ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Bipolar > AD/HD and Bipolar in Adults
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-05, 03:32 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

netsavy006 is a jewel in the roughnetsavy006 is a jewel in the roughnetsavy006 is a jewel in the rough
Question Could This Be Bipolar?

I get very moody very easily. I can go from calm one minute to irritable the next. Could that be bipolar or some other underlying condition.
Old 10-20-05, 06:56 PM

scuro has disabled reputation
Low frustration level....moodiness...heck that could be a lot of things including ADHD.
Old 10-20-05, 08:53 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

UnleashTheHound will become famous soon enough
I'm pretty sure that bipolar is characterized by dramatic/extreme mood swings, not "calm to irritable". More like "elated to despair".
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-05, 09:45 PM
Jr Member

geekgurl is on a distinguished road
I'm a beeper so may I can clarify what Hound said which is a pretty good description. I'm BP1 rapid cycling, mixed, complete with hallucinations and phycosis (everyone is out to get me, cops, co-workers, family) - can't get much worse on the bp spectrum. The swings don't necessarily take weeks, months, years for some of us like most people think, some of us go through cycles within a single day. As mentioned though it is more like elated to despair instead of calm to irritable. I can literally be laughing and being obnoxiously loudmouthed and annoying to crying and thinking of 10 ways to die the next. BPII isn't quite as extreme but there is still an intensified cycling of moods unlike "normal" mood swings. All of this is leveled out to some degree with medication but the swings are still there and now there are more like the "calm to irritable" spectrum.

The difference is in the intensity and the things that we do when we are manic or depressed. We have triggers that can cause the swings but in general they just happen, no warning, no trigger I just wake up (that is when I sleep) and the world is either out to get me, it just plain sucks so bad I want out of it or I'm a flippin genius that can solve world hunger with my awesome painting skills (even though I can't draw 2 straight lines let alone anything I could sell).

Anyway, best thing to do is to talk to a dr about your concerns. There are a lot of medical condition that could cause the problems you are having. Don't try to add another condition on yourself, this is one you surely don't want - it really sucks.

gg
Old 10-21-05, 07:22 AM

netsavy006 is a jewel in the roughnetsavy006 is a jewel in the roughnetsavy006 is a jewel in the rough
Unhappy Clarifying my statments.

Sometimes I do feel different moods throughout the day. In the morning sometimes, I am very energetic, feel on top of the world. By nighttime, I feel depressed. I don't know what it is, and I can't get help from my doc or my mom or brother. Please help...
Old 10-21-05, 12:51 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Does it have something to do with the darkness, or the decreasing amount of daylight this time of year?

There's something called Seasonal Affective Disorder
http://mentalhealth.about.com/cs/dep...a/seasonal.htm

Looking at the symptoms, I might be affected.
Old 10-21-05, 12:57 PM
Contributor

Sc@tterBr@in_UK has disabled reputation
Could well be rapid-cycling Bipolar... suppose you could do with a B among all your A's

[Diagnosed HFA/AS 'with considerable attentional dysfunction in December 2003]
Old 10-23-05, 08:50 PM

Thanked 1,995 Times in 1,112 Posts
Crazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond repute
Yes it could be a symptom of Bipolar but it could be something else too....maybe you should get a Bipolar checklist and see if you fit the bill for having it
Quote:
Originally Posted by averity05
I get very moody very easily. I can go from calm one minute to irritable the next. Could that be bipolar or some other underlying condition.
Old 10-23-05, 09:40 PM
ADDvanced Member

muffin47 has disabled reputation
UnleashTheHound,

You're right. If you are Bipolar you switch between depression & manic phases.

