ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-08, 09:08 AM
Forum ADDvocate

xraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud of
Wink Do you tell people you have ADD?

I am curious?
Does everyone in your life circle know you have AD/HD? If you found out as an adult, have you told people?
I have read a lot on these forums, about people leary of telling employers..I would agree, not because I think its a bad thing, I think people are ignorant to their own standards, and feel you must astain a certain social ethic in the workplace, and obviously how could this be done if you had ADD?
Well I am here to tell them all..that is crap..I may not shout from the roof tops..but I just passed my last set of boards, and I am off the hook ADD! I am practicing, have had to issue getting liability for my practice, and feel proud to have accomplished this..those initials behind my name, were a proud moment..but now its the real world, and those who suffer more than I.
But I am curious..if you have ADD, like I do..do you hide it from those you are closest too..you see my husband knows me no other way..so is this what it is like for others? My daughter has ADD, and of course we act just alike, but he does not know I am on meds. He thinks I am just me..the girl who has to have the pillows neat, and the floor vacumed, three times a week.
So, if you don't say anything, would they notice a difference on meds? maybe?
Don't get me wrong, he could care less..we've been together 20 years..and not once has a day gone by, he doens't smile and say..YEP..thats why I love ya(for whatever random thing I am doing).
So, if you feel you can...let me know..do you share?
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to xraylady33 For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (10-09-16), ADD me (05-04-13), ADHD Me (02-27-11), ADHDnME (06-10-10), ADHD_Trekkie (03-25-19), Anna3000 (11-15-11), Bikie (07-01-10), djdragon7k (08-20-08), DotwithADD (08-07-08), Excelsior1 (11-14-15), helperpeople (09-02-09), jtrag (02-14-12), Mercurial (07-17-16), Stevuke79 (01-25-13)
Old 08-02-08, 10:55 AM
Contributor

MissAdhd is a jewel in the roughMissAdhd is a jewel in the roughMissAdhd is a jewel in the rough
Re: [b]Do you tell people you have ADD?

I'm honest with those close to me.. the difference Meds have made in my life is pretty obvious..

But to those who are not in my close circle.. it's none of their business
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to MissAdhd For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (10-09-16), addjulia (04-03-14), Anna3000 (11-22-11), DotwithADD (08-07-08), earth_mama02 (12-22-11), Excelsior1 (11-14-15), FlightyBroad (01-03-14), IloveBillHicks (07-14-14), Kay's World (09-28-11), Komod0Dragon (08-13-10), Meadd (12-24-13), Mercurial (07-17-16), Michiko74 (08-02-08), Purple16 (12-07-13), Snoor (01-24-10), Tgumps (04-02-13), velofocus (01-20-10), xraylady33 (08-02-08)
Old 08-02-08, 12:50 PM
Jr Member

BTCruiser is on a distinguished road

I'm pretty open about it with friends. Honestly, I'm not ashamed of it - I think I've made some huge strides in my life since my diagnosis, and I'm not ashamed that I have ADD. I'm proud of what I've done and overcome.

I've been with my current company for 3 years, and have received a promotion and transfer recently. Both my former boss and my current manager know about it. My former boss, I told her out of respect because I was going back on Strattera after pregnancy and breastfeeding, so I wanted her to know that if I seemed 'off', hopefully, things would level out soon.

My current boss, umm, well, I was drunk at a bar with him after a staff meeting . I was switched to Adderall from Strattera yesterday, and ended up telling him - the funny thing is, I found out he's also on Adderall and is ADD - I should have recognized it with his behaviors because we are very much alike. He also gives me hope that I'll make as much as he does one day .

