ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Medications for Co-Existing Conditions > Anti-Convulsants
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-16, 03:56 AM

BenHawkins is on a distinguished road
Cool Re: Gabapentin for ADHD

I take Lyrica for ADHD related anxiety. And it does help. Lyrica is a more potent cousin of gabapentin (pregabalin).
The Following User Says Thank You to BenHawkins For This Useful Post:
Roxx1980 (01-05-17)
Old 07-24-16, 07:15 PM

lalalashazam is on a distinguished road
Re: Gabapentin for ADHD

I've been taking gabapentin for about 2 years. I was prescribed ( 3 x 300mg a day) to me after I was diagnosed with epiiepsy My neurologist wasn't sure I really needed it--I've had at most a dozen seizures in my whole life. I find it helps to soothe the 'wired', unpleasant feeling I often get from stimulants. It's as effective as benzodiazepines to calm mental and physical over-arousal, it helps me sleep and yet it seems utterly non-addicting. I doubt I could tolerate stimulants if it weren't for this. [Before I was diagnosed with epilepsy, my former G.P. had me on Wellbutrin because he would't prescribe major stimulants to an adult. He refused to prescribe the clonazepam I had been taking for years because, according to him, it "turns the brain into Swiss cheese". I really doubt that prevented him from prescribing it systematically to the elderly patients who made up the bulk of his practice. He was the kind of inept, in-it-for-the-money a--hole who just hands you the same pre-written prescription as last time even before you've had a chance to sit down. The epilepsy was a blessing in disguise.]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lalalashazam For This Useful Post:
Anchor Sapien (07-29-16), Roxx1980 (01-05-17)
Old 07-29-16, 08:25 AM

Anchor Sapien is on a distinguished road

Hello, new here and looking for feedback on gabapentin because I have begun taking it. In advance of bloodwork results and a mental health evaluation to determine if something else is more appropriate. My first bloodwork came back with possible low thyroid, but that puzzled doc a bit since I'm thin and energetic. Gabapentin—not sure how much it's helping thus far, but it doesn't feel like it's doing anything unintended to me. Have only been on it for less than a week, but I'm on my 3 times per day dosage after a slow but rapid ramping up. I do feel like it might be helping me to be more who I can be, but of course much more feedback from my own body is needed. Thanks for this discussion.
The Following User Says Thank You to Anchor Sapien For This Useful Post:
Roxx1980 (01-05-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-16, 01:22 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,550 Times in 932 Posts
Laserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to behold

Like I said in the other thread, I don't find a difference between Gabapentin and a sugar pill.

She was told that it was. There was just a moment of silence before
the woman proceeded bravely on. "Well, I'm wondering, then, how serious my
condition is. This prescription is marked `NO REFILLS'".
The Following User Says Thank You to Laserbeak For This Useful Post:
Roxx1980 (07-29-17)
Old 07-30-16, 12:30 AM

Anchor Sapien is on a distinguished road

I should also say that I *have* noticed it affecting me in a physical sense, just not strongly yet and not in a negative way. Whether or not it's affecting me in a mental sense, I cannot yet say.
Old 03-14-17, 01:27 PM
Jr Member

adhbee is on a distinguished road

I've been taking 900mg of Gabapentin for anxiety since last October.. No effects on the ADHD from personal experience, but it's really hard to tell if it's actually helping my anxiety either. No side effects, so at least there's that.
Old 06-25-17, 07:36 AM

JakeH99 is on a distinguished road

In today's world, one cannot rule anything out really with 100% certainty, but for ADHD, it might help only for various types of subclasses of "ADD" that fall under ADHD. So, to answer question, it might help mitigate some of the effects of the ADHD symptoms, but does it treat it...I am not certain. I have been on 300 mg 3x/Day of Neurontin and I don't feel it is helpful in regards to 'concentration/focus' but could definitely help alleviate anxiety. I was on Gabapentin/Neurontin for years so I'm very familiar as it comes in 100's and 300's correct? I know medicines extremely well and am very well educated on medicines and their uses (off-label and primary uses).
Old 08-05-17, 03:26 AM
ADDvanced Member

fathom6 is on a distinguished road

I have been taking gabapentin for few days. I feel:

- its like being drunk. Very difficult to concentrate.
- difficult to walk straight. difficult to walk down stairs.
- anxiety. Yes, it beautifully takes it away.

But is it all worth it ... I am going to make a decision soon.
Old 01-01-18, 08:56 AM

LMbennett is on a distinguished road

"Mm, in a separate thread I addressed/noted concerns I have regarding impairment that Lamictal causes as well. But we're not talking about Lamictal here..."

Just wanted to say that I've been on Lamictal for several years and it's never made me drowsy, high, memory loss, or anything mentioned here. I know different drugs work better for different people, but that is my experience. Just wanted to put my two sense in about that. ☺
Old 06-04-19, 11:39 PM

unverified is a jewel in the roughunverified is a jewel in the roughunverified is a jewel in the rough

I'm prescribed it right now, and wouldn't recommend it. It helped my anxiety, but would also make me depressed and manic. I'm not sure if it's the culprit for my anxiety in the morning when I don't take anything, but I have a good feeling that it is