ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-04, 11:31 AM

kwilliams is on a distinguished road
NEWBIE: Need advice on son w/ADHD

My son was disgnosed with ADHD about a year ago, and they also tested his IQ at the same time. His IQ tested "above average", and he was perscribed 40 mg of Strattera. Anyway, we just moved to a new area, and he's going to a new school. He had behavioral issues at the old school that he had attended for 2 years, so I was hoping that a new start would help him to improve.

I just received a response email from his 2nd grade teacher, and this is how she says that he's doing in class:
SON'S NAME seems to want to do the "right" thing, but is starting to make
strange sounds and does not want to follow along with the class when we
are doing whole group activities.
We are working on following directions with the whole class because not
much can be taught until that happens. He does have a difficult time
listening and staying tuned in with the class. can see that he is very
capable of doing the work. We started reading groups and it will help to
do small group instruction.
I always see him playing, so maybe there is not a"best friend", but there
is kids that he is playing with. sometimes kids don't have that until
they are older. Let's get together sometime and talk about SON'S NAMEand
how we can work together to help him learn at his optimum.

I'm planning to meet with her soon, but as a single mother, I'm feeling very lost, overwhelmed, and frustrated. I'm already looking into local help groups, and testing through his school, but can anyone give me some advice on what else I can do to help my son? Thanks for any advice.

KWilliams
Old 09-03-04, 09:18 PM
ADDvanced Member

sLiPpY is on a distinguished road
I'm 37 and I still make strange sounds. As does my nephew, who's now thirteen and also has ADD. What's really amazing to me, is that kid makes the same strange sounds as me. : )

Your child is fortunate to have a mother like you...one who is concerned and seeking answers.

This may be something you are already doing...but the best thing my parents did for me, and it wasn't a consious thing. Is an old fashioned high protein breakfast, with no orange juice, Pop Tarts, Sugared cereals, or Jam. Just plain jane eggs, bacon/sausage and milk.

It may be something that you're already doing...and even as an adult it's been the most helpful thing for me. Granted I don't have a lot of time in the mornings, so I nuke egg beaters...and grab two slices of Canadian Bacon, plus some V8 Juice.

But I truly believe, I'd done less well at school...had it not been for that old fashioned high dose of protein.
Old 09-03-04, 10:02 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Garry has disabled reputation
Sorry wrong place to post

cant delete it

Just edit it

I am ------------ ADD
Addaptable, Directed, Determined

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-04, 11:12 AM

kwilliams is on a distinguished road
Thanks for responding sLiPpY. It has been hard for us to get a good breakfast in the mornings, since we are always in such a rush. He normally eats oatmeal, cereal, or cereal bars (for those certain mornings), but in general he's a great eater. He always prefers fruit over junk food, and he's got a great appetite.

But I'll definitely have to think of some new ideas (including your suggestions) on how I can better that situation. I love him SO MUCH, and I just want him to learn and be happy. You'd never think that could be so difficult for a little boy. Anyway, thanks.