ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Concerta
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Concerta (methylphenidate) Time released Ritalin - 10 hour long acting tablet.

Old 02-05-08, 09:28 AM

Crimsoneer is on a distinguished road
"That Eureka moment"?

Hi all, I was diagnosed with ADHD inatentive last semester just before winter break, and started meds last week...So far, I started on 18mg concerta, and was just upped to 36. I have a question though: from what I hear, shorter term meds (aderall, ritalin) may give you a boost to motivation that concerta doesn't due to its long term release system. If so, is there a sure fire way of knowing whether its working?
So far, whilst I have been feeling a bit different, there definitely isn't an alleviating of my ADHD symptoms, but then again, its entirely possible that seeing i'm on of the most unmotivated people on the face of the planet, I may simply not be noticing?
Old 02-06-08, 05:50 PM

Re: "That Eureka moment"?

Sorry about the bump, but I also have some random information.
I'm now slightly less skeptical about the efficiency of concerta, as I have been going to my classes a lot more this week. Last summer, I simply couldn't be bothered to make 3/4 of them, and yet didn't miss a single one this week. However, I really haven't noticed any improvements: my concentration in class is still pretty dissapointing, and I still fall asleep if I try to read anything boring for more than 5 minutes, nor have I been able to study for more than 10 or so minutes. Is concerta not working, or am I simply missing something?

I also did something which may have been incredibly stupid Monday night, and took a 18mg pill around 7pm, after two 18 that morning at 9. Well, I definitly felt the meds doing something, but when I actually tried to sit down and study, I immediatly felt drowsy. I decided to go to bed around 11, and yet couldn't actually sleep till 3.

Opinions/comments?
Old 02-08-08, 08:07 AM
Contributor

Fuse has a spectacular aura aboutFuse has a spectacular aura about

Ritalin/Concerta doesn't work perfectly for everybody. Experiment with Strattera and amphetamines (dex, Adderall) if problems with Ritalin persist.

You should definitely be feeling a 'focusing'/'slowing' of the mind. Some people describe it as your brain slowing down and thinking about only one thing at a time.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-08, 11:22 AM

Well, I was just put on 54mg concerta, with a 10mg ritalin booster later in the afternoon....Hope this works.
Old 03-03-08, 09:43 PM

beash is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimsoneer View Post
Well, I was just put on 54mg concerta, with a 10mg ritalin booster later in the afternoon....Hope this works.
How's that working out for you?