akatty (01-31-16)
Old 11-21-08, 08:01 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Howard_C is a name known to allHoward_C is a name known to allHoward_C is a name known to allHoward_C is a name known to allHoward_C is a name known to allHoward_C is a name known to all

Editorial point -

Quote:
Concerta is not amphetamine, but methylphenidate so it is going to be inherently weaker than amphetamine (by about -4x).
As you say later, they act a bit differently, but "weaker" isn't really the right word.

Quote:
Adderall is typically weaker than dexedrine/vyvanse as adderal is amphetamine while vyvanse/dexedrine are dextroamphetamine.
Again, "weaker" is not the right term.

Quote:
Once again, beware of your doctor prescribing large amounts of medicine. The aim is the lowest possible effective dosage
Good point.