ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Concerta
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Concerta (methylphenidate) Time released Ritalin - 10 hour long acting tablet.

Old 12-21-11, 02:39 PM

tallahassa is on a distinguished road
Smile The right effect from meds - Energy or slow???

Hi, I was just diagnosed adhd 4 weeks ago. I hope somone will take there time to read

I first started taking Medikinet 20 mg ( same as Ritalin) a day, for about 2-3 weeks and today is my first day on Concerta 18 mg.

I am so confused! I am well aware that we are all different people, and some meds are good for some people, and that you have an adjusting period, but I cannot figure out what the right feeling is to get when you are medicated.

On Medikinet 20 mg I can always feel when the pill is starting to work and when it wears of.
How I feel it is different from day to day. Sometimes it is a warm, slow nice feeling where I am kind of happy and other times it is a nervous, bit energizing feeling where I feel more confused, but it always wears of in about 30 minutes and thereafter I am calm, my movements are slower, I am not so annoyed from noises in the traffic anymore and it is a good basic feeling. When it start to wear of I feel an overwhelming tiredness, sometimes irritable and sometimes I'm shaking. No appetite loss or problems sleeping at all. The bad thing about this is that I'm maybe to slow.

Today I started on Concerta 18 mg so the meds could last all day.
One good thing is that I didn't feel it started to work like Medikinet, no shaking, confusions, nervousness or anything, but that's about it. I felt a had energy, I cleaned my house, felt really awake, loss of appetite, but no high or euphoric.

My problems is that I am way to energetic, and when I am cleaning the house, I am running from one thing to another, I tend to hyper focus and I generally want to be more relaxed in everything I do, and the Concerta gave me nothing at all, just energy and still running from place to place.

I have read so many different things about what people are experiencing from the meds. Some say they get more energy from the meds, and that they are finally able to clean the house, some say that they are getting more tired and they are finally able to sit still.

How is it that you can get so different feelings from the meds? '

Some people say that if you get more energy from the meds, then you are not adhd. I start to wonder if I am adhd, but how can I then have the opposite effect on Medikinet ?

How are you really supposed to react ? I know that you are supposed to be more focused, but does that mean more awake or more slow?

I hope it is not to complicated questions, and there is someone who can help shine a light upon my frustrations
Thank you....
Old 12-21-11, 03:25 PM

thefer is on a distinguished road
Re: The right effect from meds - Energy or slow???

Hi

I am honestly trying to figure this out as well. I started Concerta this week and I am confused about how I am supposed to feel. I feel different compared to the long acting dexedrine that I was on before. With dexedrine, I felt calm but when it wore off, I crashed hard.

With Concerta 36 mg, when it started working, I felt hyper and more anxious, blood pressure was high, disconnected. Noticed some changes with impulsivity and ability to focus more, but I wasn't motivated. It seemed to wear off gradually and I didn't get that crash feeling as bad. It didn't do anything to settle down the hyperactivity part.

Today, my dr moved me down to 27 mg and have noticed a difference. I feel alot more calmer, no heart racing, more focused and not very hyper.

I suspect that my body had a hard time adjusting to a high dose to start with. We are going to try a week at 27 mg and then go back to 36 mg.

thanks
Old 12-21-11, 04:27 PM

tallahassa is on a distinguished road

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only on to have so big differences with meds. But as well as I know I can't take a smaller dose than 18 mg Concerta like you did Right now I'm considering to go back to Medikinet tomorrow, cause then I will at least feel calm for half a day, rather than this energy that I already had to begin with....
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-12, 01:18 AM
Contributor

escott has disabled reputation

You wouldnt it would be the same because they are the same thing. If they had add then they would not be more awake but would be able concentrate. That doesnt make them slow
Old 07-09-12, 09:45 PM
ADDvanced Member

Asier3d has a spectacular aura aboutAsier3d has a spectacular aura about

Maybe if you're more impulsive, medication will help you slow down and the opposite effect for an inatentive adhd.*
We have different reactions depending on our subtype, but it's external thing. Internally is the same for all; inhibition of dopamine reuptake
Old 07-11-12, 05:47 PM
Jr Member

Sille84 is on a distinguished road

If you have ADHD (hyper) you might feel aple to be more calm/sit still.
If you have ADD (without hyper) you might feel aple to do things, like cleaning and so on. But you should not feel like the medws make you "hype", then dose is to high.

Signs that dose is way to high:

-You feel anxiety (or a sign that the meds isn't right for you and you should try another medicin or just another kind of methylphenidat)
-You feel "hyper"/full of energy
-You'r head feels zoombie-like

Signs that the meds is working and that you are on the right dose:

-You can hardly feel/don't notice the effect med.

^Which means (for people with ADD): If you feel that it is very clear/noticable to you when it starts working, for examble because you get a lot of energy, then you take way to much.
If you reduce dose from that and you for examble feel fine after 30-45 minutes, but then afterwards you feel tired when the meds really kick in (after + 1 hour) then dose is still to high.

--> I'm going through that right now. Thought I was tires because my reduced dose was to low.

But then today I remembered that I read that a to high dose could make you feel Zoombie-like (hope you understand what I mean by that). And today I felt really good at first when I toke my medicin. But then afterwards, when the effect should be at the right/highest I started feeling really tired and lazy again.
So now I can just sit here and wait for it to wear of in 5-6 hours

Anyways, my point: The right dose is when you don't notice the effect, but you don't miss it either.

Have been on Motiron, Concerta, Ritalin Uno, Strattera and Modiodal in that order. Is now back on Concerta.
Old 07-11-12, 06:01 PM
Jr Member

Sille84 is on a distinguished road

http://www.livestrong.com/article/73...rta-dose-much/

Have been on Motiron, Concerta, Ritalin Uno, Strattera and Modiodal in that order. Is now back on Concerta.
Old 07-11-12, 06:20 PM
ADDvanced Member

Chicchick will become famous soon enough

Ritalin makes me like a speed demon.

Adderall calms me down... I can basically pick what I want to do. I love to relax and just write/think about things, but if I wanted I could go clean the house too.

Overall I suppose Adderall is a better med for me. Ritalin is just sooo much better for my mood.

I think for hyperactives, they should calm them down. For PI ADD, they should energize them. I think it should just balance your energy and make it productive rather than just being hyper.

Meds: Wellbutrin, Adderall, Ritalin and Xanax as needed.
Supplements: L-Tyrosine, 5-HTP, Valerian, B-complex, Fish Oil, Ginseng and Ginkgo.
Old 07-11-12, 08:35 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,063 Times in 15,336 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I think overall its a myth to think a drug will act one way or another for a person with adhd. Every person is dfifferent and for some even without PI they will get energeized. Some without PI will get sleepy. It just means you need a diferent med.

I carried a watermelon?