ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Concerta
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Concerta (methylphenidate) Time released Ritalin - 10 hour long acting tablet.

Old 01-25-06, 07:10 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Scattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to all
Zita, I would agree with the counsel to check with your doctor. If it was prescribed to be taken twice a day, that is probably the safest and most effective way. There is a window of effectiveness and under or over that window you're not effectively treating your ADD symptoms. You don't want to take a chance of damaging your heart with an stimulent overdose.

Scattered

"You're slow because you don't listen and you're forgetful!" - 7th grade friend
Old 09-22-06, 09:51 PM

chri55y is on a distinguished road
I was prescribed Concerta last year this time starting at lowest dose up to 144mg/day. By late November last year I started to experience psychosis. It started with Paranoia, then hallucinations, and then auditory hallucinations. By mid April I had hallucinations and auditory hallucinations lasting 4 days. I didn't sleep for over 3 days until I finally was admitted to Hospital. At first I didn't really notice the Paranoia until February or March. Family just shrugged it off as, "oh, stop being so paranoid". So, I figured ok, well, maybe I am being paranoid and tried to convince myself the paranoia didn't exist. But by late March I new something was wrong. Even before taking the 144mg I told my doctor it seems high and the dose I was at, 7? mg/day was enough. My physician consulted with the psychiatrist who initially prescribed Concerta, who said he consulted with his peers and it would be ok, and to continue the gradual increase until I reach the 144mg/day. Now, I am taking Atypical antipsychotics, and an Epileptic medication, and the Concerta has been reduced to 54mg/day. I wish I could go back in time and insist on staying at the 7? mb/day dose, because my life has changed dramatically.
Old 09-22-06, 11:03 PM

simbryo is on a distinguished road
it annoys me so much that these threads keep popping up and that people will engage the posters in discussion about the issue. what the op did was stupid and illegal. actions such as this are part of the reason it's such a pain for us to get our medicines.

make no mistake about it, that was a potentially fatal dose and you're lucky that nothing worse happened. if you want to know what to expect or if you've caused damaged (and you actually could have damaged your heart), then talk to a doctor.

please everyone, don't encourage people who post this stuff by responding to it.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-06, 01:17 AM
Contributor

selby will become famous soon enough
This post makes me sooo angry.

My psych is such a nice guy, and says that he sees college kids come in "all the time" trying to get Concerta, but 80% of them, they have no signs of ADD at all. The fact that there's so many of these type of people out there taking up a doctor's time, when someone who actually has ADD could be using that time to get help, is frustrating.

I can't believe you had the nerve to come in here..
Old 10-09-06, 09:19 PM
Contributor

attention is an unknown quantity at this point
"My psych is such a nice guy, and says that he sees college kids come in "all the time" trying to get Concerta"-i thought thoes who wanted stimulants to abuse/study with, would want IR methylphenidate, or Adderall/Dexedrine?

Concerta was DESIGNED to be less abuseable and last longer.
Old 10-10-06, 01:59 PM

sd2001 is on a distinguished road
That doesn't mean that college kids won't still want them. I have friends working on advanced degrees that have BEGGED me for a few Concerta or Adderall pills (I never give in) because they help them with the long cramming sessions.