ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 08-26-09, 07:33 PM
Contributor

odsybmx734 is on a distinguished road
Adderall not helping with racing mind.

I have been using Adderall for a long time, well long enough to be fairly fimillar with it. I have tried XR, IR, and 15mg-30mg. I am now on 20mg XR and I just don't feel satisfied. I am able to get up and finish what I start but my mind is all over the place, the Adderall does nothing but make it easier to comprehend my racing thoughts, and notice them more..

Adderall is the only thing that has worked for me out of concerta/straterra and I just switched from 30mg XR so switching to a new medication would probably make me look suspicous or something to my doctor but I don't know what to do.

I have taken vicodin for migraines and I LOVELOVELOVE the way it just puts my mind in it's place! but it is an opiate and I can't just be dropping opiates everyday of my life. I wish whatever was in vicodin that helps my mind could be combined with adderall, that would be amazing. But I don't know if it's the bad stuff 'helping' or if it is some side ingredient. I am desperate right now because I want to be content in my mind and just be in one place but I want to do it without abusing drugs.

This is so hard to explain because the Adderall does help me, A LOT, and even with my mind racing I can accomplish things while on it, but I don't necessarily enjoy my mind racing all day!

Anyone else out there ever feel this way? What can/should I do?
Old 08-26-09, 09:40 PM
ADDvanced Member

Roserazzle has a spectacular aura aboutRoserazzle has a spectacular aura about
Re: Adderall not helping with racing mind.

I feel so sorry about this. I know you are frustrated.
Tell the doc what the vicodin does when you take them for your migranes. Tell your doc you are NOT interested in taking vicodin for the racing thoughts.
ask your doc what you can do about this problem on a daily basis. Do not feel bad about this. racy thoughts are annoying, I know.
talk to the doc :-)
Old 08-26-09, 10:07 PM

radryan1979 is on a distinguished road

Nothing shuts the chatter up - or at least for me - welll, heavy drinking does, but that usually doesn't turn out well. If you find something that works, let me know!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-09, 10:31 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roserazzle View Post
I feel so sorry about this. I know you are frustrated.
Tell the doc what the vicodin does when you take them for your migranes. Tell your doc you are NOT interested in taking vicodin for the racing thoughts.
ask your doc what you can do about this problem on a daily basis. Do not feel bad about this. racy thoughts are annoying, I know.
talk to the doc :-)

Sad thing is, I have done this, many many times with a few different docs. They really could give a **** less! I wish I was joking! They usually don't really take me seriously...I am 17!!!... and I know it is hard to believe but I HATE getting 'messed up' but I gotta tell you it is the BIGGEST relief waiting for the vicodin to start working just KNOWING that my mind will be at peace soon.

I talked to my mom about it, she has had experience with anti-depressants/anxiety medications and I think I might ask my NEW doctor if this might help me... but until then I hope some more of you out there read this and relate so I don't feel so alone. I feel like not many people have this racing thought problem persist while on medication...but I can't even fall asleep. I tell myself to just stop thinking, and then I have this second level of thought that is thinking about not thinking....IT SUCKS!
Old 08-26-09, 11:07 PM

specialk4959 is on a distinguished road

I would recommend meditation, 15+ minutes in the morning and 15+ minutes at night. This will give your mind a chance to rest and slow down. When you sit down to begin meditation don't be discouraged or resist your minds desire to race forward. Instead try to step out of your mind and watch your thoughts come and go as they will without judgment or resistence. If you would prefer to focus on an object or your breathing then continue to bring your attention back to that focus as your mind wanders. After 15 minutes or so things should start to slow down in your head.
The Following User Says Thank You to specialk4959 For This Useful Post:
Roserazzle (08-28-09)
Old 08-26-09, 11:31 PM

