ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Dexedrine/Dextrostat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Dexedrine/Dextrostat (dextroamphetamine)

Old 11-04-14, 09:41 PM

ak2146 has disabled reputation
Dr's suggestion - take valium with dex - normal/ok?

Hi all,

I was getting very nervous and anxiety prone on the following daily dosage for my diagnosed inattentive ADD condition:

6am - 5mg Dex Sulphate

12pm - 5mg Dex Sulphate

6pm - 5mg Dex Sulphate

Now, my Dr has recommended the following daily dosage:

6am - 5mg Dex Sulphate + 2mg valium

12pm - 5mg Dex Sulphate + 2mg valium

6pm - 5mg Dex Sulphate + 2mg valium

Does this sound normal and/or ok? Wouldn't the valium cancel/level out the dex effects? I'm really confused. I would be most obliged to hear from anyone who has combined valium + Dex Sulfate on a daily basis? Thanks.

Regards,

Ak2146.
Old 11-04-14, 10:42 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,094 Times in 15,350 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dr's suggestion - take valium with dex - normal/ok?

Well yes~ that's odd. Rather than lower your dex dose your doctor would rather add in a long a acting benzo?

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
ak2146 (11-04-14), Flory (11-04-14)
Old 11-04-14, 11:23 PM

Hemley is on a distinguished road

Hi there,
I'm in Australia as well and my psych has done a similar thing. I take up to 30mg of dex daily and he recommended 2.5mg of valium 3Xday with the dex. I wake up really anxious, so eye ball approx 2mg valium with morning dose dex and then take 2.5mg valium at night as needed. I think his reasoning was the full on anxiety I was experiencing and no other meds had helped. The dex has helped calm anxiety, but now I'm anxious about getting anxious (if that makes sense). Is your psych planning on keeping you on the valium long term?
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemley For This Useful Post:
ak2146 (11-05-14)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-14, 11:32 PM
Mrs dvdnvwls

Thanked 18,906 Times in 9,305 Posts
BellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, strange....
The Following User Says Thank You to BellaVita For This Useful Post:
ak2146 (11-04-14)
Old 11-04-14, 11:51 PM

I know it's strange - that's why I am concerned! I'm not a clinician/doctor, just an educated add patient with a critical mind. My doctor's recommendations don't FEEL right to me. Very confused.
The Following User Says Thank You to ak2146 For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (11-04-14)
Old 11-05-14, 01:03 AM

Hemley - Thanks for sharing your experiences. Yes, my Dr. is planning on me being on valium and dex long-term. I don't want that, as I don't want to become addicted to valium! I have enough problems already being inattentive add! Thanks.

Last edited by ak2146; 11-05-14 at 01:05 AM.. Reason: Name insertion
The Following User Says Thank You to ak2146 For This Useful Post:
michaelaisabell (11-09-14)
Old 11-05-14, 01:53 AM

Hemley is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak2146 View Post
Hemley - Thanks for sharing your experiences. Yes, my Dr. is planning on me being on valium and dex long-term. I don't want that, as I don't want to become addicted to valium! I have enough problems already being inattentive add! Thanks.
In my experience all psych meds are addictive - I've had terrible withdrawals coming off supposedly non addictive meds. I think the reason why dex and benzo are particularly labelled addictive is because people who don't have the conditions they are meant to treat, abuse them for whatever short term effect and everyone has to compensate for that fall out. Have you tried any of the anti depressant drugs that are also meant to help with anxiety? If not you can always bring it up with your Dr. as an alternative-the only thing is they take a while to take effect and if they don't work, you then have all that down time in between before trying another one, then if that one doesn't work..repeat. My guess is the Dr. might be trying to save you from that merry go round-again another question for Dr. In the end if you don't want to take it, you don't have to!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hemley For This Useful Post:
ak2146 (11-05-14), BellaVita (11-05-14), Lunacie (03-29-15)
Old 11-05-14, 02:15 AM

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I've tried most of the anti-deps over the last 15 years - nothing worked, they just made me worse! I decided last year that I will never use anti-deps again in my life. So, now I'm trying Dex, and, so far, the dex isn't working at all - just makes me jittery and nervous all the time. One day I'll find that magic pill! Thanks again. Appreciate your thoughts.
Old 11-05-14, 02:26 AM

Winszton is on a distinguished road

I don't really think it's very odd at all. I am not a normally anxious person, but if I take dexedrine then I am very anxious and 'on edge'. Little noises will annoy me, I don't want to be around people at all, and I'm just generally in a state of anxiety.

Recently I asked my doctor about this and she put me on low dose Clonazepam. And it works just wonderfully.

Anyways:
1. Don't combine benzos with it unless you have tried all other options as far as changing your ADHD drug or dose of it.
2. If you are anxious even not on ADHD drugs, treat that with something other than benzos. Try all options.. SSRIS, Lyrica, etc.
3. Do NOT take the benzo daily or even most days of the week. Maybe 3 days a week would be sustainable long run.
4. Do NOT take a large dose. Take the lowest possible. Just take enough to make the anxiety okay so you can go about your day, you don't have to eliminate all of the anxiety.
5. Take breaks! Benzos are super addictive. Maybe every 3 weeks on, take 1 week off so you won't get hooked.

