ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-19-12, 08:14 AM

Slybfoxx is on a distinguished road
Re: Controversial Treatments for Children With Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disord

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadd823 View Post
I think dismissing some one because you do not think they have ADHD is especially inappropriate seeing as we are in the parental section and many of the parents here looking for support may not be ADHD themselves.

One does not have to be in a motor vehicle accident to know what one is when they see it - An ER doc does not need to have first hand information of what it is like to be in a crash to be capable of sewing the victims of one back together.

I find multiple perceptions presented in civilized respectful manner to the most productive for all concerned. Reading the various exchanges allows those following this discussion to see the topic from a variety of perceptions and come to their own conclusions.

I am NOT a Barkley fan and make no secret of it but I can extend a bit of courtesy to those who are and respect their contributions even if I disagree with them.

The thing I have yet to understand about any of these natural versus pharmaceutical treatments is the all or nothing approach that I find so common.

Few of us if any know the children's whose condition is being discussed, never mind know as much about them as their own parents I find it presumptuous when people pretend they do.

If a parent wants to try diet therapy or even neurofeedback for their child and they have the resources to do so no reason they shouldn't if that is what they feel to be in the best interest of their child.

If parents find that medication to be the best option then there is no reason why they shouldn't be supported for their decision.

Please do realize medical research is about treatment results as they apply to the whole population of ADDers - There are always exceptions to the rule. Most find ADHD medication beneficial but not every one will, some find special diets beneficial but not every one will -

Mileage may vary no matter which treatment is being used. So far no one has corned the market on the single unshakeable universal truth. I find it presumptuous when folks pretend they have.
Oh no! Not my intent at all as clearly there must be some ADHD there. And to be fair, I for some reason read Barkley's 2010 book, the whole damn thing last night, along with the paper cited by the gentleman I was talking to. The internet is a tough medium sometimes, to me, he sounded condenscending, but if I sounded the same I apologize....and Barkeley does has some good points in his book, just that his book makes you feel like your ADHD is a real crippler.....it is sometimes for me at least, but damn if I am going to let it be an excuse. I'm not the "aw shucks guys it's my ADHD" guy....it's more like "why can't you keep up with my thoughts?" The self esteem issues of a ADHD'er, like me at least, aren't exactly helped by reading about exactly how
bad our chemistry/malfunctions are...
Sponsored Links