ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 06-21-19, 08:29 AM

pejatavar is on a distinguished road
Weekly cycling of medication types for reduced tolerance

I have been on Dexedrine for about 2 years. I found tolerance built up fast and quickly found myself on the highest dose (within 6 months). It got to the point that I started taking an extra pill here and there for days that I really needed the medication to work. Obviously this is against what the doctor orders but I found it necessary. As you can imagine I would run out of my meds before the next refill and go through a few days of withdraws on a monthly basis.

I have decided to stop taking Dexedrine for a few months to get my tolerance down. I am trying to now figure out a good system to keep tolerance from building as quickly.

Before I realised I had ADHD I experimented with LSD micro dosing and modafinil. Tolerance was also an issue with those.

Has anyone tried cycling medications with good results?

Last edited by namazu; 06-21-19 at 10:06 AM.. Reason: Please see ADDF guidelines re: support of illegal drug use / misuse of medications.
Old 06-21-19, 12:26 PM

Re: Weekly cycling of medication types for reduced tolerance

Just to make it clear my idea is to use 3 different meds that work on different receptors over 3 consecutive days at a time, then repeat. I believe this will allow for minimal tolerance to any single med as 3 day breaks are taken between particular medication type.

Does this make sense? Has anyone tried such an idea?
Old 06-22-19, 04:48 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,063 Times in 15,336 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Tolerance is real, and I didnt use to believe in that. But i do not believe you can "reset" tolerance by taking breaks because once you go back to taking it I believe your tolerance can creep back up again. I am on an above average dose of adderall due to absorption issues. There are days where I feel like and extra pill may help but I just view the medicine as something that is meant to guide along in the backround and that I do not need to "feel" it. That is a huge issue for some people. Many people look for the euphoria or have unrealistic expectations. I am not saying you do though. Discipline is what I have to practice on days I feel like tolerance is an issue. I will say that in general I do not walk around feeling like my meds are useless. I know how it feels to be off them and feeling like they "could work better" is not the same as "not working at all".

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
aeon (06-22-19), Lunacie (06-22-19)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-19, 10:59 PM

I do notice 2 week breaks do make a difference for me. I can half my dose and it works just as well. Some articles I have read say tolerance goes to half in 2 weeks.

If this were true don't you agree only taking adderal every 3rd day could keep me on this half dose much longer or permanently compared to taking it every day? Im guessing tolerance builds when you body sees the drug in its system everyday. It has to do with down regulation of the receptors among other things right?

With 2 day breaks im guessing this will not be the case?

Has anyone tried this?
Old 06-24-19, 08:03 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 22,328 Times in 12,023 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Ask your doctor.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
aeon (06-24-19)