ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Concerta
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Concerta (methylphenidate) Time released Ritalin - 10 hour long acting tablet.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 11-26-17, 10:42 AM
aeon's Avatar
aeon aeon is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: The North...Minnesota!
Posts: 9,051
Thanks: 26,405
Thanked 14,992 Times in 6,696 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 108 mg of Concerta. Tolerance is a factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by namazu View Post
Not many anecdotes, aeon? Only if you ignore the ones that you've been blithely dismissing left and right...
I haven't ignored or dismissed them. I simply know the plural of anecdote is not data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by namazu View Post
But in general, there's a lack of good data on tolerance. (This provides no basis for the premise that it occurs frequently, but it also provides no basis for the premise that tolerance doesn't occur or is rare at therapeutic doses.)
There seems to be a good amount of data on tolerance as it regards abuse/non-clinical use, and what you said in parentheses is reasonable and fair.


Cheers,
Ian
__________________
@>~,~~'~ Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
“Well, look who I ran into,” crowed Coincidence. “Please,” flirted Fate, “this was meant to be.”
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
namazu (11-26-17)
  #17  
Old 11-26-17, 11:01 AM
namazu's Avatar
namazu namazu is online now
Contrapunctual Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Northern Hemisphere
Posts: 15,255
Thanks: 68,163
Thanked 22,055 Times in 11,124 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 108 mg of Concerta. Tolerance is a factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeon View Post
I haven't ignored or dismissed them. I simply know the plural of anecdote is not data.
Do you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeon
If there was an issue, we'd hear lots of anecdotes about it.
You suggested that a(n imagined!) dearth of reports suggests the absence of the phenomenon.

EDIT: Nevermind that... Does anyone have any constructive suggestions for the OP?

Last edited by namazu; 11-26-17 at 11:18 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-26-17, 11:24 AM
aeon's Avatar
aeon aeon is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: The North...Minnesota!
Posts: 9,051
Thanks: 26,405
Thanked 14,992 Times in 6,696 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 108 mg of Concerta. Tolerance is a factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by namazu View Post
Do you?
There's no need to be condescending or engage in the taunting of someone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by namazu View Post
You suggested that a(n imagined!) dearth of reports suggests the absence of the phenomenon.
Yes, do think it suggests it, but I'm not asserting that as truth, and I don't believe anything one way or the other.

Which is quite unlike the assertion and belief of our original poster.


Cheers,
Ian
__________________
@>~,~~'~ Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
“Well, look who I ran into,” crowed Coincidence. “Please,” flirted Fate, “this was meant to be.”
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #19  
Old 03-05-18, 06:55 PM
Bellena411 Bellena411 is offline
Newbie
 

Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Western New York
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bellena411 is on a distinguished road
Re: 108 mg of Concerta. Tolerance is a factor.

I just found this forum and I am glad to see a thread about this particular topic. Tolerance is 100% an issue and I am currently dealing with it for the first time and I am terrified. It is so nice to have found people like myself.

I was diagnosed around 12 years old and after seeing therapists, counselors, psychs, doctors, and trying different dosages of medication, I eventually settled on 72 mg of Concerta (generic) once daily for the last 8-9 years. Now, all of a sudden, I feel like my medication is ineffective.

I can say that in the past based on sleep or stress there were days where it was less effective than others, but overall it was consistent. I've had experiences with taking half a dose due to pharmacy issues (you all know how difficult these controlled substances can be) so I am aware of what a lesser or ineffective dose feels like and that's how I feel suddenly now but worse.

I take my medication in the morning like always and it does nothing basically. All morning throughout my college classes I hear the teachers talking but now it sounds like they are from Charlie Brown, and for the first time in my life I ran out of time on a test. By the afternoon and evening there have been no improvements. I'm fidgeting which I haven't done since I was a child and I'm having vision problems which only happens when my medication isn't right—things are fuzzy almost like they are moving because my brain can't focus on fixating them into one spot (that's the best way I can describe it).

