ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Bipolar > AD/HD and Bipolar in Adults
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-07, 10:15 AM

Sky81 is on a distinguished road
So I have a pdoc appointment tomorrow..

And I really have no idea what to say to her....I only have 15 minutes with her....

I may be in a funk again. The last time I mentioned to her that I didn't feel manic anymore but I was still having problems with my attention span and I was messing up at work alot.....and I was supposed to have quit my weekend job....which everyone thought was a good idea (except myself)...apparently working seven days a week isn't "normal"....but it's necessecary for me......

I really don't know what is wrong.....if I don't feel empty and numb, I'm irratible, restless and agitated....I'm still throwing things around and breaking stuff, and I'm treating my boyfriend like **** for no reason.....

I want to sleep a lot simply because sleeping feels better than being awake right now, but I can't manage to sleep more then eight or nine hours a night. If I really was in a funk, I'd be going to bed right after I get home from work....and struggling to get out of bed the next morning......I'd be asleep for 13 or 14 hours.....

Maybe this is just how medicated life is.....I don't really know how to describe it....I'm just kinda listless......I feel like I'm on the verge of slipping into a funk, but something is keeping me from it.......

Maybe it's nothing to even complain about................
Old 09-10-07, 10:23 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

justhope is a jewel in the roughjusthope is a jewel in the roughjusthope is a jewel in the rough
Hi Sky....finally the day is here.

Perhaps you could print out some of the posts from here? That might help.
Did you get a chance to journal anything?

Funk = Depression = grouchy, forked tongue, breaking innocent nick-nacks= your give a crap is broken.

I hope it goes well. I know it's hard to come up wiht all the words to describe how much your life has sucked lately...which is why keeping a journal is very important, but not a easy task...for BP's or ADD'er or ummm both?

Please let us know how it goes,

Best wishes....

Hope

Mother Is The Name for God in the Lips & Hearts of Little Children
Old 09-10-07, 10:34 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Spongedaddy has a spectacular aura aboutSpongedaddy has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky81
And I really have no idea what to say to her....I only have 15 minutes with her....

I may be in a funk again. The last time I mentioned to her that I didn't feel manic anymore but I was still having problems with my attention span and I was messing up at work alot.....and I was supposed to have quit my weekend job....which everyone thought was a good idea (except myself)...apparently working seven days a week isn't "normal"....but it's necessecary for me......

I really don't know what is wrong.....if I don't feel empty and numb, I'm irratible, restless and agitated....I'm still throwing things around and breaking stuff, and I'm treating my boyfriend like **** for no reason.....

I want to sleep a lot simply because sleeping feels better than being awake right now, but I can't manage to sleep more then eight or nine hours a night. If I really was in a funk, I'd be going to bed right after I get home from work....and struggling to get out of bed the next morning......I'd be asleep for 13 or 14 hours.....

Maybe this is just how medicated life is.....I don't really know how to describe it....I'm just kinda listless......I feel like I'm on the verge of slipping into a funk, but something is keeping me from it.......

Maybe it's nothing to even complain about................
I think everything you said here would be fine to repeat. This disease/condition I don't know what the hell to call it any longer, it seems to change, so even though you think you would be sleeping for 14 hours if you were in a funk , the definition of funk may have changed. I would be upfront and telling the PDoc everything that's bothering you that you mentioned here.

I hope all goes well.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-07, 01:22 PM
Contributor

jennyjay has a spectacular aura aboutjennyjay has a spectacular aura about
that whole idea of the 15 minute "medication management" appointment is such crap!!!! I never have had a 15 minute appt. with my pdoc, it is always 30 - 60 minutes. What meds are you on? I have a appt on friday with my pdoc and am not sure what will happen. I have tried many meds, but I have been thinking, have I really givin any of them a chance. No. I have not. Now, I am at the end of the list wondering what to do. I have been going to bed after work and having trouble getting up the next morning myself. Are you BP I of BP II?
Old 09-10-07, 01:49 PM

Really I've only tried one med so far....I take 300mg of Seroquel (reduced from 600mg). I was taking Neurontin too, but my neurologist is a moron and I've left the guy a bunch of voicemails, and messages with the nurses at his office because he was supposed to give me another prescription for a higher dose, but I think he forgot that I exist....so no more Neurontin for me....good news though...I haven't had a seizure so far and it's been almost a week.....

My pdoc thinks I'm BP I, because I sometimes have mixed states, and I've excperienced full blown manic states before.....not just hypomania......
Old 09-10-07, 02:25 PM
Contributor

jennyjay has a spectacular aura aboutjennyjay has a spectacular aura about
I love the seroquel, but only for sleeping. 100 mg knocks me out! I have taken Neurontin, very short period of time for pain, I hated it, it made me feel retarded (hence the nickname "morontin"). I have been on Wellbutrin, Lexapro, Celexa, Prozac, Effexor ER, Lamictal, Geodon, Klonopin, Xanax, Adderall and Adderall XR, Seroquel, and dexadrine.

