ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 05-15-19, 03:59 PM

italianstallion is on a distinguished road
Vyvanse wears off after 4 hours.. what to look for?

As someone who has had the highest highs and lowest lows since first being prescribed stimulants like vyvanse and adderall, I wonder if I have been looking for the wrong thing all along. In this post I’m just going to focus on vyvanse, but I can basically say the same things about adderall.

When I take vyvanse, the first 4 hours or so are great. It acts as a mood lifter, I find I am actually happy, more social, have more energy and focus etc. In no way does it feel like a “euphoric” type of rush, I feel like this is how a normal should always feel. Is this an accurate assumption?

But then beginning around the 4 hour mark, everything drastically changes. My mood becomes very negative and I think I feel worse off than I would be unmedicated. I feel very tired, bad mood, a loss of energy and I suddenly don’t want to do anything, due to the bad mood and lack of energy.

It’s hard to tell if at this point I can focus any better because what’s the point if I cannot get myself to start OR stick with anything anyway. So what should I be expecting to feel? I know many other people seem to experience something similar. How do you make it work? What do you do for the rest of the day?

It really has been a miracle drug at times giving me many of the things I always seemed to lack: self confidence, motivation/desire to do things, energy. While it’s also been a nightmare when it seems to almost make all these things worse.

TL/DR:

I believe that Vyvanse is lasting only about 4 hours. Is this common OR am I just expecting the wrong effects?

How do I know if it’s still working?

Is Vyvanse supposed to put you in a better mood? After around 4 hours I seem to lose all happiness as well as desire to do anything. Something as simple as holding a conversation with someone suddenly seems to become an impossible task.

The only consistent thing vyvanse seems to have ever done for me was get me back on ADDforums searching for answers.
Old 05-15-19, 06:09 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 14,983 Times in 6,694 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Vyvanse wears off after 4 hours.. what to look for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianstallion View Post
I believe that Vyvanse is lasting only about 4 hours. Is this common OR am I just expecting the wrong effects?
Vyvanse only lasted 4-5 hours for me when taking 60mg.

At 180mg, it had a longer duration, but that's not sustainable under most insurances or with most doctors.

Cheers,
Ian
Old 05-16-19, 03:29 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,094 Times in 15,350 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Full disclosure: I have a bias against Vyvanse. The reasons are because: It does not last as long as its purported to, the company Shire extended its patent and will not have a US generic here even though there is one overseas, Shire came out with vyvanse when the adderall xr patent was either expired or getting close, and it was heavily marketed as the the "abuse proof", perfect for kids pill for adhd. But that is not to say it doesn't work. The people I know that it works for its perfect and lasts them most of the day. Most of the people that I know though have had better luck with other amphetamines. When I took vyvanse I got about 5 hours out of it. I had severe jaw clenching, racing heart and was extremely emotional and irritable. To be fair I have absorption issues and am a fast metabolizer so that may be why it didn't last. My daughter had the same reactions. I have used both dexedrine spansules and adderall xr for a total of 14 years. I took dex for about 7 years then adderall. I am very fortunate to have a good dosing schedule. Many people who take vyvanse also need a booster dose of dexedrine for late in the day. That may be a solution for you since it works well for you for those 4 hours.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
notoutthewoods (10-03-19)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-19, 03:33 AM

LMS2015 is on a distinguished road

Vyvanse only lasts 4 hours for me too...and like Sarah above..I also have absorption issues and can't take medication that is time released. Unfortunately I have never been on anything BUT vyvanse. I was diagnosed as an adult and immediately given vyvanse. In Canada we don't have adderall immediate release and our options are limited. My dr has never offered me a different medication....and when I glazed over the topic with him I got the feeling he was a big fan of vyvanse. When taking it...I can't eat or drink anything other than water for 2 hours before...or it won't work. I can't eat or drink anything but water for the 4 hours its "on" or it will go into a sharp decline. So for ME...its not really being used as a cure or solution...but more of a temporary tool. I'll take it when I notice things start to pile up and I need to clean my house or if I have something important to work on. Its all I have...and all I'm being offered....so I'm just trying to make the best of it I guess. I'm prescribed 70mg a day.
Old 10-03-19, 10:39 AM
Jr Member

notoutthewoods is on a distinguished road

Just started Vyvanse 70mg (switched Adderall 60mg) so too early to give an authoritative review. Comments above me are great though, very helpful.

Referring to Sarah's comment, I can def see why a little booster or whatever would be needed at the end of the day.