I don't feel like I need to tell them, but for me, it's just a part of who I am. And I don't use it as an excuse - if I screw up something at work, I screw it up, ADD or not. So I've made sure that both of my managers are aware that I'm not using it to excuse anything, but if I'm not acting like myself, it may be a result of a medication adjustment and not just that I'm weird. Or I could just be weird .
The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to BTCruiser For This Useful Post:
addcolin (07-19-11), addengineer (07-31-09), ADHD&Meds (05-30-09), AngelNicki (07-05-09), Anna3000 (11-22-11), annieoakley (06-19-09), ariwara (06-20-12), BennyK (05-08-13), IloveBillHicks (07-14-14), Jewelz81 (09-27-11), Kay's World (09-28-11), LaMbaL (09-04-12), Mercurial (07-17-16), monkey14 (06-17-10), musiclvr2675 (03-23-12), randomguy (05-30-11), RedJosh (03-01-12), SamTorDad (10-01-10), Snoor (01-24-10), Strikkulf (05-18-13), The Absent Mind (10-29-09), xraylady33 (08-02-08)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-10, 11:08 PM

ADHDnME will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCruiser View Post
I'm pretty open about it with friends. Honestly, I'm not ashamed of it - I think I've made some huge strides in my life since my diagnosis, and I'm not ashamed that I have ADD. I'm proud of what I've done and overcome.

I've been with my current company for 3 years, and have received a promotion and transfer recently. Both my former boss and my current manager know about it. My former boss, I told her out of respect because I was going back on Strattera after pregnancy and breastfeeding, so I wanted her to know that if I seemed 'off', hopefully, things would level out soon.

My current boss, umm, well, I was drunk at a bar with him after a staff meeting . I was switched to Adderall from Strattera yesterday, and ended up telling him - the funny thing is, I found out he's also on Adderall and is ADD - I should have recognized it with his behaviors because we are very much alike. He also gives me hope that I'll make as much as he does one day .

I don't feel like I need to tell them, but for me, it's just a part of who I am. And I don't use it as an excuse - if I screw up something at work, I screw it up, ADD or not. So I've made sure that both of my managers are aware that I'm not using it to excuse anything, but if I'm not acting like myself, it may be a result of a medication adjustment and not just that I'm weird. Or I could just be weird .
I was recently in a meeting with a co-worker who was trained to do a job that affects the work I do. She was doing it incorrectly and I requested that maybe she needed to go over with the supervisor again the steps for this procedure. She yelled at me, with the supervisor present and the whole office hearing, "you need mental health medications!" and stormed out of the office. I felt terrible. I was very professional with that person and for her to say something like that was terrible. I remained professional the entire time...she felt threatened and threw a personal attack at me. I don't tell anyone but my closest friends and family about my ADHD.
Old 06-11-10, 09:39 AM

deladaisy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADHDnME View Post
I felt terrible. I was very professional with that person and for her to say something like that was terrible. I remained professional the entire time...she felt threatened and threw a personal attack at me.
That is awful. Just awful. I would probably cry. I'm sorry to hear that this happened to you.
Old 03-23-12, 04:44 PM

musiclvr2675 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCruiser View Post

Took the words right out of my mouth. I feel accomplished for getting this far in my life WITHOUT meds or knowing I had ADD. Now that I know and I'm starting my journey to find the right treatment I feel excited that I will make bigger and better strides in my life. I have so much relief for finally finding out what was wrong with me all this time because I could never figure it out on my own and I didn't even truly know what ADHD was, just one of the many that assumed it was a trend, I was in denial. As difficult as it is to embrace all the things I could've done better in my past had I known, I'm glad I know now and am just moving forward.
The Following User Says Thank You to musiclvr2675 For This Useful Post:
Wowwowwow (11-01-14)
Old 09-08-08, 03:31 PM
ADDvanced Member

lollypop has a spectacular aura aboutlollypop has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissAdhd View Post
I'm honest with those close to me.. the difference Meds have made in my life is pretty obvious..

