ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Concerta
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Concerta (methylphenidate) Time released Ritalin - 10 hour long acting tablet.

Old 06-28-12, 10:01 AM
ADDvanced Member

choco222 is on a distinguished road
2 concerta questions.

I took concerta last year but it wasn't helping so I quit. Well turns out I had an iron deficiency so that might be the reason it wasn't helping. Now I'm trying it out again.

1) is it ok to take 54mg from the get-go? (that's what I took last time)

2) if I skip taking it on the weekend and than go out for a few drinks is that bad? (i'm of legal age)

thanks
Old 06-29-12, 07:42 PM
ADDvanced Member

starrykitten will become famous soon enough
Re: 2 concerta questions.

Re: your first question, are you starting w/ a dr's help or just restarting with an old bottle you have? I think most people would start on something lower, and especially if you have an iron deficiency that's affecting it, I'd recommend consulting a doctor or at least a pharmacist.

Re: your second question, the medical advice is, of course, to take it every day and not mix it with alcohol. Having said that, when I was on Concerta (which I didn't take every day at the time, just on days I was depressed), I would sometimes drink in moderation and have no bad side effects even if it was a day I'd taken the Concerta. So the official advice is not to do it. It didn't kill me in my experience, but I knew I was going against medical advice when I did it.
Old 06-29-12, 07:55 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,302 Times in 3,471 Posts
silivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2 concerta questions.

I'm with StarryKitten- make sure it's legit and all before you start- don't just pick up where you left off w/ an old bottle. But as far as the drinking, as long as you don't plan on getting **** faced, there shouldn't be a massive problem. I drank when I was only on Concerta w/ no ill effects. Toss Zoloft into the mix and it's a no-go, but it has nothing to do w/ Concerta.

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Sponsored Links