ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDF Lounge > Other Creative Endeavors
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-11, 08:01 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,277 Times in 964 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation
Re: Uncontrollably gifted ADHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliee View Post
Thanks! Glad to contribute. It was a random tidbit for a theme. My brain just works that way. That's why I like analyzing English literature.

random tidbit.

"Uncontrollably random tidbit." Section.
The Following User Says Thank You to mildadhd For This Useful Post:
tired1823 (07-17-11)
Old 07-17-11, 08:05 PM
Banned

Thanked 2,723 Times in 1,614 Posts
tired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimoo Back-Y-Rita View Post
random tidbit.

i would love that section i think. all in favor say thanks.
Old 07-17-11, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
I don't understand this. Are you saying that perseverance is not a "trait"?

Or that the problem is that we lack the executive control to persevere and get things done?

I think when we have a talent or a gift for something, we're more able to persevere, and when we lack the talent for something, we find it almost impossible to persevere and get the thing done. The trick is figuring out what we can be good at and spending our energy on that rather than wasting it on things that we'll never be able to accomplish.
What ever the characteristic.

The ADHD will disable the issue over time, for me.

Proper medication and/or supportand/or environment is mandatory to succeed.

Perseverance Disruption Disorder.(just joking, sort of)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-11, 08:12 PM

Quote:
What ever the characteristic.

The ADHD will disable the issue over time, for me.

Proper medication and/or support and/or environment is mandatory to succeed.

Perseverance Disruption Disorder.(just joking, sort of)
Sneaky edit.
tired1823 (07-31-11)
Old 07-17-11, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimoo Back-Y-Rita
random tidbit.

i would love that section i think. all in favor say thanks.

Share a random fact about yourself
tired1823 (07-17-11)
Old 07-18-11, 08:58 AM

Thanked 27,049 Times in 12,624 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Oh! Boy!

I'm really nervous about the next question,

Remember that this is a free expression zone.

What is a trait?
You answer my question first, eh?

Feel free to express yourself.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 07-18-11, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
You answer my question first, eh?

Feel free to express yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doiadhd
It's not a trait,its the lack of ability to control it,thus unable to control the asset which is creativity. There is that slightly trait part of it,when it does happen it is noticeable,this is why some think we lack effort or could be lazy or lying. . .because they have seen us use it and do it,we just can't turn it on and off. So we lack the ability to control our creativity,uncontrollably. Where all the confusion is. Good thread.

Quote:
I don't understand this. Are you saying that perseverance is not a "trait"?

Or that the problem is that we lack the executive control to persevere and get things done?

I think when we have a talent or a gift for something, we're more able to persevere, and when we lack the talent for something, we find it almost impossible to persevere and get the thing done. The trick is figuring out what we can be good at and spending our energy on that rather than wasting it on things that we'll never be able to accomplish.-Lunacie
OK! Eh!

I think the way I would answer would be easier to express if I understood your definition of trait.

Noun

trait (plural traits)
  1. an identifying characteristic, habit or trend

I can't speak for Doiadhd,

But my understanding is the topic of "uncontrollably gifted ADHD",

is not a trait.

Quote:
"Perseverance is the most overrated of traits, if it is unaccompanied by talent."
Sydney J. Harris
Quote:
To be aware or unaware of personal talents,
perseverance is interrupted when accompanied by ADHD.
- Hose Head

What is executive talents?

I don't see where ADHD has any borders when it comes to talents.

The perseverance for a person with a disability, requires more perseverance than average.

And perseverance requires more than individual effort in many cases,
It requires support from others.

I can agree that interest and compatability play a role in people with ADHD lives.

But no more than any other human in general.

Example, I am really good at a ton of things, but I don't get them done either.

I can't see how traits are anything but environmental.

Carried by "genetics",

Are the environment.

Remember this is a going off thread and what is thought is suppose to be written down with out editing.

There is no right or wrong answer in this thread.

Only questions...
Old 07-31-11, 02:21 PM
Contributor

gypsysway will become famous soon enough

Quote:
It's not a trait, its the lack of ability to control it, thus unable to control the asset which is creativity. There is that slightly trait part of it, when it does happen it is noticeable, this is why some think we lack effort or could be lazy or lying. . .because they have seen us use it and do it, we just can't turn it on and off. So we lack the ability to control our creativity, uncontrollably. Where all the confusion is. Good thread.

