ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Concerta
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Concerta (methylphenidate) Time released Ritalin - 10 hour long acting tablet.

Old 08-05-16, 11:30 AM

rosieposie is on a distinguished road
10 hour migraine

I've been taking 27mg concerta daily for 4 weeks and have experienced no side-effects except brain tenderness in the evenings.

Last night around the time it wore off I developed an excruciating migraine which lasted many, many hours. The worst pain I've ever been in by a very wide margin. Terrifying for me because I get headaches often and usually know how to relax enough to fall asleep. Not this time! I was locked on my couch staring at the floor for 10 hours. Disassociation, left blindness and numb fingers joined in a couple times too.

So. Nope! No more concerta for me! But it worked really well otherwise. Can anyone suggest something similar without the brain pain?

Also, should I be seriously worried about this side effect, or is this a common extreme?
The Following User Says Thank You to rosieposie For This Useful Post:
aeon (08-05-16)
Old 08-05-16, 12:08 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 14,992 Times in 6,696 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 10 hour migraine

That is very unlikely to be a side-effect from Concerta, and given your description,
you need to have a medical consult as soon as possible.

As in, had I been with you, I would have driven you to the ER/A&E immediately.

I don’t mean to worry you, but those are neurological signs that must be evaluated
by a medical professional. It could be benign, and it could be serious. I urge you to
find out so you can make choices in your best interest going forward.

And welcome to the Forums!

Well-Wishes,
Ian
The Following User Says Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (08-05-16)
Old 08-05-16, 12:11 PM

Thanked 23,411 Times in 12,488 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

You my need to drink a LOT more water. Aeon's right. Should have gone to the ER.

Usually a shot of morphine does the trick.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
aeon (08-05-16)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-16, 01:19 PM

Thanked 27,885 Times in 12,948 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

I also would have taken you to the ER / A&E.

At this point I strongly recommend you talk to the doctor who prescribed the Concerta.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
aeon (08-05-16)
Old 08-10-16, 03:25 PM

rosieposie is on a distinguished road

Thank you very much for your responses! I'll talk with my doctor about it and get his opinion.