This is very much the stance for me. I try to keep the balance between those who need to know and those who as you say its 'none of their business'

My mum for reasons I will never fully understand takes great joy in spreading word to the entire world that all her children are mentally deformed in some way or another and it infuriates us all equally. Before you ask no she doesnt use the word deformed but for how her advertising makes the rest of us feel she may as well lol

Its not that I have an issue with being ADD, but I do have an issue with the shear ignorance that so many hold on it and I already spend a great deal of time working on that ignorance in regard to my daughter, I dont have the strength to argue with peoples ignorance over me as well so I say nothing and those who dont like me continue to think I'm this agreesive loud overbearing person and I continue to think they can stick it lol
The Following User Says Thank You to lollypop For This Useful Post:
xraylady33 (09-20-08)
Old 09-10-08, 12:31 PM
ADDvanced Member

Azkary is on a distinguished road
Re: Do you tell people you have ADD?

I tell the poeple I trust. But when I told my mom, I trust her a lot, she said 'well, you've always been this way'.

Up until now my hubby knows, my mom, siblings, an aunt, grandma and some cousins and frineds. I guess I was trying to prove that all the weird stuff about me had an explanation.

Although their reactions aren't what I expected. My aunt and mom think it's just an excuse for the doctoer to get me to buy pills...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Azkary For This Useful Post:
4rch0n4n6313 (08-11-15), lilnana (09-17-09), xraylady33 (09-20-08)
Old 09-17-09, 02:13 PM

lilnana is on a distinguished road
Red face Re: Do you tell people you have ADD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azkary View Post
I guess I was trying to prove that all the weird stuff about me had an explanation.:
That's an excellent point. I usually end up telling everyone (I'm a chronic oversharer). I think it may just be some unconscious attempt to do just what you wrote....
The Following User Says Thank You to lilnana For This Useful Post:
xraylady33 (09-17-09)
Old 12-30-08, 06:47 PM
ADDvanced Member

Gina has much to be proud ofGina has much to be proud ofGina has much to be proud ofGina has much to be proud ofGina has much to be proud ofGina has much to be proud ofGina has much to be proud ofGina has much to be proud ofGina has much to be proud ofGina has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissAdhd View Post

Seems like the wisest additude to me. Public awareness is getting better, but it's still a risk to have people make stupid judgments that could affect your livelihood, your children's education, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gina For This Useful Post:
xraylady33 (01-13-09)
Old 12-30-08, 10:49 PM

teenie is on a distinguished road

I have told some family but not all. I am not embarrassed about it, I have decided that I have only been diagnosed for six months now that I will focus on getting myself better and regulated on my meds before I open myself up to the people that I anticipate will have an opinionated reaction. My friends know and I have all been very supportive.
The Following User Says Thank You to teenie For This Useful Post:
xraylady33 (01-13-09)
Old 01-13-09, 05:05 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,114 Times in 541 Posts
wsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaPera View Post
Seems like the wisest additude to me. Public awareness is getting better, but it's still a risk to have people make stupid judgments that could affect your livelihood, your children's education, etc.
But what if a person with ADD/HD can be an example of how worthwhile someone with ADD/HD is?

The only way to break these stereotypes and misconceptions is to provide the world with proof that we really are regular folks who just have our own particular quirks or special abilities.

I see this in the world of the Transgendered person.
The common feeling amongst TG folks that I know or have met online, is that the genetic male who feels transgendered is type-casted as a flaming drag queen.

And don't we all know, thanks to hollywood and television, that all transwoman are fragile mentally/emotionally, and run around in pink chiffon dresses, heavy makeup, outrageous false eyelashes/wigs/boobs, and 10 inch stiletto pumps?

For the genetic female who understands they are transgendered, their particular public image is that of a Bull Dyke Lesbian.

You know them... those overweight, crew-cut, chain-smoking, "IN YOUR FACE", militant, b*tches! All angry and emotionally corrupt.

More and more of us Trans People are finding out that if we just be ourselves and allow this whole trans-issue to just be another ingredient of who we are, and act like that... more people are going to see us, over time, as part of the norm instead of an anomaly.

Now, of course, there are folks who will cling to ignorant, abusive, and discriminatory views, but I can't spend my life hiding from them.

