ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Advocacy, Coaching, Counseling and Practitioner Referrals > International Referrals > Australia
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-10, 05:56 AM

maelsa is on a distinguished road
Need Help From Someone Who Knows Qld Mental Health System

Hi,
I have a friend who has been seeing a private psychiatrist for months now, he was diagnosed not only with ADHD but also Bi Polar, anyway, he is in a financial mess, doesnt hold a Health Care Card, and needs to go through the public system, I called Mental Health Services, they gave me a few numbers to call, including some GP's but no-one wants to help or take on another Mental Health patient as one Medical Centre had told me. He has run out of Dex, I have explained this to them, but it doesnt seem to matter, his private psychiatrist wont right a script unless he pays for a consultation, eventhough I explained to him that he is in financial hardship but we dont know where to go, as apparently Dex can only be prescribed by those who are authorised I'm told. Where do we go??? Mental Health Service said unless he is really bad and needs to be cared for on a daily basis, he doesnt fit their criteria. I'm at a loss. Can someone help here with any information? I'm frustrated with the Mental Health System in Qld, it seems as though they arent overly concerned about prevention rather wait till the patient is in such a state of causing harm to himself or others is when someone in this situation would be looked after.
Old 09-01-10, 11:34 PM

Alyce is on a distinguished road
Re: Need Help From Someone Who Knows Qld Mental Health System

I have to admit I am facing a similar problem