My2Livers is on a distinguished road

Hi, Ods.
I'm a newbie here, and a newbie to adderall, and my experience is slightly different, but I sure can empathize. I'm old, had a liver transplant 6 years ago, and then became insane (from the meds). Crazy, paranoid, suicidal, and couldn't focus at all. Please believe me, you will get thru this. There is hope. How long have U been on adderall? I'm finally fairly sane and focused these days, but it took a lot of research on my part, getting connected with others on the internet, asking questions, and then presenting my docs with the results of my research and INSISTING that they give me the drugs that I thought would be best. I was right! I figured out the drug that was making me paranoid, and thru a friend on the web I found out about adderall, which 4 me has given me greater focus. But we are all different. Know that U will get better. Believe it. And be pro-active. Don't be afraid of what docs think of U. U R your best advocate (besides your mom, probably!) We all care. Put on some music and do some hip-hop. That always helps me! Peace and best wished. Keep the faith!
Old 08-27-09, 08:07 AM
ADDvanced Member

Roserazzle has a spectacular aura aboutRoserazzle has a spectacular aura about

Good morning Ods,
Yeah, I was thinking antidepressants... start with something mild though... don't let a doc put you on something heavy... start low. They are helpful. I took zoloft and paxil at various times when I thought I was depressed... well my doc thought I was "just depressed" I was just diagnosed with ADHD (I am not 17... more like *cough cough* fif *cough* ty) so I have suffered a long time and being that I am "so brilliant" it took me a long time to get here.
talk to your doc about an ssri perhaps. Paxil 10mg to start? start low

ps: I am an old nurse so I know a bit about pharmacology but certainly no genius
Old 08-27-09, 09:26 AM
Contributor

Thank you guys for all the replies, I reaaaaaaaaaaally really appreciate it. I have been taking Adderall for almost 2 years, but I have taken probably 2 large breaks from it within those two years. I feel amazing when I don't take adderall, I am myself, but I have this school thing to worry about....I mean, I hate society to be honest....but if I ever want to be apart of it one day I am going to need school so I figure I mileswell suffer now to increase my options later on in life you know.

I agree with you My2, I spend half the day on the internet before taking any new medications, and I guess it is just time I get over whatever it is that stops me from just telling the doctor what the hell is up! lol ......I guess if anyone gives me any problems there are always more doctors in the world.
Old 08-27-09, 01:02 PM

Danuts is on a distinguished road

Racing thoughts are not a symptom of ADHD, but Bipolar Disorder. If you are Bipolar and taking adderall alone, this could actually make your racing thoughts much worse.

Also, I would definitely stay away from the vicodin. You are just asking for an addiction problem if you keep taking them. I know from experience...
Old 08-27-09, 01:23 PM
Contributor

I DONT HAVE ADHD

I HAVE ADD

RACING BRAIN SYNDROME if i have researched correctly WAS THE DIAGNOSIS FOR INATTENTIVE ADD, maybe even ADHD as well, before they were better known as individual conditions.

But that's all I need, another ******* disorder. I guess I will go start researching to see if I am Bipolar now......
Old 08-28-09, 12:46 AM

Danuts is on a distinguished road

ADHD is now the current term for all forms of ADD, inattentive, combined and hyperactive. ADHD=ADD
Old 08-28-09, 10:25 AM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danuts View Post
ADHD is now the current term for all forms of ADD, inattentive, combined and hyperactive. ADHD=ADD
Sorry to have to say this, But I could really care less what the current terminology is. If someone has ADHD it is a completely different situation from a person who has ADD, you cannot give advice/make judgment universally and expect to be accurate.

I think it's total crap that they combine them all into one name...they wouldn't do it with other disorders and they don't so why do they do it with this. Does it somehow make it easier for THEM, cause it sure as hell just complicates a lot of **** for me.
Old 04-29-18, 07:14 PM

Completelyme67 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Adderall not helping with racing mind.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! I have been struggling with this to the letter. I didn't think anyone would understand what I was talking about. I can accomplish my tasks but my mind is still all over the place to the point where it's almost creepy. In other words, the Adderall works for some things but does nothing for others.
Old 04-30-18, 01:57 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Completelyme67 View Post
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! I have been struggling with this to the letter. I didn't think anyone would understand what I was talking about. I can accomplish my tasks but my mind is still all over the place to the point where it's almost creepy. In other words, the Adderall works for some things but does nothing for others.
Unfortunately, the OP looks like has been absent from this forum for the past few years.

To be clear, are you saying that the Adderall makes your racing thoughts worse, but that it overall helps your productivity?