Currently I take Adderall and Xanax. I am thinking about trying the regular effexor (because i don't have insurance so there is a generic). I know for sure that SSRI's do not work for me. My dx is BPII and ADD. I also want to try Xanax XR. I would not be suprized of they gave you lamictal next.
Old 09-10-07, 03:38 PM

No lamictal for me....you know that rash thing, the potentially deadly one....I already had that twice, once from bactrim and another time from doxycyclin.....having the lining of your sinuses fall out through your nose isn't fun....and I don't want my oral mucosa falling apart again....since I've had Steven's Johnson's Syndrome twice, I really don't want to find out how bad it gets the next time.......

I tried Lexapro once, and it took about ten days to send me to the moon....

I know what will happen if I take an SSRI.....they do work....but a little too well if you know what I mean......

And about treating the ADD thing....I'm not ready for that right now.....giving me a stimulant could make me a very energetic and focused depressed person, and that is the most dangerous state to be in.....
Old 09-10-07, 04:04 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

justhope is a jewel in the roughjusthope is a jewel in the roughjusthope is a jewel in the rough
You are right Sky...they ususally don't touch the ADD thing until you are balanced out on BP meds....

I have only had the rare occasion to notice/ or have a mixed episode ....and it was not fun....not one bit....

I hope they find something ....there are so many things out there...hope you don't have to many reactions....and find a good fit the first time.
Lamictal sounds like good one to bypass....for you...

Hope

Mother Is The Name for God in the Lips & Hearts of Little Children
Old 09-10-07, 10:28 PM

Crazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the rough
Once again, I am late to the party...you must be so relieved! I will be thinking of you and hoping all goes well.

Too bad its just a 15 minute med-management appt. but hey, its better than nothing! I had those for the longest time, and it was rough, but I managed to get things squared away in the end. Hopefully, that will happen for you too!
Old 09-11-07, 10:09 AM

Well I'm not going to be feeling better for a while it looks like.....

All I got was my Seroquel bumped up to 600mg again (300mg at night and 300mg in the morning, instead of all at night).....so if I wasn't sleeping 14 hours a day before I will be now......

I don't even know how I'll be able to drive, let alone work........

I am really beginning to think this medication thing isn't for me.....
Old 09-11-07, 10:17 AM

Crazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the rough
Excuse me...what?! That's all?! That is a lot of sedation and has this doctor ever heard of a thing called a "mood stabilizer" by any chance? OMG....

Heck I'd worry about driving too! That's not an unreasonable concern at all.

I am sure you are disappointed, maybe disgusted, maybe more...I know I would be. Any chance you can find another doc? I don't sense that you have a very good relationship with this one.

OMG...I am so annoyed now...you waited so long for this!! Ugh! I wanna smack your doctor!
Old 09-11-07, 10:25 AM

I can't imagine taking 300mg during the day...she says Seroquel is also used to treat bipolar depression, well at least I'll be able to sleep through being depressed, but isn't that what I did before I was on medication???
Old 09-11-07, 10:39 AM

Well that's what you told us you did, sleep. Its useful for depression?? I am finding conflicting information on that with a fast Google search. Some claim depressive and manic, others claim acute mania only. Its an atypical AP...huh! I always thought of those as sedating medications, myself.

This is what Wiki says, but Wiki is not a definitive source:

The most common side effect of Seroquel is sedation. It is prescribed specifically (off-label) for this effect in patients with sleep disorders. Beginning users may feel extremely tired and 'out of it' for the first few days, sometimes longer. Seroquel's newest indication, for bipolar depression, usually specifically calls for the entire dose to be taken before bedtime due to its sedative effects. Although quetiapine is approved by the FDA for the treatment of schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, it is frequently prescribed for off-label purposes, including insomnia and the treatment of anxiety disorders.

Sounds mighty sedating to me!

Old 09-11-07, 11:08 AM

Her reason for increasing it was that I was taking 600mg and reduced it to 300mg, and then I got depressed....but I was still manic when my dose was upped to 600mg, and I started having some really crazy side effects at that high of a dose and once I wasn't manic anymore, so she said it was okay to reduce it........

I guess I'll have to pull myself out of this one on my own......
Old 09-11-07, 11:18 AM

Girl, seriously, is there another doctor you can see? I mean 15 minute med checks are SOP only after the doc knows the patient fairly well, in my experience anyway. It does not sound like Seroquel is getting the job done anyway...did you tell her that?