ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Concerta
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Concerta (methylphenidate) Time released Ritalin - 10 hour long acting tablet.

Old 03-29-10, 01:31 PM

DJ Doors will become famous soon enough
1st day of concerta

Hi, first I'd like to introduce myself as DJ doors. I have just recently been diagnosed with ADHD and GAD and was just started on concerta 18mg. I've been reading this forum ever since I was diagnosed to see what I should expect and how other peoples experiences have been. I know everyone has different reactions to the drug, but I'd like to see what you all think about my 1st day on concerta.

My psych told me that the concerta would certainly work right away and told me the doc would probably put me on 36mg(I'm 125 ibs.). Well when I get to the doc she puts me on 18mg, which I realize is the starting dose, and told me that side effects could be insomnia, lack of appetite, weight loss etc... Well I hadn't felt any difference in my focus for my 1st 2 periods of school but thought maybe it's because those are easier classes, I knew the real test would be math around 10 o'clock. Unfortunately, I noticed absolutely no difference in the class I felt my ADHD was affecting me most in which greatly dissappointed me. By 11:45, I was also rather tired and was able to eat a full lunch. Now it's 1:30 and I'm ready to take a nap and pretty darn hungry, also, I know people say they turn into "zombies" and I definitly felt off socially today.

Can anyone relate to this or give me some insight into what is going on?
Old 03-29-10, 02:27 PM
ADDvanced Member

chronological has a spectacular aura aboutchronological has a spectacular aura about
Re: 1st day of concerta

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Doors View Post
Can anyone relate to this or give me some insight into what is going on?
Hi DJ, yes the effect of the meds appears to be very dose-related, and also varies from person to person. Your experience is common (at least among people who post here). And your psych is right - the meds will work right away. So if they're not working right away, they're not working period (at that dose anyway).

Let your doc "titrate" your dose up, and give him or her as much feedback as you can about the effects (or lack thereof). I'm finding it useful to keep a blog, but you don't have to do that.

Based on my own experience, my main advice would be to not be afraid to conclude that the dose you are on is simply not working. You shouldn't have to work hard to convince yourself they're having a good effect. My experience, on Concerta but not Adderall, is that the effect is not subtle when it's there. FYI - I'm new to Concerta and am working with my doc in the 36mg to 72mg range. 36mg is not completely non-effective -- it's certainly better than Adderall -- but it's not nearly enough for me to be able to say it's what I need. Based on that, 18mg would, I reckon, have no noticeable effect on me. I'm a lot bigger than you, but bodyweight does not appear to be the only factor affecting dose.

As I say, observe yourself, maintain a healthy level of skepticism and don't be steamrollered into acknowledging the benefits when they ain't there, and let your doc be your friend. And don't wait a full month before going back to check dose sufficiency. You may get fed up and start doubting the whole meds route completely. I know I was tending towards that when I was trying the Adderall "tic tacs" :-)

Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to chronological For This Useful Post:
DJ Doors (03-29-10)
Old 03-29-10, 04:19 PM

Thank you very much, that helped a lot. I am just worried that I don't want to seem to nagging or impatient but at the same time if I'm told I don't have to wait I feel that I shouldn't. I'm certainly going to give the doc a call right away
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-10, 05:58 PM
ADDvanced Member

chronological has a spectacular aura aboutchronological has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Thank you very much, that helped a lot. I am just worried that I don't want to seem to nagging or impatient but at the same time if I'm told I don't have to wait I feel that I shouldn't. I'm certainly going to give the doc a call right away
OK, so now I feel a bit bad for maybe egging you on a *little* bit too quickly. If this is just day 1, and if it's your first experience of ADD meds, I'd give it three days, say, ideally five. Then call the doc.

There are two reasons. First, your reaction will vary from day to day, so in that respect just because it didn't have an effect today doesn't mean it won't tomorrow. You need to get a feeling for yourself as well as for the meds. That takes some time. I waited nine days with Adderall, but then only three with Concerta. I knew I could conclude "nothing" more quickly on Concerta because I'd given myself time on Adderall.

The second reason is less important in theory but, sadly, much more important in practice. You need to give your doc time to get to know you in the context of taking schedule II meds. They'll be on the look out for "abuse" of these meds, so you need to let their confidence in you grow as your own confidence grows too. Docs (medical and otherwise) are only human, and they are rightly afraid of hysterical governments who hold the key to their ability to practice medicine.

So, if you haven't phone them yet, I'd counsel waiting a day or three more. Unless of course they're already your best buddy and also you do have prior experience of these kinds of meds.

If you have phoned and they've told you to calm down and be patient, sorry
Old 03-29-10, 06:48 PM

Ha it's ok I called and left a message already, it's not your fault. Technically it's not my "first day" I actually started on Friday or Saturday?? But it's the first day were I've used it in the school atmosphere were it should help.
Old 04-01-10, 12:29 AM

ADDP2 is on a distinguished road

I've known for a couple years I had ADD (after my kids were diagnosed) but only went to the Dr. and started on meds a month ago. I started on Concerta because thats what worked for my son.

