ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDF Lounge > Chit-Chat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-19, 08:33 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 30,733 Times in 14,133 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The weather

I've been wondering lately if climate change is something to worry about and based on everything I've read, yes, it absolutely is.

We've got winter in the night and summer during the day. The temperatures jump by more than 10C in a matter of a few hours. I don't know if that's a sign of climate change,let alone man made climate change but the fact that we are continuously breaking all weather records (hottest summer, warmest winter, warmest February ever etc) probably is.

Emotionally I can't get myself to be upset about insects disappearing though I should be. Very.

I think of all causes that I should support this might be the most important one but I can't get myself to care that much. Not yet. It's too abstract, too remote or maybe I'm just too ignorant.

Anyway, crazy weather. I never know what to wear.
Old 03-05-19, 10:16 PM

Thanked 26,825 Times in 12,521 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
I've been wondering lately if climate change is something to worry about and based on everything I've read, yes, it absolutely is.

We've got winter in the night and summer during the day. The temperatures jump by more than 10C in a matter of a few hours. I don't know if that's a sign of climate change,let alone man made climate change but the fact that we are continuously breaking all weather records (hottest summer, warmest winter, warmest February ever etc) probably is.

Emotionally I can't get myself to be upset about insects disappearing though I should be. Very.

I think of all causes that I should support this might be the most important one but I can't get myself to care that much. Not yet. It's too abstract, too remote or maybe I'm just too ignorant.

Anyway, crazy weather. I never know what to wear.
Humans have only been keeping records on the weather for the last 100 years
or so. Who knows what the planet went through 500 years ago, or 1,000? It
seems like no one is taking that into account.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (03-06-19)
Old 03-06-19, 03:51 AM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 21,350 Times in 10,772 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
There's a field called paleoclimatology that uses ice cores, tree rings, sediments, corals, and other evidence to reconstruct past climate and to understand how the climate has changed over time. Fascinating (and important) stuff!

Where I live, the spring crocuses had started to come up and some even had buds, but then we had a cold snap (temperature currently in the teens Fahrenheit/about -10C). I hope they'll still flower once it warms up in a few days!
The Following User Says Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (03-06-19)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-19, 09:55 AM

Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think we know roughly what the planet went through thousands of years ago or even millions of years. The earth has gone through periods of climate change before and if I understand correctly with pretty devastating effects.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
namazu (03-06-19)
Old 03-06-19, 10:07 AM

Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by namazu View Post
There's a field called paleoclimatology that uses ice cores, tree rings, sediments, corals, and other evidence to reconstruct past climate and to understand how the climate has changed over time. Fascinating (and important) stuff!

Where I live, the spring crocuses had started to come up and some even had buds, but then we had a cold snap (temperature currently in the teens Fahrenheit/about -10C). I hope they'll still flower once it warms up in a few days!
I had read about reading tree rings to chart earthquakes. Had not heard about
using sediment, coral, and other stuff to chart climate changes. Interesting.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
namazu (03-06-19)
Old 03-06-19, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
I think we know roughly what the planet went through thousands of years ago or even millions of years. The earth has gone through periods of climate change before and if I understand correctly with pretty devastating effects.
I have trouble blaming the current climate change on humans alone given the
history of long past climate changes.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (03-06-19), namazu (03-06-19)
Old 03-06-19, 10:30 AM

Quote:
I have trouble blaming the current climate change on humans alone given the
history of long past climate changes.
https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
namazu (03-06-19), SashaBV (03-06-19)
Old 03-06-19, 07:05 PM
Contributor

SashaBV will become famous soon enough

It's not so much the severity of the change in climate, it's how FAST it's changing...which is related to the ways humans have changed everything on earth. The speed of the change is NOT normal based on all the evidence they've found on previous major changes in climate. And that brings up the problem of how reversible the recent changes are and even whether it can be reversed. Our species population is extremely large for a planet of this size and we've become very dependent on huge and relatively expensive (not even $-wise but as related to the cost to the environment of earth) resources compared to our species way back in the past. Our comfort and desires should not be the most important thing in this matter. If our survival as a species becomes questionable (I believe it has already) then what are we going to do? That is hard to discuss logically and unemotionally, but it MUST be discussed. One thing I'd like to say is that the phrase "global warming" doesn't really describe what is happening and shouldn't be used. It's SO much more than that!
The Following User Says Thank You to SashaBV For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (03-06-19)
Old 03-06-19, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaBV View Post
It's not so much the severity of the change in climate, it's how FAST it's changing...which is related to the ways humans have changed everything on earth. The speed of the change is NOT normal based on all the evidence they've found on previous major changes in climate. And that brings up the problem of how reversible the recent changes are and even whether it can be reversed. Our species population is extremely large for a planet of this size and we've become very dependent on huge and relatively expensive (not even $-wise but as related to the cost to the environment of earth) resources compared to our species way back in the past. Our comfort and desires should not be the most important thing in this matter. If our survival as a species becomes questionable (I believe it has already) then what are we going to do? That is hard to discuss logically and unemotionally, but it MUST be discussed. One thing I'd like to say is that the phrase "global warming" doesn't really describe what is happening and shouldn't be used. It's SO much more than that!
Yup like insects disappearing. I hate them but they are vital for the environment apart from what their scarily fast demise is indicating.
Old 04-21-19, 05:26 PM

Thanked 22,329 Times in 12,024 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Cool and cloudy with rain.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
Old 04-21-19, 05:39 PM

Barometric pressure is still falling, wind is gusting up to 35 mph.
Worst migraine I've had since last fall. Wouldn't be up but someone
knocked on the door and I couldn't get back to sleep. Just hurting.

namazu (04-21-19)
Old 04-22-19, 12:10 AM
Contributor

Funky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to all

Yes, climate fluctuates on its own over time. But there's no denying that humans have sped up the timeline of said changes. It's already scientifically proven that our carbon levels are exponentially higher than they've ever been, and the increase is happening exponentially faster than it ever has. This is proven FACT. Besides, anyone who can look at the changes we've made to the ecosystem and still disagree that we're having an impact needs to quit smoking what they're smoking (or share it with me so I can bask in ignorance with them)!
Old 04-22-19, 08:05 AM

Thanked 14,979 Times in 6,693 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Thunderstorms and rain

Cheers,
Ian
The Following User Says Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (04-22-19)
Old 04-22-19, 01:38 PM

Thanked 22,329 Times in 12,024 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

nice and clear and warm here

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
Old 04-22-19, 08:05 PM

Thanked 11,429 Times in 6,061 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

Warm but thunderstorms n rain..I can't get my lawns in after work w this suckyloo weather
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rebelyell For This Useful Post:
aeon (04-23-19), Greyhound1 (04-26-19), Little Missy (04-22-19)