ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Concerta
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Concerta (methylphenidate) Time released Ritalin - 10 hour long acting tablet.

Old 10-28-13, 03:12 PM

devlost is on a distinguished road
1 week in, back in hell

So I started taking Concerta last Monday. I had the initial speediness of it, but with the beneficial effects, then a couple of days in the euphoria went and I could just function, it was awesome. Of all the things that I didn't expect to go away so quickly, I stopped hating myself, I just felt normal.

By Saturday I was feeling almost exactly like I used to, I just about had a bit more focus but I was tired more than usual. Yesterday I was completely back to normal and today I was all over the place.

I know that the initial effects will wear off as your body adapts and when I was at the ADHD clinc I was told that after a month if I wasn't experiencing any positive effects (but was experiencing no negative effects) then I would need to double my dosage and call them to get my prescription increased but this just seems to quick. Has anyone else experienced this quick a change?

I'm on 18mg a day and I weigh about 19 stone (266 lbs) if that's relevant.

I want to call the clinic and ask if I can up my dosage already but I have no idea if this is some kind of bounce-back and it will start working again at some point.

After a week of not feeling like this, being back here is just hell.
Old 11-05-13, 01:05 PM

Keyres is on a distinguished road
Re: 1 week in, back in hell

I recently started Concerta as well, and experienced something similar. The first few days were amazing, I was super productive and felt like I could do anything (plus awesome euphoria and a general sense of amazingness), and then all of a sudden for two days it was back to the way it was before I started taking the medication (plus some intense stomach aches). And then it sort of evened out after that, so that now when I take the medication I feel no effects, but I know it's working because my house is sparkling clean and I'm no longer super stressed about all the things I have to do at work because I am no longer putting them off until the last minute. Also, people close to me who don't even know I've been taking medication (or that I was even diagnosed with adhd) have been commenting on my lack fidgeting and leg bouncing while sitting in one spot.

So I would say to wait it out another week and see if it evens out for you. Because I know that those two days when it wasn't working for me (and giving me stomach pain) I really wanted to change my dosage too, but I stuck it out and it ended up working really well for me.
Old 11-07-13, 03:19 PM

devlost is on a distinguished road
Re: 1 week in, back in hell

Thanks, it does seem to have gotten better than it was but the effect is still very much lessened. I'm less desperate to increase my dosage now, but I still think it might be necessary at some point. I'll wait until my month is up and then see.

Again, thanks.
Sponsored Links