So far I *THINK* i'm getting more than 4 hours "mileage" from it, BUT it's still so early (not even been a week). AND, while I feel like I *feel* the Vyvanse longer than 4-5 hours, I do notice the desired concentration effects do run out at a point (maybe 6-7....8? hours?) even though I still *feel the Vyvanse in my body in other ways* (e.g. I couldn't read something super well but I could have an alert conversation )—

BUT, I guess back to your OP, my experiences has more been a slight increase of anxiety from Vyvanse 70mg vs Adderall 60mg actually, and that anxiety starts as soon as the vyvanse kicks in, not 4-5 hours later or after it's concentration effects have worn off. And I haven't had the negative mood symptoms you described, but I also take an SSRI.
Old 10-04-19, 10:44 AM
ADDvanced Member

benito is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by notoutthewoods View Post

...and that anxiety starts as soon as the vyvanse kicks in, not 4-5 hours later or after it's concentration effects have worn off. And I haven't had the negative mood symptoms you described, but I also take an SSRI.
If Vyvanse lasts no more than 4-5 hours, it is possible that what Sarah says may be happen and maybe you are a fast metabolizer. I also metabolize fast (it also happens to me with other medications) and vyvanse does not last more than 5 hours. I am experiencing adding 20mg within 5 hours of taking 70mg and it seems that I am doing better. I have no problems at bedtime. I sleep well. But all this I have to talk to my doctor to see if I can do it. I am doing it at my own risk, and I shouldn't, but my doctor lets me do this kind of things, there is a very good relationship and she trusts in my judgment. Talk to your doctor about this.

which SSRI are you taking?
Old 10-04-19, 12:44 PM
Jr Member

My SSRI is Lexapro 10MG/day

Update: Last couple days I've felt tired (i.e. possibly the Vyvanse wearing off) earlier than the first couple days I started taking Vyvanse. So my experience could be trending toward yours of 4-5 hours then wear off. :-(
Old 10-04-19, 12:56 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Full disclosure: Many people who take vyvanse also need a booster dose of dexedrine for late in the day. That may be a solution for you since it works well for you for those 4 hours.
I might inquire about a booster for late in the day.

Do you mind kindly explaining why Dexedrine seems to be the go-to booster used later in the day after Vyvanse wears off, as opposed to other ADD meds?

I'm meeting my psychiatrist next week. I requested an earlier "check in" appt. the very day/appointment he prescribed Vyvanse 70MG, switching from Adderall 60MG, before even trying the Vyvanse, as I was apprehensive I might not respond well and wouldn't want to wait a full month if so. So, not because I'm having a horrible reaction to Vyvanse or anything.

The jury is still out on Vyvanse, only started it money. I did have some trouble sleeping the first couple nights but that has improved a lot. I also felt the Vyvanse caused a slight uptick of anxiety, and that one I do still feel, but it's complicated b/c (as kindly suggested by benito) it could be withdrawal of sorts (since my Adderall 60MG dose beforehand is considered much higher in terms of stimulant equivalency, though I've learned those equivalency tables aren't to be interpreted so simplistically).
Old 10-05-19, 06:47 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,094 Times in 15,350 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by notoutthewoods View Post
I might inquire about a booster for late in the day.

Do you mind kindly explaining why Dexedrine seems to be the go-to booster used later in the day after Vyvanse wears off, as opposed to other ADD meds?
Hi there.
Here is a brief about vyvanse:[quote]
Vyvanse is lisdexamfetamine, which is dextroamphetamine (the molecular name of Dexedrine), bound to a lysine molecule. It remains inactive until hydrolyzing enzymes cleave off the lysine and convert it to the active dextroamphetamine. The manufacturer’s claim is that this gives the drug a lower potential for abuse because the active ingredient is only released when the medication is swallowed, making it inactive if snorted or injected. Interestingly, there are numerous web sites instructing would-be amateur chemists on how to perform the hydrolysis reaction at home prior to ingestion in order to have access to the pure dextroamphetamine form/[quote]

Dex is often used as the booster because of its "kinship" with vyvanse. Adderall contains levoamphetamine which is not in dexedrine. The Levo can sometimes be responsible for the excess PNS stimulation you feel or cause jitteriness in some people. I took dex for about 7 years and it worked but if I didnt get going on something meaningful i could easily spend all day hanging out and having a good time socializing.
With the adderall I have that extra kick in the butt and tend to be more productive which is why I switched.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
notoutthewoods (10-05-19)
Old 10-05-19, 03:30 PM
Jr Member

[quote=sarahsweets;2020868]Hi there.
Here is a brief about vyvanse:[quote]
Vyvanse is lisdexamfetamine, which is dextroamphetamine (the molecular name of Dexedrine), bound to a lysine molecule. It remains inactive until hydrolyzing enzymes cleave off the lysine and convert it to the active dextroamphetamine. The manufacturer’s claim is that this gives the drug a lower potential for abuse because the active ingredient is only released when the medication is swallowed, making it inactive if snorted or injected. Interestingly, there are numerous web sites instructing would-be amateur chemists on how to perform the hydrolysis reaction at home prior to ingestion in order to have access to the pure dextroamphetamine form/
Quote:

Dex is often used as the booster because of its "kinship" with vyvanse. Adderall contains levoamphetamine which is not in dexedrine. The Levo can sometimes be responsible for the excess PNS stimulation you feel or cause jitteriness in some people. I took dex for about 7 years and it worked but if I didnt get going on something meaningful i could easily spend all day hanging out and having a good time socializing.
With the adderall I have that extra kick in the butt and tend to be more productive which is why I switched.
Wow once again...SarahSweets delivering THE 411!!!!!!!!!

So amazing. Been meaning to reply to you message just still a bit "off" due to adjusting to Vyvanse in part
The Following User Says Thank You to notoutthewoods For This Useful Post:
sarahsweets (10-06-19)