ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Concerta
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Concerta (methylphenidate) Time released Ritalin - 10 hour long acting tablet.

Old 06-01-13, 06:47 PM

crosslight is on a distinguished road
18 mg concerta

Hi, I've recently been prescribed 27mg concerta (18mg for a week and then 27mg) for my ADD after having tried Ritalin, Strattera and Vyvanse in the past. I also take 10mg cipralex for anxiety/depression.

The first day and second day of taking it I noticed a huge improvement in my focus and my overall mood seemed a lot more stable than usual, the drug also seemed to last a lot longer than the other ADD medications I've tried and I did not notice any crash. However, the third, fourth and fifth day (today) the effect of the drug has been the total opposite, I can feel it for a few hours after taking it, but after that I notice an awful crash and I'm extremely irritable and I don't feel like doing anything.

This is nothing new though, very similar things happened with the other meds I have tried, works for a few days.. no noticeable crash, and then after that I still notice the drug works, but I start having awful crashes when it wears off that last hours. My body really seems to hate this type of medication.

Has anyone else has similar issues with these meds? Could the cipralex be the cause of this? I really don't know. This medication helps me a ton when it's in effect but if I'm going to be experiencing these crashes daily if I keep taking it then it's probably not worth it.

Thanks for reading.
Old 06-01-13, 08:00 PM

josh989 will become famous soon enough
Re: 18 mg concerta

I was on cipralex for a year but wasn't on any ADD meds at that time. I've only tried vyvanse and concerta, but I found vyvanse significantly more effective and longer lasting. Concerta gave a much worse crash than vyvanse. Very irritable and an underlying feeling of sad/emptiness.

From my experience with cipralex it gives you a dull/drained feeling, like you're in a semi-daze. This might help with the anxiety side effects from ADD meds but it could also be causing you to feel less of the stimulation as well, which is the whole point of taking it in the first place. I hate cipralex and most other SSRIs. The most effective antidepressant I've tried is wellbutrin, and I hear it makes for a good combo with ADD.