ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Dexedrine/Dextrostat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Dexedrine/Dextrostat (dextroamphetamine)

Old 03-24-09, 03:25 PM

Maverick420 has a spectacular aura aboutMaverick420 has a spectacular aura about
How to dose Dex

Hi,

I'm taking dextroamphetamine-drops since last Friday. Dex-Drops is the closet thing to Dexostrat you can get in Germany.

I work with my doc very closely and we came to the point where he said, that I will likely figure out what is the best dose and taking time for me.

The first two days were a great improvement. We started with 2x 5 mg (morning and noon) and it worked well.
What I notice is, that the 2nd dose works better and acts longer then the first one. Don't know why that is so. I also noticed, that I sleep better. This could be, because I have low dopmain-level at the morning and the Dex raises it over the day. Then, in the evening the level goes down and the Seroquel I have to take has to fight a lower Dopmain level.

On the 3rd day I noticed, that 5 mg as a first Dose is clearly not enough. So today I tried 8,35 mg in the morning, 5 mg 3 1/2 hours later. The first dose was working but to short. When dose wasn't working anymore, I waited around a hour because the course wasn't that important. The 5 mg I took then didn't work much. I clearly noticed, how I started to dream, how I was unable to listen what the teachear said. The different from beeing completyl off medication was, that I cared about that and tried to focus instead of playing with my iPhone all the time.

In the afternoon we had 3 hours of math. I called my doc and asked him, if I can raise the dose and he was like that I will figure out myself, what is the best for me.

As I noticed from reading and my experience, it takes around 40-60 minutes, unitl a dose is fully working. I decided to take 10 mg. Well, an hour later I wasn't to happy with the results. It was in some way better then the 5 mg but still not like I know it should be. Then maybe I made a mistake. I took another 5 mg an hour after I took the 10 mg.

I didn't notice much changes in the first hour after I took the 5 mg. Because the teacher had to leave to some important appointement, school was out earlier and then I noticed more weird effects.

First, in some way I was feeling like stimulant medication should work but I started to smoke a lot. When I was at home then, I clearly felt overmedicated. I have to add here, that I have much like zero side effects on these drops. My heartbeat is around like 82 on Dex, I'm able to eat without any problems and I also sleep better. What I felt was nervousness and I was a bit crabby. I stopped smoking cigarettes and my feelings improved but still, it was in some way strange.

Normally, I type very fast but now I was very slow and thinking a lot before I write something. I had a dry mouth (had this side only on the first two days) which says, that I have the dex in my system working.

Right now, around 5 1/2 hours after these 5 mg I still have these dry mouth and I feel in some way, that the Dex is working in my brain. Never felt that before and I don't know where to put this effect.

What I think know is the following: never redose so fast. The effects are maybe unpredictable and smoking and d-amphetamin can cause problems. I think, that maybe one cigarette all two hours possibly can boost the dex a bit but smoking to much causes for sure unwanted effects. I am even thinking of stopping smoking completly because I want, that the Dex works correctly. Effective ADD-Treatment is much more important then the cigarettes.

At the moment, I don't really know how to dose tomorrow. Maybe 12,5 mg as "kick start" and then 10 mg as the 2nd dose and leave it that way to see how my brain reacts.

Addiontally I will try to smoke less. It seems that this doesn't help my case.

Maybe someone with more experience on Dex has some tipps for me how to find the right dose. I know that in the end, it's all a matter of trial and error and every body has other reactions.

I read here, that someone had problems with 10-10-10-10 so he switched to 20-20 and this was fine now. So, maybe it could be, that in the end I need 15-15 or 12,5 - 12,5 or maybe 15-10-10 or 10-10

who knows
Old 03-24-09, 04:13 PM

Maverick420 has a spectacular aura aboutMaverick420 has a spectacular aura about
Re: How to dose Dex

Just wrote the mail-report to my doc and while I was writing, I clearly noticed two things: I really want to change what I eat and drink.