All of this is because A. Benzos are quite bad for you in the first place. B. They are very very addictive unless you take serious precaution.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Winszton For This Useful Post:
ak2146 (11-05-14), Pilgrim (11-05-14)
Old 11-05-14, 02:40 AM

Thanks. I appreciate your thoughtful comments.
Old 11-05-14, 03:07 AM
Mrs dvdnvwls

Thanked 18,906 Times in 9,305 Posts
BellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winszton View Post
I don't really think it's very odd at all. I am not a normally anxious person, but if I take dexedrine then I am very anxious and 'on edge'. Little noises will annoy me, I don't want to be around people at all, and I'm just generally in a state of anxiety.

Recently I asked my doctor about this and she put me on low dose Clonazepam. And it works just wonderfully.

Anyways:
1. Don't combine benzos with it unless you have tried all other options as far as changing your ADHD drug or dose of it.
2. If you are anxious even not on ADHD drugs, treat that with something other than benzos. Try all options.. SSRIS, Lyrica, etc.
3. Do NOT take the benzo daily or even most days of the week. Maybe 3 days a week would be sustainable long run.
4. Do NOT take a large dose. Take the lowest possible. Just take enough to make the anxiety okay so you can go about your day, you don't have to eliminate all of the anxiety.
5. Take breaks! Benzos are super addictive. Maybe every 3 weeks on, take 1 week off so you won't get hooked.

All of this is because A. Benzos are quite bad for you in the first place. B. They are very very addictive unless you take serious precaution.
For me, benzos make me live a happy productive life.

I've been taking then for years with no problems.

The new young pdocs are taught to tell people that benzos are scary and addictive, but they really aren't.

I'm definitely not addicted to my Clonazepam, and it helps me live a normal functional life.

You do not need to skip days if your doctor instructed you to take it every day, I take my Clonazepam every single day and it's fine.

I've gone off it several times with minimal to no problems.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BellaVita For This Useful Post:
ak2146 (11-05-14), clydethompson (01-11-15)
Old 11-05-14, 04:52 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,861 Times in 1,181 Posts
Pilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud of

I had an anxiety issue when on Dex. I think wisely I got an SSRI. I don't really like SSRIs but I must say it helped. The SSRI puts an emotional ceiling on the way I feel ,I don't like it.

I think Dex is a lot Better for ADD although I had less side effects on Ritalin.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pilgrim For This Useful Post:
ak2146 (11-05-14)
Old 11-08-14, 11:47 AM

Tried it out for 3 days. Definitely a no-go! Felt extremely 'weird' and 'totally un-focused'. Not worth it from my personal experience. Much better to 'exist' as an unmedicated inattentive ADD person!
Old 11-08-14, 04:01 PM
ADDvanced Member

Spektur will become famous soon enough

While it's certainly common to be prescribed dexedrine with a benzo the route in which you got there seems kind of odd. That's a lot of benzo for that dose of dex. Did the dex give you anxiety from the beginning of dosing or is it possibly related to the crash?

I had the same issue with anxiety though I felt it was due to feeling like the crash was around the corner. My doc first suggested increasing the dex dose. I mentioned benzo's and she quickly shot me down.

I had to go through effexor and brintellix before I had to cut her off because she was on to the next one, Paxil, Zoloft, etc. I suffered through 2 ssri's that was enough for me, they don't agree with me.

Anyways, Ssri's are always the first line against anxiety. No doc is going to be like oh you've never had treatment for anxiety, here try Xanax, practically never happens. I basically had to play nice for 6 months to prove I'm not a druggy, and, let's be honest here, benzos are no joke.

I finally got a script for Ativan, not exactly my first choice but it's a foot in the door. 3 months of playing nice with Ativan she said I could get klonopin if I want, we'll see.

So, what I'm saying is your doc seems out of line. It takes time to get benzos, and for good reason. They work great, an ssri can't touch them, but like my doc told me, if you finish your dexedrine script early each month you'll just get sleepy, I know everyone is different. However if you finish that benzo script early your going to be horribly uncomfortable.

I could tell that they demand respect from the get go. Only takes a couple of times of using ativan for what supposed to be situational anxiety before you magically have situational anxiety the days you didn't take a benzo because of the withdrawal. Benzos create their own demand, so yah man, proceed with caution. You could ask me about any other drug and I'd be like sure go for it, whatever, so I don't say proceed with caution willy nilly.

People will say ah benzos arn't euphoric or they're a crappy high I'd never abuse them. True they're not addictive in the euphoric sense, however if you truly have anxiety problems there is nothing like a benzo. The relief the first time was mind blowing. They make themselves easy to reach for and next thing you know you have to taper drastically to make it to the next month.

So you've either got too low of a dose of dex or too high depending on when the anxiety hits. Adderrall is far worse for the anxiety prone, something to keep in mind if your doc wants to go that route.
Old 11-09-14, 05:37 AM

Thanks. Based upon my personal experience of this drug combo treatment and dex treatment alone, I choose to stay unmedicated. I am not a drug user/abuser, and I deeply respect my mind. Most importantly, I learn from my personal experiences: Never again will I take Dex and/or valium alone and/or in combination.