I'm terrified to try a new medicine because I know it will be a process and I'm a 4.0 student finishing up Junior year of college and this isn't a convenient time in my life for me to not feel like me.

I'm considering switching to Vyvanse which I was against trying because my own meds worked good until now and I knew it would be a difficult mental journey to switch, and I know that Vyvanse has a higher copay than my generic Concerta. Now it looks like I will have to to preserve my mental and emotional stability.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this? I suppose that 8-9 years is a good long run on a medication before tolerance built up but the fact that this switch happened so suddenly and has effected me so hard so fast is truly devastating me.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-05-18, 10:25 PM
Lunacie's Avatar
Lunacie Lunacie is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: south-central Kansas
Posts: 20,370
Thanks: 22,601
Thanked 27,903 Times in 12,954 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 108 mg of Concerta. Tolerance is a factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookKeeper View Post
You must find a lot of posts on this forum "odd" because I think the general assumption when people create a thread on this forum is that those people aren't trained experts in the subjects they discuss, or have opinions on. No my position is not "arbitrary." I don't claim to know all the facts, but to the extent of my knowledge and experience so far I can argue that the issue of tolerance is more prevalent of a problem than what you claimed it to be, that is when you stated that tolerance is unlikely when taken properly. You could even hypothesize that the prevalences could be a reason why this problem is "overaddressed".

There is plenty of scientific studies done regarding the issues of tolerance along with plenty of people having this same problem. The problem isn't that there isn't data to support tolerance issues. The problem is that those articles aren't being taken more seriously into consideration to influence broader prescribing policies, or other methods of dealing with tolerance when such problems occur in a patient like myself.

In response to your comment Little Missy I did not mean to come across as being smart when I mentioned that Aeon's dosage likely wasn't started at 108 mg. My intention was to bring attention to the idea that Aeon's dose was titrated up to 108 mg as a result of tolerance developing on the lower doses. If this assumption is correct I am less convinced by your argument Aeon when you advocate that tolerance isn't a problem, or if it isn't the answer still remain indefinite.

In response to Fraser_0762:
Im aware of the "honey-moon feeling" I assure you that I'm not chasing a high sensation from the medication, though I am chasing a certain satisfactory level of symptom relief. I'm not sure how you would describe that without referring to it as a feeling. My core symptom that I want addressed is my ability to have control over my comprehension when someone is speaking. I am open to the idea that you could be right, and that maybe it is a sensation I shouldn't expect out of my treatment.
Tolerance isn't the only reason for increasing the dosage.

The recommended practice is to start a dose that is probably too low and then
increase it until the patient feels it's working the best, or until the side effects
are too much to handle and then back off on the dose until they side effects
are bearable and outweighed by the benefits.

No one seems to know why some people manage beautifully on the same dose
for years, or why at some point it stops working so well ... while others need
regular increases to keep the benefit going.

After being on this forum for many years now, I can only say that I've seen
more posts complaining about the benefits not lasting a full day than that some
tolerance has been reached.

I really haven't seen that many posters with genuine concerns about building
tolerance to meds ... rather than simply expecting the "feeling" to last, not
just the euphoria, but the fantastic feeling of finally being able to focus long
enough to sit through a whole movie.

Even neurotypicals have times when that focus just isn't there. We can't count
on the meds as a guarantee that we'll always have that lovely focus.
__________________
ADD is not a problem of knowing what to do; it is a problem of doing what you know.
-RUSSELL A. BARKLEY, PH.D.


As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
aeon (03-05-18)
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Memantine for Concerta tolerance? Babylon5 Concerta 2 10-07-14 11:52 PM
Methylphenidate IR better than Concerta? JenSMP Concerta 7 06-22-13 10:32 PM
A theory as to why many people don't respond to Concerta alanreyes Concerta 12 11-13-12 04:18 AM
transitioning to adderall from concerta hollywood Adderall 2 05-15-09 03:40 PM
Five Factor Model of personality test gabriela Chit-Chat 16 06-18-07 09:46 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) 2003 - 2015 ADD Forums