ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Concerta
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Concerta (methylphenidate) Time released Ritalin - 10 hour long acting tablet.

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-09, 07:24 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

crazycat1990 is just really nicecrazycat1990 is just really nicecrazycat1990 is just really nicecrazycat1990 is just really nice
Re: Concerta...What is it?

Got my ADHD diagnosis today DX'd with combined type.

Been put on Concerta XL 18mg, start them tomorrow!

"You laugh bec[color=Blue][size=1]ause I'm different. I laugh because you're all the same."

"Be crazy because there's no time to be cool."

"Don't follow in my footsteps, I run into walls."

Old 08-26-09, 10:57 PM
Jr Member

Koric is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by boodlefish View Post
h
@ Andrew:
I don’t want to start any problems but "Dr. Weathers" is a Quack! I suffer from a proven neurological disorder, and thanks to people like Dr. Weathers, I also suffer a barrage of eye rolling followed by “isn’t that just an excuse?” I can’t concentrate on “video games, TV shows, a normal length movie, a game of ping pong…” any better then I can concentrate on “undesirable” tasks.
Yes, I understand there is a general lack of discipline in our country, and many parents actively seek excuses for their children. But I am not a parent making excuses; I am an adult who feels guilty for not being “motivated enough to concentrate.”

Please excuse the rant… I know it is not necessarily your viewpoint; Dr Weathers just gets under my skin!

I completely agree. looking at his website, his intro has things like this: "Be forewarned that ADD is not a real disease, but rather a contrived illusion of a disease, a marketplace tool...it remains an illusion of a disease--a powerful, dangerous illusion."

Dr. Weathers promotes an idea that keeps people affected by ADHD from getting help they may very well need. Yes, a lot of people can be misdiagnosed with ADHD, but you don't throw the baby out with the bathwater! I just find it annoying that we are citing as a source for information a guy who essentially accuses this entire forum and everyone on it of being liars.

On another note about Concerta, is there any source that shows the release mechanism and timings/percentages of the different releases? I know that there is an outer coating of instant release methylphenidate, but nowhere seems to put that in writing.
Old 10-02-09, 12:31 AM
Jr Member

esskay is on a distinguished road

Hi Koric:

I don't know if you found the answer to your question about the release timing(s) and mechanisms for Concerta, but have you tried Wikipedia? I used it to look up Adderall, and it does mention Concerta and the time release thing, as well as links to a more in-depth article about the med. If I remember correctly it does describe how it works.

Esskay
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-10, 02:09 PM

tom byron is on a distinguished road

I found a site about adhd and adhd drugs. hope it will become useful for all of you. it helped me.

Last edited by chips; 02-12-10 at 07:31 PM.. Reason: Link removed violation of forum guidelines
Old 05-09-10, 05:30 PM

257x50 is on a distinguished road

God do I feel like a freak.

There is a little restaurant where I would eat breakfast on weekends. The owner knew how I like my meal cooked.

Nothing to read handy in the car so I took the paperwork that comes with my meds, Concerta 75 mg, twice daily.

Read it before didn't pay much attention, DUH!!!

I read the phrase"appitite suprfession" and said "well that didn't take!!!" the owner and I just cracked up. Blow milk out your nose laughing.

Why??

She had just put down the second half of my order, same as the first: Five eggs, over easy, order of bacon, kinda rare, rye toast, large orange juice.

Am I only one who eats on meds?

I am 6' 4". 195 lbs, 175 lbs before meds..................
Old 05-21-10, 11:53 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Werl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to behold

Interesting, concerta is used as an apatite in some south/central American countries. Also, anyone have dizziness upon standing or walking.

A teenage male from central Alberta, diagnosed with ADHD, borderline Aspergers, and a non verbal learning disorder.
Old 05-24-10, 07:49 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Werl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werl View Post
Interesting, concerta is used as an apatite in some south/central American countries. Also, anyone have dizziness upon standing or walking.
My bad, for forgot to add suppressor. after apatite.

A teenage male from central Alberta, diagnosed with ADHD, borderline Aspergers, and a non verbal learning disorder.
Old 07-26-10, 06:43 PM
Contributor

aarondev will become famous soon enough

@257x50

You gained 20lbs more because of WHAT you're eating, less that you are so much more hungry.

May want to check the Paleo Diet, not thats its not practicable but its more that the food you're eating is very high fat and high calorie, not to mention high cholestoral. You may for starters want to not fry all your food - since that ads fat. A 10 minute chat with your GP about food you eat (or listed above) will corroborate everything I'm saying.
Old 09-27-10, 08:43 PM

LunaLovegood is on a distinguished road

Even with video games I can't pay attention for long... The only thing I can really do for more than 15 minutes is outdoor stuff, like swimming or climbing a tree...or talking (but I have to be doing something while I talk).

So I'm not the only one who loses their appetite! But I don't get it back that well at night. I mean, it's better, but not by much.

About how much Concerta do most people take? My doctor just recently upped me to 36mg (two 18mg), and it still isn't helping much. I only notice it a tiny bit.
Old 11-16-10, 04:43 PM
Jr Member

Katie88 is on a distinguished road

Does anyone get a weird almost head ache at the end of the 10 hour period??? I feel like each night since I started I get a weird almost nagging head ache that isn't serious, it's just BARELY there and feels almost like a caffein withdrawl or something??? Is it from the medication or most likely from the not eating all day???? lol
Old 03-11-11, 02:38 PM

Jaydens_Mom is on a distinguished road

lol i notice a lot of ppl are claiming they don't feel hungry during the day and eat like pigs at night....

thankfully my son doesn't seem to be having this issue. I always have packed him HUGE lunches and they're still coming home devoured ( empty lunch bag )!

he just eats like a pig all day long lol, thank goodness for his fast metabolism, wish i could be so lucky.
Old 03-11-11, 05:28 PM
ADDvanced Member

MrObvious is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie88 View Post
Does anyone get a weird almost head ache at the end of the 10 hour period??? I feel like each night since I started I get a weird almost nagging head ache that isn't serious, it's just BARELY there and feels almost like a caffein withdrawl or something??? Is it from the medication or most likely from the not eating all day???? lol
Probably a combination of both and also maybe you aren't getting enough water. You might try eating a tad more food than you feel like and see if it helps. Plus when the meds start to wear off maybe drink some water (a quart if you can) and see if it helps. It could be partly dehydration. It's very similar to coffee crash as both are stimulants.
Old 06-07-11, 01:03 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

tambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of light

Wow, how is this a "good description" of Concerta. Time released kiddie cocaine? Really? WTF? I understand the similarities between cocaine and methyphenidate but the constant comparisons in this article are a little disturbing. This doctor is a whack job. "Put you kids on time released blow or buy my material. You're the parent, make the call. You can trust me. I'm a doctor"

Stupid...

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
The Following User Says Thank You to tambourine-man For This Useful Post:
danicole (10-24-11)
Old 10-24-11, 02:57 PM
Jr Member

danicole is on a distinguished road

hahaaa! agreed "kiddie cocaine" wtf?! lol! and, with my meds, i still eat all day, not just at night, i have lost 4 lbs, but i dont feel THATS a huge deal...
Old 10-24-11, 04:10 PM
ADDvanced Member

Nnnnnn has a spectacular aura aboutNnnnnn has a spectacular aura about

I took a look at his site... what a load of sh*t.
Closed Thread