Deb
Old 10-24-05, 10:00 AM

The only thing is I'm not sure if it is bipolar or if it's a result of the medications I'm on. I just stopped taking Ritalin LA 3 days ago and started Startterra 18mg/day to see if it was a result of the Ritalin LA (10mg/day). I'm also on Zoloft 50mg 1x/day. I've been taking Zoloft for 6 months now. When I started, at 12.5mg a day, I was very social and wouldn't let anyone else talk and I would be doing things I normally don't do. Then I started to fall into a depression again. Then when I was up to the 50mg of Zoloft, I started getting more agitated. I was very overpowering. At this time I was on the 50mg zoloft, .5mg/day Ativan (the generic of it), and took only 1, .5mg Risperdal. I didn't like to way the Risperdal made me feel so I stopped it. Then the doctor quit the ativan (generic) since I didn't need it anymore. I got very bad tics from stopping it, so I started clonodine (brand name: catapres/catapres-TTS). So, at this time (about 4 months ago), I was now taking 50mg. Zoloft and .1mg/day (in 2 doses: each .05mg) of the clonodine. My mood was OK but the attention got bad. I stopped it and started the Ritalin LA. This made it worse so I was just switched to the Strattera 18mg/day. I am starting to feel better again. Do you think It could be the medication or another condition causing the problem. Thanks for the help.
Old 10-24-05, 12:01 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

With all those med changes, mood swings aren't that surprising..

If it continues once you settle into a med regime, then you might want to be concerned.
Old 10-24-05, 02:45 PM
Jr Member

Meds and BP

I would talk to your pdoc about all this. AD meds with bi-polar can cause manic symptoms which are similar to what you described. A good pdoc will be very cautious with anyone who is dx'd with bp when prescribing any type of ad. The mood stablizers are supposed to help minimize mood episodes or at least reduce the extreme symptoms.

I would seriously talk to your doctor, I cannot reiterate this enough. Anyone can say, yeah, that sounds like bp or no that's not bp but we're not trained docs. BP looks different in different people and we can only relate to you our own personal experiences. BP can be extremely destructive to your life if untreated so if you think it's even a possibility than go get dx'd as soon as you can.

gg
Old 10-25-05, 09:16 AM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazygirl79
Yes it could be a symptom of Bipolar but it could be something else too....maybe you should get a Bipolar checklist and see if you fit the bill for having it
Where can I get the Bipolar Checklist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekgurl
I would talk to your pdoc about all this. AD meds with bi-polar can cause manic symptoms which are similar to what you described. A good pdoc will be very cautious with anyone who is dx'd with bp when prescribing any type of ad. The mood stablizers are supposed to help minimize mood episodes or at least reduce the extreme symptoms.
:foot: I must take the Zoloft (50mg) b/c I'm taking it for panic disorder.
Old 10-25-05, 09:41 AM
Jr Member

this one is a little complicated but I think it's a little more informative than the regular check lists http://www.psycheducation.org/depression/BSDS.htm. This website http://www.psycheducation.org/ is very informative as well so take a look at the rest of the site.

If you are bp than the zoloft can be replaced by something else for panic disoder. Zoloft for a bp is not really a good thing and can cause mania. Again this should be followed up with a pdoc.

Originally I got my dx and meds from a pcp and I was not on the right meds - Zyprexa and Prozac. I gained massive wieght and it just made me feel more out of control with my moods than without meds. I went to a pdoc and he put me on Tegretol and I actually feel in control of my life for the first time (I'm 38 so it's been a long time of out of control).

Again I am going to say to not self diagnose and see a pdoc. It's good to research but self diagnosis can be very dangerous. Just go to the pdoc and explain that you suspect that maybe you have bp and have them go through the normal diagnostic routine.

gg
Old 10-25-05, 09:43 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

There is alot of overlap in symptoms of the various disorders. Bipolar can look like other conditions, and other conditions can look like bipolar. (including ADHD). The best thing is to ask your doctor and mention any symptom that you've had that are worrying you. He should be able to tell either that you don't have it, and why. Or reconsider his diagnosis if it's new information.

But you do mention that you have an anxiety disorder. I guess you could develop anxiety over whether you have bipolar, and that would not be a good thing. So I guess try to assume that you don't have it unless/until told otherwise by a professional.