I can see why you say this. I have always been able to draw well and people think you can just sit down and draw at the drop of a hat. Not me if I am not in the mood it doesn't happen, I do lack the ability to control it in a way, I can make myself but it would be more of just art rather then creativity.

At times I would want to draw but my mind would be racing so much I can't think of what to do. So I just draw a line then another, and basically let my hand just go, and I will start seeing something in it and go with it, and it will just become. I have doodled all my life this way and can remember doing it in jr high study hall and kids near me watching and then asking when the bell rings what it is, and can they have it, saying "how cool"

My doodling looks much like tribal art and people have referred to it as so , and I am quick to reply that it is not it is just the way I have always doodled.
My avatar is actually my signature G. I just kept drawing it over and over while turning the paper then colored it.
purely random.

I so much wish I did something with my talent more often.
I have to agree with the fact stimulants make me much more creative.
I remember many years ago, when I experimented with Cocaine, while everybody else was running around wide open and talking a hundred miles an hour, they would keep asking me if I was okay, I did just the opposite, I got quiet and focus, and drew The coolest Bear in about an hour and a half that night. My x-husband still has it hanging over his fire place. Needless to say I have done a few pieces of art this way. I really disliked the stuff (cocaine) that is I think it is an evil drug that has ruined more lives than I care to think about, and often asked God in my mind why he couldn't had made something work the same way for me that was safe and I actually liked. I do not quiet get the same effects from meds as I did from the Coke, but I imagine if I were to abuse it, it may would happen, That is just not for me.
"Every individual has to retain his way of thinking if he does not want to get lost in the maze of possibilities. However, nobody is sure of having taken the right road, me the least"... Albert Einstein; May 25, 1953
Old 07-31-11, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsysway View Post
I can see why you say this. I have always been able to draw well and people think you can just sit down and draw at the drop of a hat. Not me if I am not in the mood it doesn't happen, I do lack the ability to control it in a way, I can make myself but it would be more of just art rather then creativity.

At times I would want to draw but my mind would be racing so much I can't think of what to do. So I just draw a line then another, and basically let my hand just go, and I will start seeing something in it and go with it, and it will just become. I have doodled all my life this way and can remember doing it in jr high study hall and kids near me watching and then asking when the bell rings what it is, and can they have it, saying "how cool"

My doodling looks much like tribal art and people have referred to it as so , and I am quick to reply that it is not it is just the way I have always doodled.
My avatar is actually my signature G. I just kept drawing it over and over while turning the paper then colored it.
purely random.

I so much wish I did something with my talent more often.
I have to agree with the fact stimulants make me much more creative.
I remember many years ago, when I experimented with Cocaine, while everybody else was running around wide open and talking a hundred miles an hour, they would keep asking me if I was okay, I did just the opposite, I got quiet and focus, and drew The coolest Bear in about an hour and a half that night. My x-husband still has it hanging over his fire place. Needless to say I have done a few pieces of art this way. I really disliked the stuff (cocaine) that is I think it is an evil drug that has ruined more lives than I care to think about, and often asked God in my mind why he couldn't had made something work the same way for me that was safe and I actually liked. I do not quiet get the same effects from meds as I did from the Coke, but I imagine if I were to abuse it, it may would happen, That is just not for me.
Thanks , I can draw/carve really good to, but I find it hard to use my talents too.

I would never try coke because I know I would like it to much.
Or any other hard drugs.

Thanks for your experiences,

You pretty much have the idea of the thread.
Old 07-31-11, 02:43 PM
Banned

Thanked 2,723 Times in 1,614 Posts
tired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to behold

I love this thread. The beginning is great.
Old 07-31-11, 06:00 PM

Thanked 27,049 Times in 12,624 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
>
I think the way I would answer would be easier to express if I understood your definition of trait.

Noun

trait (plural traits)
  1. an identifying characteristic, habit or trend

I can't speak for Doiadhd,

But my understanding is the topic of "uncontrollably gifted ADHD",

is not a trait.

Doiadhd said, "It's not a trait,its the lack of ability to control it".

The lack of executive control is what I consider a primary trait of ADHD. My definition of "trait" is pretty much what you posted ... A characteristic, especially one that distinguishes an individual from others.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me