What I'm trying to get across here is that we either let these stereotypes persist and hide behind them or stress ourselves out by trying to 'be' what we are not... or we just be ourselves and when the question comes up, we acknowledge that, "Why sure, I have ADD/HD! And here's what it means in my life... the difficult and the wonderful!".
ETA: The only way to overcome ignorance is through education! WE are responsible for educating those around us.. family, friends, co-workers, etc... that we deserve respect. You and I are NOT going to get respect because someone somewhere else stood up and spoke, or wrote a book, or made a video, or succeeded at a career, and so on.

why can't I add smilies to an edit? oops! I guess it worked!

=========
I know have a new diagnosis: Attention Difference Display / Happy Dance (ADD/HD)... I think it fits!
=========

Sometimes I worry that if I don't slow down... I'll run my batteries down and won't be able to recharge myself... powered down permanently at such a young age!
Old 01-13-09, 10:58 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

~Ødd~Scr~θθball has much to be proud of~Ødd~Scr~θθball has much to be proud of~Ødd~Scr~θθball has much to be proud of~Ødd~Scr~θθball has much to be proud of~Ødd~Scr~θθball has much to be proud of~Ødd~Scr~θθball has much to be proud of~Ødd~Scr~θθball has much to be proud of~Ødd~Scr~θθball has much to be proud of
Talking Reply To: Do you tell people you have ADD?

At the time I was diagnosed with AD{H}D I was so relieved to finally have an actual name to my problems, I see no reason to hide it. I've always been upfront about my conditions. I don't volunteer the information but if someone asks or if I see that someone is giving me a strange look I will certainly speak up. My AD{H}D, Dyscalculia and Sensory Integration Disorder are part and parcel of who I am and I see it as an opportunity to enlighten and help others understand what having these conditions mean.

"Spiraling With That θddly Riveting Scrθθey Grθθθve"
If life is so Riveting-How come my A{D}HD makes me feel like Bθlting when I
Scrθθ~up!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ~Ødd~Scr~θθball For This Useful Post:
4rch0n4n6313 (08-11-15), kebejazo (02-24-10)
Old 01-14-09, 11:22 PM
Contributor

ADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of light
Cool Re: [b]Do you tell people you have ADD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmac View Post
But what if a person with ADD/HD can be an example of how worthwhile someone with ADD/HD is?

The only way to break these stereotypes and misconceptions is to provide the world with proof that we really are regular folks who just have our own particular quirks or special abilities.
ETA: The only way to overcome ignorance is through education! WE are responsible for educating those around us.. family, friends, co-workers, etc... that we deserve respect. You and I are NOT going to get respect because someone somewhere else stood up and spoke, or wrote a book, or made a video, or succeeded at a career, and so on.

why can't I add smilies to an edit? oops! I guess it worked!
I agree with this. I like to challenge the misconceptions people have about ADHD and I have seen many instances where someone's perception has changed for the better, if only by a small amount. Many times people will end up saying something like, "I didn't know that. I never thought of it that way. Now that I think about it, that makes sense. That would explain my brother, spouse, child, friend, etc. No wonder they have a problem with "fill in the blank".

You start a conversation and you just might teach them a few things. And help them to develop a different perspective, see things in a different light.

ADDMagnet
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ADDMagnet For This Useful Post:
DotwithADD (01-17-09), salleh (03-20-10), wsmac (01-14-09)
Old 01-22-09, 05:31 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

gnbeg has a spectacular aura aboutgnbeg has a spectacular aura about

I was dx'd ADHD & BP last week. Since then I've only told my wife. I kinda expected a long drawn out discussion about it and the drugs I'm taking. But she just said, "Oh, OK" and gave me a hug.

I am considering telling my son who is ADHD, early 20's and untreated. Maybe just maybe if he knows that I'm doing something about it, he might be willing to get help. We tried to get him treated in Jr. High and he absolutely refused.

I may tell my oldest daughter. At times I wonder if she's BP. At the moment, I don't plan on telling any one else.