So much junk food, so much cola and unhealthy stuff. Bah. That can't be good for me.

Right now, I would really enjoy it to drink some apple juice but what I have is only damn Cola. Cola everywehere! And then, all that candy stuff I buy daily.

I really have to get rid from some bad habits and make an appointment with my dentist. Should have gone month's ago.

So, when this day helped me to recognize this, it was a very good one and really worth this little overstimulating effect.

What I found now is some tea, Vitamine-Tea.
Old 03-24-09, 09:13 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

ozchris is a glorious beacon of lightozchris is a glorious beacon of lightozchris is a glorious beacon of lightozchris is a glorious beacon of lightozchris is a glorious beacon of light

You've got the right idea! Proper nutrition and getting enough fluids is really important. IF I didn't eat when I was taking dex. I felt awful. Try eating breakfast with lots of protein, lunch, dinner and a healthy snack in between all those meals.

Sugar and caffeine make you feel ok for a while, but when they wear off you 'crash' to worse than before you had them. This can add to the negative dex. effects.

I'm one of the people that needs a fairly low dose of Dex. If I take too much I feel much how you described.

5mg in the morning and 5mg at lunch was good for me and I stayed on this dose for a couple weeks. I slowly increased to a dose of 10mg morn. and 10mg lunch. Any more than this made me feel overstimulated and was counter-productive to my treatment of ADD.

Try not be in too much of a rush to increase your dose. I'd recommend staying on 5mg twice a day for a week or even more, so you can properly judge how it's working for you. The effects should be subtle and not extreme.

I wish you luck it can be frustrating getting the meds. right but once you do they can help a fair bit.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-09, 11:54 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,938 Times in 7,993 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

Well, glad to know I'm not the only one that doesn't seem to get a very good effect until my second dose. I started on 20 mg in the morning and 20 at noon. I can barely tell until around 1pm that it's working..

You sound anxious and that has to be having an effect as well. It's best to ramp it up slowly.. don't even try and figure out how to get it right in a couple of days.. I took 3 days between each upping of the levels.. and waited patiently for any results. So far... hmmm but perhaps it's not the right one for me.
Old 03-25-09, 01:59 AM

Hi,

thanks for the replys. Just got out the bed and I'm feeling okay.

When I recall the first three days, I was eating more and and drinking not so much cola and the effects were okay. So I think it really makes a huge what you drink and eat when you are on stimulantes, especially on amphetamines.

I'll try to get it working with Dex-drops because I don't have so much other possibilities. I tried every Methylphenidat brand availabe on the German market and it didn't help me.

The first three days were really okay, just this one yesterday was messed up. Seems like the line between having good effects and beeing overstimulated is a small one.

I would really much like to try Adderall XR and Vyvanse but that means I have to import this medication. Don't know if it's possbile that my insurance pays for it. Just heard, that I had to pay 500 $ for one Packet of Adderall XR when I wanna try it. Vyvanse could be even more expensive.

Maybe the doctor, treating me for my bipolar disorder can write me a prescription which is covered by my insurance but she hasn't replied to my last two mails so I guess she is out of office.

Will report how it worked, when I'm back from school.
Old 03-25-09, 06:20 AM
ADDvanced Member

kara59 has a spectacular aura aboutkara59 has a spectacular aura about

Dear Maverick420,

Drink plenty of water, eat a well-balanced diet, sleep in regular cycles, exercise & take your medication as perscribed. Give this one month before you try another med.

Best of luck, kara50
Old 03-25-09, 02:30 PM

I strongly think now, that dextoamphetamine isn't the right med for me.

In the morning, I took 5 drops. That's like 6,35 mg dexamhetaminesulfat. It worked okay and after 4 hours, I took 3 droups what makes a total dose of 10 mg/day.

It was working in a way. I started to think of real important issues and made a to-do list.

Then, when I was at home for an hour, I "crashed". I got tired in a strange way and very slow.