My Dr. wrote me a prescription for 18MG and just had me take 1 for 3 days and if no effect take 2 for 3 days and if no effect...etc up to 4.

After about a week of carefully observing myself I got to the 54Mg dose and what I discovered was this:

Besides some of the minor physical effects like not being hungry at lunch and feeling a little bit more energetic than usual I didn't really notice anything - until I tried to do something I normally could not. I tried to write a paper - a long one that takes pages and pages and revisions etc. I felt no different except I looked up at the clock and realized that I'd been working an hour and hadn't even THOUGHT about anything but what I was actually working on. Something I don't EVER recall feeling my 40+ years of life.

I haven't tried 72Mg because 54 seems to work for me. After taking this dose for about 2 weeks now I don't even notice I took the meds (I actually SWORE the other day that I left them on the counter at home) until I try to do something that DEMANDS some focus.

This is how it works for me and I guess this is how it's supposed to work. I obviously can't speak for anyone else.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ADDP2 For This Useful Post:
chronological (04-01-10), DJ Doors (04-02-10), ilovemusic (07-07-11)
Old 04-01-10, 09:47 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDP2 View Post
After about a week of carefully observing myself I got to the 54Mg dose and what I discovered was this ... I didn't really notice anything - until I tried to do something I normally could not. I tried to write a paper - a long one that takes pages and pages and revisions etc. I felt no different except I looked up at the clock and realized that I'd been working an hour and hadn't even THOUGHT about anything but what I was actually working on. Something I don't EVER recall feeling my 40+ years of life.
Very good. I think I can see something similar. I mused that this might be a factor to bear in mind here: http://addorbs.blogspot.com/2010/03/add-and-ed.html
The Following User Says Thank You to chronological For This Useful Post:
DJ Doors (04-02-10)
Old 04-02-10, 12:44 PM

Well I called my psych and she said to continue on my dose and she'll call my doctor. This week will determine what happens overall...

That is a helpful link. I agree with the whole stimulus needing to be there. For me ithought my stimulus would be school but still I felt no effect
Old 04-02-10, 03:21 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Well I called my psych and she said to continue on my dose and she'll call my doctor. This week will determine what happens overall...

That is a helpful link. I agree with the whole stimulus needing to be there. For me ithought my stimulus would be school but still I felt no effect
An update on this. While I do agree that the stimulus is a factor, it's worth noting that I've seen an attention improvement with Concerta while Adderall failed *on the same tasks*.

So, as I've said before, sometimes the meds are failing because the meds are failing (either completely, or at the dose in question).
Old 04-03-10, 05:21 PM

In regards to having a stimulus, today I think I may have found what concerta works on for me. I played tennis for 2 hours and basketball for 2 hours, and my mind didn't stray during that time- I was on task only thinking about what I was doing and my mind didn't wander. However, when I wasn't playing I felt kind of up and down in regards to my mood and psyche. It feels harsh
Old 04-03-10, 11:00 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
In regards to having a stimulus, today I think I may have found what concerta works on for me. I played tennis for 2 hours and basketball for 2 hours, and my mind didn't stray during that time- I was on task only thinking about what I was doing and my mind didn't wander. However, when I wasn't playing I felt kind of up and down in regards to my mood and psyche. It feels harsh
Sorry to hear that. My own experience is that I feel "primed" for focus throughout the day, regardless of what I'm doing. It only dies away when the meds wear off completely (like they have done now).
Old 04-03-10, 11:23 PM

How did you feel on concerta vs. adderall chronological?? I know everyone is different, but just curious
Old 04-04-10, 05:27 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Scooter77 has much to be proud ofScooter77 has much to be proud ofScooter77 has much to be proud ofScooter77 has much to be proud ofScooter77 has much to be proud ofScooter77 has much to be proud ofScooter77 has much to be proud ofScooter77 has much to be proud ofScooter77 has much to be proud of

I find concerta improves my mood considerably (I have social anxiety), boosts my confidence and allows me to focus for hours on end! I got to a point where I was used to it and I didnt think it was doing anything anymore so I tried not taking it......lol! It certainly does do something!!
Old 04-04-10, 03:17 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
How did you feel on concerta vs. adderall chronological?? I know everyone is different, but just curious
Adderall was completely useless for me, other than a few minor side effects (e.g. some appetite suppression) -- that's why I'm now trying Concerta.

I titrated Adderall up from 10mg a day to 2 x 20mg a day (one am, one pm). Nothing -- not the slightest cognitive benefit. Made me begin to doubt the whole idea of meds and ADD.

Concerta has been dramatically (and positively) different.
Old 04-05-10, 11:00 PM

My psych called me today. She said that my doctor put me on such a low does because she wanted to see how I'd handle it due to having anxiety as well as ADHD. She said they will be upping my dose to 36mg