I read on adultadd.info

Quote:
Occasionally the level of the medication builds up in the brain and this interferes with its action. Sometimes in these cases, periodically stopping the medication for a few days and then restarting it works. I have one patient who does this weekly and a few who regularly take their medication only two or three times a week because they get disturbing side effects if they take them more often.

Maybe I'm one of these patients or amphetamines are completly nothing for my case. I will tell my doctor tomorrow after I slept. Right now, I just feel so damn slow.

I will suggesst, that I can stay off the dex for 2-3 days and then try it again with 5 mg/day split on to 2,5 mg doses.

Then, if the results are okay, I won't take it the next day and see how I'm feeling. If I'm okay, I will take dex again on the next day.

Having this "withdraw" right now shouldn't be the way it should be I think. Never felt like this before and I really hope, that I will recovered by tomorrow.

The first three days were really okay but then I noticed, that some kind of med-level was raising up.

I know that many people benefit from these drugs but maybe I don't and I have to find something other.

This sucks. Was hoping so much, that it would help me and I have upcoming final exams in 4 1/2 weeks and I must start some hardcore-learning. Oh damn, this is going to be hard but isn't that something we like? Challenges ... Raise dopmain and noradrenalin levels in a natural way seems to be the best therapy available for ADD at all ...

Old 04-05-09, 09:57 PM

demitriden will become famous soon enough

Hey Maverick,

Please update us with what's been going on with you!
What dosages have you tried so far, when during the day, and how has it affected you?
Have you decided if amps are the right medication for you? If not then what are you gonna try next?
Old 12-01-12, 05:14 AM

Thanked 1,367 Times in 562 Posts
InvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond repute

I get the exact same effects in the exact same way.

Here's what I know,

A few problems with your dosing,

You never found the right dose, and never did a proper titration process. Not that im lecturing you, i've done the same many times before.

Solution: you need to go up by 2.5 mgs each dose after it wears off, you should see improvement in attention, task management and staying on task without hyper focus.

Note: hyperfocus is not always an indication of too much as most people believe, some adhd people are naturally more acclimated to hyperfocus so small doses can cause this and larger doses can stop this. Most docs think in opposite terms.

Next thing you need to do, is after finding two doses that are identical, you need to go back down to the first dose that had the greatest improvement. This would be your target dose.

Now, after this, you need to change how you dose your meds, no citrus anything with your meds, a full glass of water, no food, no vitamin c or multivitamins until the evening, not coffee with dex.

Next thing is you need to make sure you are resting, and resting well. Poor sleep equals poor brain. Now, if you are adhd like me, you probably have trouble sleeping at night. The solution is to exercise like crazy before bed, has to be weights if you are healthy enough. The muscle fatigue, will keep body restlessness during sleep to a minimum and you will sleep like a baby if you worked to exhaustion. It also decreases stress.

Next, dont exercise strenuously in the morning except for light cardio and eat break fast an hour and a half after meds. This means wake up at 5:30 go to bed early, which is hard for adhd people to do as well but if you exercise like I said, you will be able to sleep. If you still can't fall asleep after fifteen minutes in bed, exercise some more, keep doing this until your body feels like complete **** and all you want is a bed.

Finally, you need to look at how you space your dose out, a front loaded dose is double your normal dose and then half, with half and half, through out the day. Some people will dose twice their normal dose and think "oh this is what I really need" and then they will take the same dose again and feel like a zombie.

Look at its duration too, when it starts, when it ends, your mental clarity, etc.

Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to InvitroCanibal For This Useful Post:
Pilgrim (04-27-17)
Old 04-11-17, 06:00 PM

EeriDayz is on a distinguished road

Dextroamphetamine compounding is a service some chemists provide. it mixes a chewing gum with the drug and it slowly releases over 12 hours. Much better than vyvanse, or any other form of adhd med. psychiatrist needs to put sustained release on the prescription and then you take it to a compounder. costs about 90 dollars a month. The compound is "Methocell k15mp"
There is a pertition to make it standard issue in Australia.